Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2021, 04:15 PM   #1

Kitchen Sink draining slowly

2018 Entegra Aspire - 44W.

In the kitchen we have a double sink and a dishwasher. That "line" drains slowly (and it's been getting worse). It's rather confusing because it doesn't seem to be consistent. The "blockage" is well past the sink area. This can be proven by partially filling one sink (or even running the dishwasher). When unplugged the other sink fills up until the two are even. I have a cap to replace the little pressure-release/vent thing on the back (it fits on top of a vertical pipe , under the sink. It's a one way valve. I block that and clamp the dishwasher. Then I plug the "other" sink. Now I can use a plunger and impact the whole drainage line. I did this a couple of hours ago and everything was draining fine. Now, after having done nothing (didn't move slides, haven't run the dishwasher or cleaned dishes) now it's running slowly again.

Any suggestions?

I took off the trap (there's one) and it's fine. The problem must be in the grey flexible drain pipe. I've looked at any place I can see it and it's not pinched or kinked. It would seem unwise to snake it, although there is a cleanout under the sink I'm not sure Drano or other harsh chemical would work either since it needs to sit in the clog (like in a trap). Honestly I've never used it. I've always found a plunger to be anything I need, typically with a sucking motion, or a back and forth, not trying to "push".

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2021, 05:15 PM   #2

That " little pressure/ relief thing " is the AAV vent for the sink drain line . Normally , in a home the drain line has a through the roof vent pipe.

I would remove the AAV " Air Admittance Valve " and inspect it . It's purpose is to eliminate any vacuum that can occur when water drains . It can slow or stop the flow of water down the drain.

Imagine a full plastic gallon water jug . Take the cap off and turn it upside down . The water will drain erratically as air enters the same hole that the water is trying to drain out of. Poke a hole in the top of the jug and the water drains freely. The AAV is basically the air hole that lets the water drain.
Bill Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:33 PM   #3

Your Flex Line is your Slow Drain Issue........
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:41 PM   #4

I tend to agree with Bill’s response, that it may be the AAV, especially since it is slowing again even though it hasn’t been used.

Next time it slows, try removing the AAV, leaving the pipe completely open. If it now drains freely, you know that was the problem. After the test, cover the open pipe with the valve to prevent odors, and replace with a new one if the test showed it was faulty.

Flex line is next suspect, especially if there is a considerable section with no slope, laying on the floor.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:40 AM   #5

Thank you for the info on the AAV (and it's name). I knew it's basic purpose. Sadly, that is not the issue (since it would be an easy fix). When it's clogged and there there is a bit of clean water standing in the sink... if I remove the AAV water comes out of that pipe.

That suggests the flex pipe. It certainly goes uphill at times. For example, under the right side drawers (which are on a slide) there is a large hole passing into the mid-ship path (which is not on a slide). Gravity should force water through but it's a place where things could settle. I use drain filters so no debris should get in... but.

Suggestions?

A kink seems unlikely since between it working and not working no motion or coach configuration changes were made. It acts more like an air dam, which is odd since the 3' of height of the sink should push past that. I suppose there could be debris in the low/bottom sections that manages to create a dam when flow is slow.

Thanks for any suggestions. Right now I'm going to replace the AAV with a cap and clamp the dishwasher so that I can plunge it again. It gets it flowing for awhile. I'll replace the AAV when done. Fortunately, there's not currently any standing water.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:16 AM   #6

I know you mentioned it may be unwise to use a snake, but I doubt it would be an issue if you used a small diameter, 1/4" hand-crank snake that you can get at a hardware store. The flex line is probably schedule 40 flexible PVC. If so, it's quite durable and a small snake would do no harm. If it is a thinner pipe, more like a pool vacuum hose, then you could have an issue.

Two questions, is this problem new or has it been there since you owned the coach, and are you the original owner?
Old 03-02-2021, 09:35 AM   #7

I would not use any thing metal in these plastic lines something about that seems problematic. I would use a chemical product. Plastic tolerates chemicals. I have used drain cleaner to remove hair clogs in the shower with no issues. I can see where the kitchen sink could get clogged with debris plates are not always scraped clean. The brand Draino sells a product in a gallon jug for clearing clogs designed for lengthy runs that we have. Good luck.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 09:44 AM   #8

We've owned the coach since new. We're full timers.

The problem is not new, but is growing more severe. It would get slow (as does the shower) and I use a plunger to agitate things (mostly pulling) and all is good for awhile. With the kitchen sink... it would slow down. I'd stopper both sinks and add a couple of inches of water. Then I'd unstop one side and plunge (mostly pull, some back and forth). This would always resolve the issue. Of late, I can only clear it by disabling the AAV (replacing it with a cap) and clamping the dishwasher drain hose. Using a stopper on the "other" sink the plunger is quite effective and fixes the problem. Yesterday, I did this and everything was working well. Then, this morning it was slow. It hadn't even been used in between. Logically it seems to be an air bubble, but that seems impossible, due to gravity. I guess the other logical possibility would be debris settling.

Based on input from another forum (Facebook / Entegra) I think I'll try vinegar, baking soda and hot water. It sounds benign enough. Not sure the procedure since vinegar and baking soda don't mix. :-) Certainly Drano is out.

Can coach level cause issues? Again, doesn't seem likely since the sink is 3' above the tank and gravity should be on my side.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 03-02-2021, 09:55 AM   #9

Drain Issue

Had this problem with my shower. Used a neat little tool called the "Drain Weasel".
Took off the shower drain cover and using the drain weasel took out a lot of hair from the wife washing her hair in the shower.
Don't know if this might be the problem with the kitchen sink, but could not hurt.
I subsequently used the Weasel at home and was surprised how well it worked there too.

Good luck....
Balladeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just4Fun20 View Post

The problem is not new, but is growing more severe. It would get slow (as does the shower) and I use a plunger to agitate things (mostly pulling) and all is good for awhile. With the kitchen sink... it would slow down. I'd stopper both sinks and add a couple of inches of water. Then I'd unstop one side and plunge (mostly pull, some back and forth). This would always resolve the issue. Of late, I can only clear it by disabling the AAV (replacing it with a cap) and clamping the dishwasher drain hose. Using a stopper on the "other" sink the plunger is quite effective and fixes the problem. Yesterday, I did this and everything was working well. Then, this morning it was slow. It hadn't even been used in between. Logically it seems to be an air bubble, but that seems impossible, due to gravity. I guess the other logical possibility would be debris settling.

Based on input from another forum (Facebook / Entegra) I think I'll try vinegar, baking soda and hot water. It sounds benign enough. Not sure the procedure since vinegar and baking soda don't mix. :-) Certainly Drano is out.

Can coach level cause issues? Again, doesn't seem likely since the sink is 3' above the tank and gravity should be on my side.

Note bold^^, important new information.

If the shower is involved, the the flex line is probably not the problem, unless you have two separate drain issues. If the slow draining shower is also fixed by the plunging, then the problem is more likely at the tank or where the shower line and sink drain lines may combine. Without knowing how your coach's plumbing is routed, this is just based on experience of other coaches. If you have different grey tanks for shower and sink, that changes everything.

It may even be the main vent pipe from the grey tank. Does the grey tank drain rapidly and easily when you dump? If you have the opportunity, next time the sink becomes clogged, try opening the dump valve on the grey tank.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:16 AM   #11

Quote:

A friend just used the baking soda, vinegar and hot water. Fixed their problem.
They let it set overnight then poured in the hot water.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:15 AM   #12

You didn't say what your floor plan is, but from what you describe, sounds like you've got two separate issues. After full timing since 2018, not surprising!

The fact that plunging very temporarily solves the issue indicates two thing. One, you don't have a kink in the system, as the pressure of plunging is nowhere near enough to unkink a drain line. Second then, you have floating "hairball" traps. Plunging up and down can dislodge them temporarily and allow water to flow around them, but then they settle back into place and block things again.

The shower drain is prone to getting a few strands of long hair caught in the grate, and then a whole glob of stuff grows on it deeper down. If you can see a few strands of hair caught on the grating, probably easiest to unscrew the grating and draw it out. (Have a shot of bourbon handy if you're at all squeamish about seeing that muck come out.) If you can't see hair there, then Drano or such will dissolve it, just be careful to rinse it off the metal grating if you don't remove it first. Don't use home remedies, the commercial stuff, formulated by scientists over the years, is safer and more effective.

For you kitchen sink, you could pull the trap and clean it first, could be something solid caught in it that is trapping other things. If not that, then Drano as well. Again, the chemicals in that are safe to plastic and your gray tank, and much more effective at dissolving grease and food than home remedies.

While you're at it, since you've been full timing so long, good to check your bathroom sink drains too, they can easily get a bit of hair or whiskers caught in the plunger that starts growing a blockage.

Quote:

drwaynesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 04:59 PM   #13

Kitchen sink draining slowly

I agree with Billy Gail. I had that problem; tried everything else and when I cleaned out the AAV everything flowed well.
shiftless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 07:58 PM   #14

Iíve never used one of these in my coach, but have been successful using one when we owned our house. Maybe itíll help.....

https://www.amazon.com/G-T-Water-Pro...97509355&psc=1

Iím sure youíd be able to find one at your local home center. I believe I got mine at Home Depot.
Flanz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sink