Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2022, 12:35 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Aspire44B View Post
If you could provide the make and model of the motor, or paste a link to it, that would be great. Looks like I need to purchase one and keep it handy.
Sorry, I just saw this and I am out of town. If you still need it I will get the numbers for you as soon as I get home. I purchased from Amazon. The motor and gear assembly comes as one piece.

Tor
2017 Anthem 44B
737 Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2022, 12:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alank View Post
Wouldn't you know someone would come up with that question. I've often wondered why they would last on a car window and fail so much on steps.

Two things I can think of that might be contributing factors is the fact that I occasionally step down on the steps before they are fully extended. That can't be real good for them. The other thing is closing a window is a rather soft stop on the gears, as compared to the "bang" hard stop that I get every time my steps go out. Other than that, I don't have any idea.
Sounds reasonable to me. I have had to mention at times to umm, anyone, to WAIT for the steps to fully extend before stepping out.

EDIT: Just seeing 737 driver's post, but wouldn't Lippert have that motor assembly replacement? Probably more expensive though.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2022, 02:08 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
When it was necessary for me to replace the motor on the Kwikee steps a couple of years ago, as I looked for sources of the motor, I noticed that the motors varied significantly in price. However, the photos of the motors all showed the same motor with a logo from AM Equipment, a company in Portland, OR that has an online order capability. At that time (a couple of years ago), I found that source to be the best price, significantly cheaper than direct from Lippert.

Here's a link to the motor that matched my steps: https://www.amequipment.com/shop/230...67-mhpm3-y2lm9

Please, be sure that it's the right one for your steps. Don't blame me if that one's not the right one for your application.

I remain convinced that the most damaging things that we can do to those steps, which both contribute to motor/gear failure, are:
1> failure to regularly lubricate the hinge points
2> step on them when they are in transit

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-02-2022, 03:12 PM   #18

One last item I forgot to mention when commenting on why the drive system fails so much on the steps is that when the steps go out to their stop position, the gears, including the plastic one, is what holds the steps in their extended position. You read above about the steps falling to a center position and just hanging there when the motor is pulled out, mine did the same thing when I removed the motor. The motor and gears hold the steps in their extended position, then you and I, and all the other 200 to 300 pound people jump on that first step to come inside, I suspect that puts a lot more stress on the gears than we realize, and is in part, what damages the plastic teeth. Car windows won't experience that stress.

The one time mine jammed was when I took the coach out of our winter storage to get ready to go to AZ. I went to get fuel and was getting the finger, about something, pulled over when I could, and the steps were extended. This was after going in and out on the steps during the winter season while we are at our home.

The drive motor assembly is available from Lippert, but you'll like the price much better finding one from Amazon suppliers.
Old 05-02-2022, 04:04 PM   #19

Copy that!!

Thank you for the link 777Driver. I might need it one day, argh.
As a side note. When replacing my pilot seats, I had to get different swivel bases. I found the manufacturer of the bases and was considerably lower priced than from the seat folks. $50 compared to $150.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2022, 12:03 PM   #20

Here are the pictures of my motor, thanks to AIM for not properly placing the O ring. When I saw this, I thought I found the problem, but the rust was just local to those two parts. The plastic gear is just under the one rusted part. If you’re very careful, you can remove the motor and armature for inspection. If you’re not real careful, the motor case will come off the armature, then the armature shaft will still be in the gear case. Reassembly will now be a bit more difficult, due to the brushes, but doable. With everything apart, you can view the damage to the plastic gear teeth. After cleaning and installation, it’s working fine.
The grease needle is for putting grease in the little hole to directly grease the spiral gear and plastic teeth. Then the hole is covered with the little tab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1C0DC728-BE7A-49D9-9ADB-3F2B93D11BF3.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	364420   Click image for larger version

Name:	FE53F9EE-5678-42C7-A870-BD6102A02D18.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	364421  

alank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:26 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
alternate products

I would have done two different things. First is removing all of the connectors and applying a liberal amount of CRC contact cleaner. You did that in effect by removing your motor but CRC lasts longer and does a better job. Second I would have used Boeshield T-9 waterproof. It was developed by Boeing and does a very good job. I use it as my go to lubricant for all pivoting or sliding. Out of more than 3,500 Amazon reviews it rates 4.8.

Tags
kwikee, led