Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2018, 11:58 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann n Gene View Post
Absolutely not legal in Oklahoma not most if not all the states listed. It is legal in most of those states with commercial tags and registration with restrictions including first trailer must have a kingpin. Yes it is done a lot and I have done it but not legal for private vehicles and definitely not behind a motorhome. All JMHO

I would respectfully disagree with you based on the info below.

My sources...

https://www.goodsam.com/article/defa...eID=1195129#TN

http://www.rvsafely.com/rvroadlaws.htm

Specific to your comment on Oklahoma...

Both references indicate that triple towing is allowed in Oklahoma as long as does not exceed 65' combined length.

OKLAHOMA: Maximum RV width 102 in.; maximum motorhome length 45 ft.; maximum trailer length 40 ft.; maximum RV height 13.5 ft.; maximum length of two- or three-vehicle combination 65 ft. Riding allowed in truck campers. Overnight parking in rest areas is allowed, unless posted otherwise. RV Safety Requirements: All trailers: coupling equipment designed to prevent swerving, trailer brakes, breakaway switch and safety chains. Rubber or fabric aprons behind rear wheels required. Driving Laws: Right turn on red allowed unless posted otherwise. More Information: Oklahoma Department of Public Safety—Size & Weight Permit Div., 3600 N. Martin Luther King Blvd., Oklahoma City OK 73136; (405) 425-2206. Emergency number: (405) 425-2385 or *55 on cell phone.
Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2018, 12:55 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conchdog View Post
As we were leaving Fort Wilderness this past Sunday the folks in the picture were hitching up to head out as well.

Looks like an accident waiting to happen...
Friends of mine got a ticket coming from Fort Wilderness in Tallahassee. I think it was because his golf cart was custom painted Ole Miss!
ejl822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 01:01 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejl822 View Post
Friends of mine got a ticket coming from Fort Wilderness in Tallahassee. I think it was because his golf cart was custom painted Ole Miss!
FHP is always thick on I-10 around Tallahassee...lotsa Seminole Fans!
Old 12-27-2018, 02:43 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
I would respectfully disagree with you based on the info below.

My sources...

https://www.goodsam.com/article/defa...eID=1195129#TN

http://www.rvsafely.com/rvroadlaws.htm

Specific to your comment on Oklahoma...

Both references indicate that triple towing is allowed in Oklahoma as long as does not exceed 65' combined length.

OKLAHOMA: Maximum RV width 102 in.; maximum motorhome length 45 ft.; maximum trailer length 40 ft.; maximum RV height 13.5 ft.; maximum length of two- or three-vehicle combination 65 ft. Riding allowed in truck campers. Overnight parking in rest areas is allowed, unless posted otherwise. RV Safety Requirements: All trailers: coupling equipment designed to prevent swerving, trailer brakes, breakaway switch and safety chains. Rubber or fabric aprons behind rear wheels required. Driving Laws: Right turn on red allowed unless posted otherwise. More Information: Oklahoma Department of Public Safety—Size & Weight Permit Div., 3600 N. Martin Luther King Blvd., Oklahoma City OK 73136; (405) 425-2206. Emergency number: (405) 425-2385 or *55 on cell phone.

Interesting, thanks for the post. Not sure I trust good Sam information as Oklahoma DOT enforcement officer, weights and measures,( former neighbor) told me it is absolutely not legal with an RV. But you point out the 65’ max length and with an Entegra would be extremely difficult to stay under that. He told me several years ago so perhaps I missed the law change or something. Not going to look further as I would no longer do it and many will continue with no problem and likely not questioned by law enforcement. I would just caution to take every precaution and provision you can to stay safe and NEVER get in a spot where you can’t go forward. All JMHO
Old 12-27-2018, 03:06 PM   #33

Although I have never pulled a tape measure to verify, I am betting that I am pretty close to that 65’ with just the coach and Tahoe. Given the trend I guess I could add the boat to the back of the Tahoe and the kid’s jet skis behind the boat? :-)

I do know that technically it violates statutes in Florida, Georgia, and Alabama (my neck of the woods).

Have I ever seen someone stopped for triple towing? No

Have I ever seen a trooper with a tape measure out? No
Old 12-27-2018, 04:50 PM   #34

Is this legal??

In Texas it is illegal to pull two trailers behind your Coach, you can however pull a trailer/5th wheel and a small trailer with your PU provided overall length is less than 65 feet. See TDOT rules
https://www.txdmv.gov/reports-and-da...ength-brochure
Larry
Jolar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 06:47 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnorthga View Post

Pulled it 70 no problem

Nice to be in the keys and have everything u need
I have two issues with this thinking. Just because you did not have a problem does not mean you will not have a problem. When operating a nuke plant we maintain an envelop of conditions so if a problem happens no one will be hurt.

Safety is about sharing your experience of a steer tire blowout because you survived the experience.

The second is with the word 'need'. There are many dangerous jobs. We need farmers to grow food and truckers to get it to the stores.

There is no 'need' to haul toys to the Florida keys. It would be 'nice' for the rest of us if you did not drive 70.

The point is 70 might be okay if there is no 'us' involved. The speed limit when towing is different in Nevada and California. One state gives more discretion when there is no 'us' involved.
Old 12-27-2018, 08:48 PM   #36

First off I took 2 years putting this combination together with testing it wasn’t hillbilly moment.

I hired a truck and trailer company that I had a relationship for 30 plus years to handle the set up.

The top of the line blue ox we purchased was rated at 10,000 lbs and we use a draw tight on the Rv reciver to prevent the jeep from moving during tow

The Jeep I purchased had correct rear end and the trailer hitch was rated for 4000 lbs Jeep weighted about the same combined weight 8000 lbs way under the blue ox total capacity

also made sue we had a tandem trailer for the boat (new)

All the wiring for lights run under Jeep to boat from Rv so when you cut the power on the Jeep all the tail lites functioned off the Rv.

I made several test runs up and down the freeway before taking a short trip

Absolutely no fish tailing in the boat

We purchased permits in the states we traveled thru

Last time I checked it was a free country

3 mile island
gnorthga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2018, 09:36 PM   #37

As a volunteer fireman in Florida I asked a FHP (friend) the same question. I knew it was illegal but see it all the time being done. He told me it was up to the deputy or FHP unit. In his opinion if they're not causing any problems and going under the speed limit he's got a lot bigger fish to fry. But if you get into an accident you may have serious issues.
Old 12-27-2018, 10:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprkbr View Post
As a volunteer fireman in Florida I asked a FHP (friend) the same question. I knew it was illegal but see it all the time being done. He told me it was up to the deputy or FHP unit. In his opinion if they're not causing any problems and going under the speed limit he's got a lot bigger fish to fry. But if you get into an accident you may have serious issues.
You make a valid point I never thought of that

Thank you for the good advice

That makes a lot of sense
Old 12-27-2018, 11:05 PM   #39

I seen a jeep driving the wrong way down the interstate a few years back, so it has to be legal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RV-pushing-motorcycle.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	230278   Click image for larger version

Name:	GVWR-LEAD.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	230279  

Old 12-28-2018, 12:45 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnorthga View Post
I made several test runs up and down the freeway before taking a short trip

Absolutely no fish tailing in the boat

We purchased permits in the states we traveled thru

Last time I checked it was a free country

3 mile island
We live in a free country because millions of Americans served the world in the military. My small part was serving ten years the nuclear navy.

This in no way entitles me drive a MH too fast.

If you had said that you made test runs at 70 on an empty freeway but otherwise kept it at 60 because you were towing, then I would not be commenting.

There were two fatalities in Washington State when a MH towing a large toy hauler blew a steer tire. The 6 year old girl that died was not wearing a seat belt.

With respect to TMI, even though no one was hurt, there was a huge lessons learned process. In the case of towing toys with a MH, there have been several fatal accidents recently. There is no formal lessons learned program in the industry.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:46 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by followingsea View Post
We live in a free country because millions of Americans served the world in the military. My small part was serving ten years the nuclear navy.

This in no way entitles me drive a MH too fast.

If you had said that you made test runs at 70 on an empty freeway but otherwise kept it at 60 because you were towing, then I would not be commenting.

There were two fatalities in Washington State when a MH towing a large toy hauler blew a steer tire. The 6 year old girl that died was not wearing a seat belt.

With respect to TMI, even though no one was hurt, there was a huge lessons learned process. In the case of towing toys with a MH, there have been several fatal accidents recently. There is no formal lessons learned program in the industry.
Thank you for your service my wife severed in desert storm in a cash unit.

I think I get the point but all I have been trying to say is I didn’t just throw this together. We did our homework, studied it and did it by the rules.
Including getting permits and even SunPass permitted it on the florida turnpike.

Did I speed some
Tell me someone who says they never speed some I tell you that is rare.

I never said we drove the entire trip 70 plus only while testing.

Also we did the testing before lunch during the day while freeways are almost emptied around our home town.

I am sure as in anyone’s line of work or pleasure things are not always perfect.

I do appreciate everyone’s input I have learned a lot from this thread.
I most likely will catch a ride with someone in the keys on a boat to see the boat races next year.

I have agreed with you guys.

To bad the Democrats can’t work with Republicans lol.
Old 12-28-2018, 09:06 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
Nope! Not legal in Florida!

F.S. 316-515(3) ...combination of vehicles not qualifying as commercial motor vehicles may consist of no more than two units coupled together; ...

...is allowed in the following states:

Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
California
Colorado
Idaho
Illinois
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Louisiana
Maryland
Michigan
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
Nevada
New Mexico
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Not legal in Alaska. Not with a motorhome and jeep and trailer. We have very strict rules concerning pulling doubles and it can't be done with a motorhome. Airbrakes are required on the tow rig and all trailers. First trailer must be a 5th wheel. Airbrakes on all trailers with the ability to be independently activated from the cab. Can't exceed 65' without commercial endorsement. Can't exceed GCWR of the tow vehicle or any trailer. Weight slip "per axle" is recommended and may be asked for by an LEO. All vehicles and trailers must be insured.

I tried it once back in 2010. I had everything except the air brakes. I got pulled over and was required to call someone to pull my single axle trailer to my destination.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote