Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2022, 01:55 PM   #1

Kind of Urgent - Spartan 3216fmi9 warning message

I'm getting this error message all of the sudden on my 2015 Entegra Anthem. Spartan 3216fmi9 warning message. Added more DEF but it didn't change anything. I'm on the road and worried about being stranded in the middle of nowhere. No mechanics or gas stations around. Any advice appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2022, 02:14 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The Spartan Connected Care App shows:

SPN: 3216
FMI: 9

Description: Engine Exhaust 1
NOx1 - Abnormal Frequency Or Pulse Width Or Period

I'm not an expert, by far. However, there's an NOx sensor down stream from where the DEF is injected into the exhaust stream that senses Nitrogen oxides.
The NOx sensor is part of the NOx reduction aftertreatment system used in diesel vehicles with urea based SCR systems. The sensor located upstream of the SCR catalyst directly measures the engine-out NOx gas concentration, which helps determine the optimum amount of urea injection.

I'd guess either there's a fault with the sensor (Google seems to suggest that there's some history of sensor failures) or there's a problem with your exhaust treatment that's resulting in abnormal Nitrogen oxides in your exhaust stream.

My first guess would be sensor problem.

I'd be on the phone with Spartan or Cummins to talk to an expert.

Good luck.

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-16-2022, 04:21 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
There was a recall on some of the earlier NOX sensors, but I am not sure which year. Worth checking if that is the problem, it would be covered.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 04:25 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Chuck, any guess about derate for this? My first concern would be that since it's emissions related, it could be a similar profile as the DEF head failure. Probably not good to just ignore it and hope it'll go away.

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-16-2022, 04:59 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Hi Stu, yes this code will lead to a 5MPH derate. The sensor is located in the exhaust pipe near the turbocharger turbine output. It is just like the DEF sensor in that it is a J1939 CANBUS device with 4 wires, +12V, GND, CAN+ and CAN-. The power for it is on the same power bus as a bunch of other devices so it the fuse was blown or the power relay gone bad he would be getting a bunch of other codes too so it is likely that just the NOx sensor itself has died.
Archer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:40 PM   #6

Ok thank y'all for chiming in, my def boxes on dash went down also. one box this morning when starting alarm sounds on startup. So I added def near full it still only shows one box also the one box shows red at start up but now only shows one box only. All time after starting it's no doubt related to this morning s incident was fine after 450 mile drive day. Today's start was all the 2 issues. All was fine last night when setting up for the night.
Old 05-16-2022, 07:00 PM   #7

Just to add to thread I was able to drive 150 miles sweating bullets whole way. Through the desert wowsers so now to get this looked at.Howrver was just giving all info on derate as luckily I did not get derated
Old 05-16-2022, 07:50 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppedclams View Post
luckily I did not get derated
Yet!

If Archer2 suggests that it will cause the derate, I'd expect that it will. Before too long.

Might be good to be on the phone to locate an appropriate repair facility nearby and make that your next stop.

Good luck.

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-16-2022, 08:26 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the vote of confidence but now I want to hedge a bit. It appears that there may be more symptoms than just the NOx sensor code. Now it seems that there are DEF level issues.
I also based what I said on the info for my 2019 L9 engiine and I failed to notice the OP has a pre-2016 coach so the wiring might not be the same although Cummins says the 3216 code is valid for my engine as well.
Archer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 04:42 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Adding DEF, sorry to say does not help any of the emission problems. One thing that has sometimes helped on the Classic DEF heads is to unplug the DEF head to reboot it. Other than that, nothing else that can be done without having the codes read. If you are getting codes that are emissions related, personally I wouldn't push it. Any diesel shop can read codes, just can't make Cummins code correction, but they can make repairs. Most emission repairs the codes are self clearing once the repairs are made.
If it is one of the NOx sensors that was under the recall, then it would have to be a Cummins shop to have it covered.

What codes are you showing now?
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 06:30 AM   #11

On my ‘14, I had a “high drift” on/in the NOX sensor.
I rolled the dice and made it to a Cummins dealer.
Derate is going to happen.
You didn’t say, but if near Flagstaff, call Velocity.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 08:48 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppedclams View Post
Ok thank y'all for chiming in, my def boxes on dash went down also. one box this morning when starting alarm sounds on startup. So I added def near full it still only shows one box also the one box shows red at start up but now only shows one box only. All time after starting it's no doubt related to this morning s incident was fine after 450 mile drive day. Today's start was all the 2 issues. All was fine last night when setting up for the night.
If the inaccurate quantity happens again before you can get it looked at try turning off the chassis battery disconnect and then unplug the def plug on top of the def tank for a minute. Should reset the level and hopefully it will behave properly. Turn chassis battery disconnect back on.

Sounds like you may need a new def head. Mine was acting the same way on the trip home from AZ. At one point had to pull over about 4 times before it would stop its rapid decrease in quantity (decreasing 1 gal. per minute). Have a new head now to install this summer.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:23 PM   #13

5743 fm9 5848 fm 9 5848 fm 9 729 f m 5 1569 fmi 31 1081fm 19 3226 fm 9 3216 fm9.. I'm to think all these were check ins as there was only one on before the 150 mile drive. 1761 fmi 3 5743 fm9 729 fm3 5848 fm 9 1569 fmi 31
Old 05-17-2022, 10:42 PM   #14

757 will try in am. Thank you all

Tags
spartan, warning