RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-07-2020, 09:02 AM   #15

The most fundamental issue for those who need to get on the roof, is does the ladder reach above the roof and the Girard awnings....??? if it doesn't, to me it is not a reasonable ladder for roof work, Although I am not afraid of heights and used to climb 150' radio towers to work on antennas, I don't feel comfortable with any ladder that does not extend above the roof line sufficiently to have a hand-hold as you transition from ladder to roof and back. I have seen a buddy of mine use a shorter "A" frame and essentially need to stand on top end of an a frame and then do a pull up on the rail that runs across the top of the rear cap to get up onto his roof, and then the opposite on the way down..... there is no way I would do that.... (and note that that is exactly what the post above here shows in a picture where he could not get to the roof unless he puts his ladder onto a motorcycle rack to get to the roof.????? I believe the ladder that he uses is only 14' long so barely clears the roof plus Girards on the sides. No way!!!).

I think that you need a ladder that extends at least 17' in length. With 17' in height, the ladder can be used on both the sides of the coach and on the rear of the coach if there is no motorcycle rack. The ladder I use is the ladder handled by Harbor Freight. It is a cheaper version of the Mightly Might ladder (I think that is the ladder handled by Lowes and maybe home depot). It folds into 4 sections, which then store on its side in the rearmost basement area. I weigh ~240# and feel the ladder handles my weight easily. I know that many buy the ladder that extends through telescoping, but I found that ladder less sturdy and not as long (14') extended to easily and safely get to the roof. I feel very safe on the Harbor Freight ladder. You can spend more, but you can't get a better ladder in my opinion.

And IMO, every coach owner needs a ladder that will let them get to the roof safely.... too many things that can go wrong or need to be observed on the roof to not be able to get there, or expect to pay someone else to get there more than once a year on average.

Gary
Attached Images

Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2020, 12:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
The most fundamental issue for those who need to get on the roof, is does the ladder reach above the roof and the Girard awnings....??? if it doesn't, to me it is not a reasonable ladder for roof work, Although I am not afraid of heights and used to climb 150' radio towers to work on antennas, I don't feel comfortable with any ladder that does not extend above the roof line sufficiently to have a hand-hold as you transition from ladder to roof and back. I have seen a buddy of mine use a shorter "A" frame and essentially need to stand on top end of an a frame and then do a pull up on the rail that runs across the top of the rear cap to get up onto his roof, and then the opposite on the way down..... there is no way I would do that.... (and note that that is exactly what the post above here shows in a picture where he could not get to the roof unless he puts his ladder onto a motorcycle rack to get to the roof.????? I believe the ladder that he uses is only 14' long so barely clears the roof plus Girards on the sides. No way!!!).

I think that you need a ladder that extends at least 17' in length. With 17' in height, the ladder can be used on both the sides of the coach and on the rear of the coach if there is no motorcycle rack. The ladder I use is the ladder handled by Harbor Freight. It is a cheaper version of the Mightly Might ladder (I think that is the ladder handled by Lowes and maybe home depot). It folds into 4 sections, which then store on its side in the rearmost basement area. I weigh ~240# and feel the ladder handles my weight easily. I know that many buy the ladder that extends through telescoping, but I found that ladder less sturdy and not as long (14') extended to easily and safely get to the roof. I feel very safe on the Harbor Freight ladder. You can spend more, but you can't get a better ladder in my opinion.

And IMO, every coach owner needs a ladder that will let them get to the roof safely.... too many things that can go wrong or need to be observed on the roof to not be able to get there, or expect to pay someone else to get there more than once a year on average.

Gary
I use the same type only mine is a little giant ladder. Two reasons: First like Gary said it extends above the roof and second it makes into a regular ladder for cleaning and waxing.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:49 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
I have a Werner that folds for a frame work and extends to 17’. I feel 17’ is the minimum to access the roof on our class A motorhomes. Believe I got it at Lowe’s 4-5 years ago.
Tim Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 02:22 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
I have two in the basement

GP Logistics folding 7 foot with the RDT Red Accessory Shelf for cleaning and non-roof tasks - folds to 4 by 4 - 8 foot long. Works well and is stable but it does bothers my feet because the rungs are not that wide if i'm on it for a long time.

Lowe's Cosco Telescoping Ladder- 14 ft Reach for getting on the roof. It fits to the lip for top water channel - climb up and I put one foot on the bedroom slideout to get up there. It work better than I thought, and I really do not like heights. Just used it last week to replace the cable on my Sat Dish.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:05 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
First---I think it's a crime they don't put ladders on these coaches. If ladders are so cosmetically unappealing, maybe we need a hatch inside the rig to get on the roof!

Anyway, I love my Little Giant ladder--it's the 17' model. Fits going small-end first in the slide out tray, leaning against a toolbox, at about a 45 deg angle to the side. Having a ladder that can do double duty straight/a-frame is helpful. They aren't cheap--$200 on Amazon, but they seem sturdy (a nice feature in a ladder).

I zip-tie a pair of sliced pool noodles/pipe insulation to the top part of the legs so when it leans up against the rig it's not rubbing metal-to-fiberglass.
bsaldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:57 PM   #20

Bob:

I forgot to say, but I also use a foam pool noodle slit down it’s length. No need to zip tie it on, just slightly spread the slit wide and slip it over the edge of the ladder. My foam noodles are about 18” long. Those noodles do an excellent job of protecting the paint of the coach from scratching by the ladder. I should say that I always use the ladder from the side of the coach and place the noodles over the ladder rails on the section of the ladder that is in contact with the top edge of the Girard canister (container shell). That makes a good secure object to lean the top section of the ladder against.

I don’t step on the slides at all. Of course there is the slide topper that is a problem and don’t want to put my weight against one corner of the slide. I tried getting on the roof from the rear but didn’t like having to step over the “air foil” (which contains the rear clearance lights). That step was awkward. Placing the ladder behind the rear slide works well with a 17’ ladder. Whether using the Warner 17’ Little Giant or using the Harbor Freight 17’ ladder, IMO you don’t want anything less than 17’ tall.

The critical issue with 17’ minimum height is that means ~ 3’ of the ladder extends above the Girard awning which gives you a critical hand hold while getting on or off the ladder.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #21

I been trying all angles of trying to get on the roof .. in between the two slides on the PS side but i dont like the weight on the awnings, I'll go on the DS side in between both slides but awkward step over the with the sky lights and max fan... so the rear slide seems like the best options. i also put the foam noodles for protection .. i have fallen from a roof before ( SB) so i have some flashback of broken ribs ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Bob:

I forgot to say, but I also use a foam pool noodle slit down it’s length. No need to zip tie it on, just slightly spread the slit wide and slip it over the edge of the ladder. My foam noodles are about 18” long. Those noodles do an excellent job of protecting the paint of the coach from scratching by the ladder. I should say that I always use the ladder from the side of the coach and place the noodles over the ladder rails on the section of the ladder that is in contact with the top edge of the Girard canister (container shell). That makes a good secure object to lean the top section of the ladder against.

I don’t step on the slides at all. Of course there is the slide topper that is a problem and don’t want to put my weight against one corner of the slide. I tried getting on the roof from the rear but didn’t like having to step over the “air foil” (which contains the rear clearance lights). That step was awkward. Placing the ladder behind the rear slide works well with a 17’ ladder. Whether using the Warner 17’ Little Giant or using the Harbor Freight 17’ ladder, IMO you don’t want anything less than 17’ tall.

The critical issue with 17’ minimum height is that means ~ 3’ of the ladder extends above the Girard awning which gives you a critical hand hold while getting on or off the ladder.

Gary