Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-04-2013, 05:49 AM   #15
YC1

Just spent 3 weeks hooked to 30 amp. Certainly prefer 50 amp so the washer and electric HWH can be used at the same time with two AC's. However, trying to convince my wife to just turn anything on you like and stop turning off the HWH on electric because the energy management system will simply unload things was a struggle and we have had this rv for 5 years. Just so many years of managing energy I guess.

We were able to run both AC's. I turn the fan motors on both first and then let them turn their compressors on as needed. I believe they may cycle a bit between each AC unit turning off one of the compressors while the other works. The fan placed on low or high will keep the air flowing and any residual cooling will not be lost by the fan in the auto mode shutting down.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Always figured I would be able to run two A/C units off 30 amp. We store our coach stepped down to 120 and I can run fridge, lights and vac without issue. I did start the gen before turning on A/C but it was August in TX....I wanted all three. In November, depending on where you are going in TX, you could probably get away with just one A/C if you even need that. If you run your Aqua-Hot on diesel and watch the micro/convection/air combo, I can't imagine you having any problem. FWIW, on our old coach, I could run 2 A/C's, fridge, coffee pot, lights, etc. on 30 amp. I just couldn't turn on the microwave without losing everything else. I just did more stovetop and grill cooking.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd956jd956 View Post
Greetings, a friend of mine is a proud new Anthem owner and we are talking about camping at a Texas state park this November that only has 30 amp electrical service available. Can the Anthem run a week on only 30 amp service? We assume he can only run one air conditioner at a time, but just not sure about anything else, especially since it has a residential refrigerator. Any advice is very much appreciated! Thank you, Jeff 1997 American Eagle
It will be a learning experience. I'm sure the new coach has an electrical management system that should keep them from tripping the breaker. Managing their expectations may be the hardest part. Running two airs may be tricky depending on how the EMS is set up to shed loads.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How much current does the residential refrigerator draw?

When I'm on a 30 amp pedestal my power panel indicates how much current I'm drawing and I can usually figure out about how many amps are being drawn by an item by turning it off and seeing how it affects the numbers.

I realize it will very from make to make, but approximately what do they draw?
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler6357 View Post
Wow, really?? I just got into RVing and have been fixing up an old Bounder and haven't traveled much in it yet. I was considering upgrading it to 50amp but after reading this I don't think I will.
The older Fleetwoods had a large switch in the kitchen cabinet to select front or rear A/C when hooked to shore power. On the generator both would run. Going into the generator compartment and installing an additional switch (like the one in the cabinet) you could run a additional power cord to the 15 amp outlet. One in 30 and one in 15 amp. Very easy hook up on those Fleetwoods. If you stayed in places like Vegas in the summer you needed both A/C. The mod worked very well.
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #20

Thank you all VERY much!
jd956jd956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Like others when only connected to 30A we need to turn off the electric hot water heater and switch it to propane. We also found out the hard way that the EMS will do that for you if too many things are running. With the propane shut off to it the and the EMS shutting off the power it made for a cold shower

So, sure you can run on 30, just plan what you will use. Our basement ac will draw most everything a 30A has when it first fires up so the electric microwave/convection oven is out of the picture while that is on. You will figure it out.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Texas in November on 30 amps sounds doable to me.

The house I drive is a 50 amp house and it spends half the summer and 2/3 the winter on 30 amps.. You just need the proper dog-bone adapter,, Suggestion, buy two of them.

Only caution I will give you.. At least once a month unplug and inspect the plug, if the thing is turning black, polish it up again.
Old 09-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyorancher View Post
The older Fleetwoods had a large switch in the kitchen cabinet to select front or rear A/C when hooked to shore power. On the generator both would run. Going into the generator compartment and installing an additional switch (like the one in the cabinet) you could run a additional power cord to the 15 amp outlet. One in 30 and one in 15 amp. Very easy hook up on those Fleetwoods. If you stayed in places like Vegas in the summer you needed both A/C. The mod worked very well.
That is a pretty good idea. I will look into where I could put that switch in the generator compartment. There is a large switch in the kitchen cabinet where you can direct the A/C from front or back or in the middle that will run both but only when the generator is running. If I can get one plug with 30 amps and another with 15amps I could run both A/Cs at a 30 amp site. Thanks!
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:57 AM   #24

They wire that switch so the A/C thinks it coming from the generator. I was in Vegas in my 89 Pace Arrow and it was 120 degrees. Guy next to me had the mod so I added it to mine. You need to find that heavy duty switch like in the cupboard to mount in generator compartment
wyorancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:32 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
It will be a learning experience. I'm sure the new coach has an electrical management system that should keep them from tripping the breaker. Managing their expectations may be the hardest part. Running two airs may be tricky depending on how the EMS is set up to shed loads.
I asked at the factory tour if the Anthem had an EMS system...it does not, only a surge protector. I will remove the EMS from my TS and install it on the Anthem. I hate the thought of not having an EMS.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:59 AM   #26

Our Newmar will not run both ACs on 30 amp as we were at the lake last month and just has thirty. This was with the water heater and fridge on gas. After about one minute. The EMS will shut down one of the ACs. So I had a buddy bring out a cheater plug adaptor which plugs into the 20 and the 30 amp plugs and lets you use the 50 amp plug without a dog bone. Then my surge voltage protector said low voltage. Took it out of the loop and the EMS in the Newmar still kicked the second AC out after a minute or so. But I do have a brand new $60 cheater cord adaptor that I will probably never get any use out of laying in the basement. It sure is pretty though.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 07:03 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post

I asked at the factory tour if the Anthem had an EMS system...it does not, only a surge protector. I will remove the EMS from my TS and install it on the Anthem. I hate the thought of not having an EMS.
My original post was confusing because I used the abbreviation EMS. I used it for " electrical management system". This is a system built into many newer motorhomes that monitors incoming power and if it's standard 50 amp power it does nothing. If it detects 30 amp power with one hot then it will act to cut power to some devices if you turn on to many things and attempt to draw too much power. This system would be extremely hard to retrofit to a coach.

There is also the EMS you are referring to "electric monitoring system" like the popular Progressive units which monitor incoming power for faults and if it detects an undesirable condition, it cuts power to the coach. This can be added fairly easily to a coach.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:11 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSCRUDE View Post
Our Newmar will not run both ACs on 30 amp as we were at the lake last month and just has thirty. This was with the water heater and fridge on gas. After about one minute. The EMS will shut down one of the ACs. So I had a buddy bring out a cheater plug adaptor which plugs into the 20 and the 30 amp plugs and lets you use the 50 amp plug without a dog bone. Then my surge voltage protector said low voltage. Took it out of the loop and the EMS in the Newmar still kicked the second AC out after a minute or so. But I do have a brand new $60 cheater cord adaptor that I will probably never get any use out of laying in the basement. It sure is pretty though.
The campground pedestal must have been wired with both the 30 amp and 20 amp outlets on the same electrical phase. The EMS looks for 240 VAC between the two hot legs. If it sees 0 VAC between the legs which you would have if both outlets are on the same phase, then it assumes 30 amp and manages the load. I've got to ask, if your surge protector was reporting low voltage, why did you bypass? Low VAC will kill an A/C over time.

Tags
campground, service