Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
Keeping the Entegra accent lights on all night

OK, I may be opening a can of worms but I'd like your opinion. (I'm posting this thread here to keep the reply's in the Entegra owner forum)

I'm kinda new to the Entegra world and am very pleased to be part of the Entegra family. Our new bus has been a real pleasure to own, especially when compared to what we have traveled in for the past 30 years. On our short local trips, I've noticed that some of the other Entegra owners leave their accent lights on all night. (the eyebrows on the front end with the "Entegra" badge lit up) It looks pretty cool and really gets attention. At most of the local campgrounds almost all of the other campers have their awnings or under carrages lit up so leaving the front accent lights on kinda fits right in with the majority in the campground.

HOWEVER......

We recently complete our first "real" trip traveling about 4000 miles. We travel from our home port to the west and had a epic trip to the Grand Canyon, Utah and ultimately a few days in Vegas, then back home and back to the grind....(still working for a livin)

WHILE IN THE GRAND CANYON CAMPGROUND, it was obvious that ALL of the other campers in the campground purposely kept their outside lights off so all present could enjoy the beautiful night sky and stars in darkness. The stars were so vivid. It was really enjoyable sitting outside in the darkness and looking at the night sky. HOWEVER, there was one camper who kept his "ENTEGRA" badge lit up ALL NIGHT. EVERY NIGHT, and in the totally dark campground, he stuck out like a sore thumb. This guy got LOTS of attention but unfortunately not good attention. Several of our neighbors commented that they wished he would turn them off. (I'm not the "night light police" and didn't feel the need to confront the offender)

I took a couple of low resolution photos to help make my point. This guy MAY even be a member of this forum and my intent isn't to single him out. My hope is to compel some thought as to the consideration of your surroundings before lighting up the night sky..... (first photo taken at dusk and second taken at night. The lights to the right of his rig are car lights from someone returning back to camp)

So, questions is, is this common? Do you leave your ENTEGRA bus badge lit up all night regardless of where u camp or do you take your surroundings in account and turn off your outside light when appropriate?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ENT night 1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	266002   Click image for larger version

Name:	ENT night 2.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	266003  

Divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2019, 09:41 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Nope, that's just being an inconsiderate jerk.
2014 Jeep GC diesel - 2024 Renegade Verona 36VSB
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #3

Almost never. IMO if Entegra wants people to light those up, they need to make them dimmable or dim them dramatically from the factory. They are just too bright to be "ok" in any campground scenario.

I have added undercarriage lighting to keep rodents away (yup, I had a problem). I find that if I keep them red in color, they don't light up too much and annoy fellow campers.

Everyone sleeps differently, and that much light bothers a lot of people, even in a city environment.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:30 AM   #4

I almost never turn those on. Maybe when I feel like showing off, which is rare, and alcohol could be involved.

I prefer a dark night and have been known to gripe about those who light their campsites like the Christmas break store.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:51 AM   #5

Here we go again. 200 posts about campground lights.
Old 11-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymyst View Post
Nope, that's just being an inconsiderate jerk.

Ouch !!
Old 11-06-2019, 01:58 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
We use ours until bedtime when we're at a rally...rarely otherwise. Never in a dark sky place. In fact, I would have been asking a ranger to have that chat.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:19 PM   #8

Wouldn’t bother me personally at all.. when we are in our coach at night we have our black out blinds down anyway which shuts the world out nicely ...

And if we were out enjoying a beverage under the stars I still probably wouldn’t mind.. I think it’s a really cool and fun concept

The classics don’t have this feature which is me...

Most of us classic owners have awning lights and or added ground affect lights.. which is cool tooo... lighting is great and sets moods....
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:20 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
I use them when I want to be seen, like in rain or fog. Also when if fast heavy traffic. I know a 43' coach with a toad can be had to see as some people enter a highway.

Also when we have a big gathering I light the whole thing up (alcohol might be involved here)
Cousin Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 08:59 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
We leave the accent lights on all the time but then again I’ve never been in a site that had no lights on. We don’t boondocks. If we were in a “dark sky” kinda place I’d hope we’d be smart enough to turn them off!
The Taj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:08 AM   #11

Well, this is just my set of values and perspective, but it appears that LED lights have just been discovered by all the 5th wheel and coach manufacturers at the same time. Any unit less than a couple of years old seems to be bedecked with strings of LED lights. Some seem to want to look like a carnival with lights turning colors and flashing on and off in a mindless display of obnoxiousness. Really.... does anyone need to pollute the night with Christmas-like displays? What does that accomplish?

So, the answer to your question is that I consider these light displays unnecessary. Just because the manufacturers seem enamored with putting these little flourishes on their products doesn't mean that they need to be used. So, I generally do not use them. I have used them in a couple of circumstances.... I just completed a 6,000 mile circuit of New England locations. Some of the RV parks looked like a Christmas display all night. If the place is polluted with such stuff, then I have turned mine on also. The other circumstance is that at Entegra rallies, often the wagonmaster will ask everyone to illuminate their "C" lights (I think that is the official name) as someone is going to do a video or drone fly over and it is interesting to see a night shot of a big RV park with 100+ Entegra coaches in the group, all lined up with their "C" lights on. When asked or suggested, I have done that. But, if I found myself in a park where no one is doing it, I certainly would not light up my coach like a Nevada brothel. Again, just my bias.... As someone else said, we try never to leave them on over night.... when we go to bed or at a reasonable hour, the coach is dark outside except for the light over the entrance door. We lived without LED lights twinkling and flashing for the past 100 years of RVing and we don't need them now. I find them generally discourteous to others, but they are becoming pretty common.

And John, I was completely laughed out of the room at one rally when I was brand new to motorcoaching when I brought up in front of everyone that I was wondering how effective it was to have lights on under the coach, or (what a lot of people were doing at the time) laying a string of rope lights around their coach on the ground, and my questions produced almost universal laughter from everyone else in attendance, as in "Good heavens Gary, how could you be so uninformed.... no that doesn't keep any creatures away from your coach". I was so embarrassed at my naive questions that I shelved my intention to buy some. Where did you find data that lights actually work for keeping away critter? You may be right.... but just wondering.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #12

Oh, and Winniman, I happen to think that this sort of discussion is illuminating, and not a waste of time. Sometimes, we do things that are truly annoying to others without ever thinking that it might be annoying (I can think of more than a couple things that go on in RV parks that qualify for the adjective "annoying" like a hundred campfires that generate more smoke in one night than I have consumed since I gave up that filthy habit 50 years ago....). A discussion of common courtesy among the "clan" is a positive thing, IMO.

Gary
Old 11-07-2019, 09:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Where did you find data that lights actually work for keeping away critter? You may be right.... but just wondering.

Gary
None, Gary. Just went with the anecdotal knowledge of desert rats I'm friends with down in the Mojave. It makes sense to me. If a mouse is wandering around at night and you shine a light on it, it runs away. I think it's an instinctive way to keep predators from getting you...if they can't see you, they can't catch you and eat you.

BTW, they do the same thin during the day if a shadow passes over them, I've watched them.

John
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:51 AM   #14

Well, I've never had under carriage lights and in ~ 7 years of motorcoaching, I have had only one unfortunate encounter with a small 4 legged tailed creature, which prompted one of the most bizarre and sad captures with a critter I have experienced in my life..... and I won't go into the sad details of what happened when such an unfortunate beast had a non-fatal encounter with a mouse-trap.... makes me cringe even today. He didn't need to be in my coach, but he didn't need to suffer like he did, either.

Thanks for the answer/information.

Gary

Tags
entegra, light, lights