Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-13-2016, 05:25 PM   #127

Entegra Owners Club
Good info Pat. Suggest those that "think" they might try Koni's bookmark your post, save it on their phone or print it out. I sure wouldn't count on the search function working to find the information again. As you said, it's hard to find. Good job!
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 06:03 PM   #128

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Good info Pat. Suggest those that "think" they might try Koni's bookmark your post, save it on their phone or print it out. I sure wouldn't count on the search function working to find the information again. As you said, it's hard to find. Good job!
Search function! a little off topic! but so important, it's so sad as we miss so much information here that should be at our fingertips as it is in most other forums. This is one of my few but the biggest disappointment with this Entegra forum. Just had to put that in here.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:32 AM   #129

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the info guys

Spoke to Koni and yes they confirmed the crossover number.

Chuck,
Thank you for contacting us here at KONI NA. You are correct the KONI crossover number would be 8805 1018 for that Bilstein shock.

I cannot find them in British Columbia, I,ll wait till im south next month.
Still asking Koni if they have a FSD shock that would fit this application, assuming this part number is not.

Has anyone changed front tires in an effort to smooth out the ride? IE:Michelens
Old 09-17-2016, 07:50 AM   #130

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck1957 View Post

Has anyone changed front tires in an effort to smooth out the ride? IE:Michelens
There have been several post where Aspire owners have changed the steer tires to Michelins and were very pleased with the ride.

Relating back to my TS, when my Michelins aged out, the sidewalls where much stiffer than when new. I couldn't believe the difference in the ride after changing tires.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:03 PM   #131

Entegra Owners Club
Had the Koni's installed on the front of my 2015 Aspire in Utah a couple of weeks ago. Lots of back roads since then and in Santa Fa now. They have dampened the road strips but the unexpected surprise is the difference in performance over large swales where the respective recovery is almost instant.
There is also substantial difference in the weight of the shocks as well, the Koni,s being much heavier.
All in all glad I made the change.

Chuck
Old 10-18-2016, 02:51 AM   #132
gjw

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Just had the konis installed yesterday while we are here at Spartan. Haven't had a chance to test them out really but hoping for the best. They had two models of shocks to install the adjustable or the new and improved set them and forget them. I hope I didn't make a mistake and asked for that set them and forget them. I guess we'll see when we get out on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
2020 Chevy Equinox Premier 2.0T 2LZ FWD
gjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 04:52 AM   #133

Entegra Owners Club
Greg, thanks for letting us know the Spartan is offering the new model Konis. At least we know they are Spartan approved now.

Chuck, glad that you were able to get a set of Konis for the Aspire. Did you have much of a problem finding that part number? I know it's the best $500. I have spent. I don't wish my pre-Koni ride and handling days on anyone.
Old 10-18-2016, 06:34 AM   #134

Entegra Owners Club
Greg, I will be a Spartan Thursday/Friday - let us know how those work for you. Chuck1957, glad to hear - I will most likely add to my work order.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 11:38 AM   #135

So this "new style Konis" is what? I have the old ones put on a couple months ago, was wondering if there is a performance difference in the new ones or what the deal is on this.. anyone know?
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 09:01 PM   #136

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
So this "new style Konis" is what? I have the old ones put on a couple months ago, was wondering if there is a performance difference in the new ones or what the deal is on this.. anyone know?
The discussion of the new 99 series shocks started on page 2 of this post and continued all through it. I few months ago Spartan was not carrying that shock, now they area.
Old 10-19-2016, 10:22 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alangrissom View Post
We have a '13 Journey 42e and curious if anyone has input if the Koni shocks show improvement over the stock Sachs product.
Chassis is a Freightliner XCL @ 18,000 miles but rides at times like a 40 year old town car.
A recent drive on I84 Pendleton to Portland Oregon on very windy day was a handful.
Alan, I know this reply is several months late, but if you're still reading..

I replaced our factory Sachs shocks on a 2012 Tiffin with F/L XCA. The stock Sachs were completely spent. Moving the piston in and out was easy by hand. I chose Bilsteins for that application, and those shocks made a world of difference.

I did change all shocks which is generally regarded as a prudent choice. Thing is, were I to do it again I'd probably only do the fronts. The front of any MH carries a serious burden that will reveal any handling ills quickly.

I've heard good things about the Konis, and don't doubt they would be incrementally better than the Bilsteins.

Regarding the castle nut issue: I will put this as polite as I can possibly manage.. if you are a shop or tech worth .10¢, you "inspect" all fasteners, every time. Why? Because strange things happen. If your tech doesn't crawl underneath with a large pair of channel lock pliers, he cannot properly check fasteners or connections, and shouldn't be paid for a job left undone.

I shake my head.

Regarding the "drag link", the purpose of this component is to quite literally keep both wheels pointed in the same direction, and have them pointed in the same direction as the steering input. When inspecting this component, it is OK if you can twist it as one member alluded to. What isn't OK is any up/down in/out motion of the drag link and any connection to any other component. Stuff needs to move, just not in a way that indicates play between 2 components.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 01:36 PM   #138

Entegra Owners Club
Was not a problem finding the part number for the Koni,s however I had to order them on line and have them delivered to Spokane where I picked them up on the way down to Texas.
Not readily available in Canada.

Thanks for the help and information all.
Chuck
Old 10-20-2016, 02:48 PM   #139

Entegra Owners Club
I am at Spartan now, and they don't stock the Koni for the Aspire like mine, 2013 Classic with I Beam axel, 14600 lb. I talked to my technician, and he did not recommend putting them on the I-beam, For me, its a $500 "crap shoot" as to whether they make a difference. (I do like Craps)
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:56 PM   #140

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwoodofd View Post
I am at Spartan now, and they don't stock the Koni for the Aspire like mine, 2013 Classic with I Beam axel, 14600 lb. I talked to my technician, and he did not recommend putting them on the I-beam, For me, its a $500 "crap shoot" as to whether they make a difference. (I do like Craps)
Mark, what is the PN for the Koni shock your looking for? Is it the Koni 8805- 1018? I know they used to have to order this one.

pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koni, shocks, steering