Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2016, 06:38 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Koni Shocks Setting Question

For those that have installed Koni's on the front of your Entegra, what did you find to be the best setting?

I tried the search function, but it is not working.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2016, 07:02 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
No FSD's for them?
I know they don't make them for our 20,000# front axle, wish they did! I set ours for full hard after trying them on the middle setting. Better but not perfect.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 07:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
For those that have installed Koni's on the front of your Entegra, what did you find to be the best setting?

I tried the search function, but it is not working.
That's a great question. I am thinking of getting some installed and was going to try medium.
Willrobinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:30 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
I have no idea what ours is set at - Spartan in Charlotte put them on for us. Sorry, Chuck.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 04:38 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks Lynn. I guess I will call Spartan and see what they recommend. If I find the answer, I will post back if others might need that information.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:42 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
The search function worked this morning. I had a great time reading over all the old Koni Shock posts. Now I am really anxious to crawl underneath and install them. For me that is easier and will make for a better ride for the 1,200 miles back to Spartan.

The settings others used from Spartan were soft on compression and medium on rebound. Thanks for Al's detailed report. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/whos...ml#post2837596
Old 03-15-2016, 09:45 AM   #7

Lynn and Chuck

I'd really like to hear your before and after impressions of the change to KONI shocks..... Lynn, you have done it already, and Chuck, you are going to do it. I really would like to know your impressions of the difference, if any, and benefits.

I have recently had discussions with some KONI people and what I am getting is that they dont recommend that they be installed only on the fronts of any coach, and they say the KONIs work as a combined unit and you really need to change them all around. Now, it is self-serving for any company to advocate using them in all positions because they sell more shocks, but if you are doing only on fronts, I would like to know your experience in real differences, not global evaluations. Cognitive Dissonance theory posits that if you spend a bunch of money on something, you are going to have a bias toward feeling the investment was worth the cost....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 11:59 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Lynn and Chuck

I'd really like to hear your before and after impressions of the change to KONI shocks..... Lynn, you have done it already, and Chuck, you are going to do it. I really would like to know your impressions of the difference, if any, and benefits.

I have recently had discussions with some KONI people and what I am getting is that they dont recommend that they be installed only on the fronts of any coach, and they say the KONIs work as a combined unit and you really need to change them all around. Now, it is self-serving for any company to advocate using them in all positions because they sell more shocks, but if you are doing only on fronts, I would like to know your experience in real differences, not global evaluations. Cognitive Dissonance theory posits that if you spend a bunch of money on something, you are going to have a bias toward feeling the investment was worth the cost....

Gary

Spartan told me I'd get almost the same outcome doing just the front - so that's what I did. Would never go back to the OEM shocks. Koni's probably are the best mod I've ever had done. Highly, and I mean, highly recommend.
Old 03-15-2016, 01:26 PM   #9

I also would like to hear if this makes a noticeable difference in ride?
I thought I read that Entegra installed
Billstein shocks all around from the factory. Which I thought were top quality?
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:31 PM   #10

Hey Gary. What's the koni front shock part # for the anthem?
Thanks in advance
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:09 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowejug View Post
I also would like to hear if this makes a noticeable difference in ride?
I thought I read that Entegra installed
Billstein shocks all around from the factory. Which I thought were top quality?

I like a softer ride. Lots of people like the Billsteins - I like the Konis. Gary asked for my opinion, so I gave my opinion.
Old 03-15-2016, 06:42 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
A bunch of answers.

After calling Spartan the Koni's are a single adjustable shock, not double. There are 5.5 turns.... the Koni adjustment are set to soft from the factory. Spartan said to adjust them to mid, which is 2.5 turns. http://www.konirv.com/adjustment.cfm

As for Koni's all the way around, I don't agree with that. It wasn't to many years ago that cars came with front struts and shocks in the rear. The rear end of my MH doesn't bang going over bridge expansion joints like the front end does. Spartan also only replaces the fronts for ride comfort.

As for the existing Bilstiens. My Travel Supreme with a 15,000 lb front axle rode fine with Bilstien shocks. However the 17,000 lb Entegra axle looks to have the same shocks and seems to be under shocked in my opinion. I have played with tire pressure from 115 to 125 PSI, nothing seemed to improve the ride. I heard that Entegra upgraded the front shocks on the 2017, so I figured I would too. With Lynn and the others saying how nice the improvement was with Koni's, that was good enough for me. I have not been pleased with my front end ride compared to the Travel Supreme.

The Koni shock number for my classic Anthem is 90-2890. I purchased them here for $175. each delivered. Koni 90-2890 - 2000-2016 Spartan MountainMaster IFS1460 14K to 16K Front / 2004-2016 Spartan MountainMaster IFS1660 16K Front / Tiffin Allegro Bus w/ PowerGlide Chassis w/ Reyco IFS Front

I hope to install them tomorrow and will give a road report.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:59 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
While I have SOB, I replaced the OEM Koni FSD's on the front of my coach (14,300 axle) with Koni SP3 adjustable shocks. With the FSD's, I had way too much bouncing and bottoming out. Koni recommended the SP3 and suggested I try the #4 (5 being most firm) setting to start. I did and have been very satisfied with the result. Coach rides fine and it does not bottom out. Bouncing is much less but it is not stiff.

My coach still has the OEM FSD's on the rear but at 57K miles, I don't plan to change them since the coach handles and rides great.
Old 03-16-2016, 07:42 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieMH View Post
Spartan told me I'd get almost the same outcome doing just the front - so that's what I did. Would never go back to the OEM shocks. Koni's probably are the best mod I've ever had done. Highly, and I mean, highly recommend.
The words "almost the same" would bother me, I have never heard of changing shocks on just half of any vehicle. JMO...Al
AlKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koni, shocks