Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2018, 09:14 AM   #1

Latches on closet door ruining our clothes !!

This is not a big issue but one that is annoying and I am looking for information.

The DW and I are off on a 4 month adventure that takes us from the blistering heat of the deep south in August to what are anticipated to be serious cold of the NE in late November, so we had to pack enough clothes of enough weights to span those different temp ranges, and our closet in the aft bath is full.

What we have noticed is that the door latches used on our Cornerstone are of the type of a short pin screwed to the static door frame, and a "catch" on the sliding doors which "captures" the short spike when the door latches closed. Sady, if any of your clothes happen to be extending a bit out where the latch and pin are located, you will puncture your clothes or dresses or "tops" with the pin and "catch" and leave multiple holes in the sleeve or material, whatever. So far in a couple of months, I have ruined 3 or 4 shirts and the DW is furious that she has ruined 3 or 4 of her "tops". I dont think this is unique to us.

Has anyone had similar problems and have you solved the problem some way? Is there a different latching mechanism that is easy to swap with what we now have that does not ruin clothes, that people have discovered.

Another side observation is that we find that the clothes hanger wooden bar is placed out from the back wall by 2 or 3 inches more than would be necessary for our clothes to hang free. Anyone see a reason for that? By the bar being hung closer to the front of the closet than it needs to be hung (not in the middle), it greatly increases the chances that a piece of hanging clothing gets between the pin and catch?

Burning through a lot of clothes in Pennsylvania....

Gary
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cornerstone Closet Door Latch.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	223161  
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2018, 09:37 AM   #2

I see 2 possible cures. Since you haven't learned by your mistakes and continue to damage your clothing here are some tips.

The first and easiest is be more careful when you close the closet door.

The 2nd is replace the latch with magnet latches.

As far as the clothes rod, I'd just deal with it provided you utilize the first cure as listed above.
LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:24 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Gary .... you and Dee really have had your challenges this year with the new coach (some the coach and some mother nature) .... I do feel for y'all. I'm hoping all this will be a distant memory soon and no more issues pop up. Can't help you on a solution ... but do wish y'all a speedy and easy one!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:51 AM   #4

You could move the latch above the level of the clothes rod and it will still work the same
Gregory0495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:19 AM   #5

We have both of those issues.

On the latch problem, we hang pants there, and put shirts/tops more in the middle so they are clear of the offending latches.

I've discussed moving the closet rod with the DW, she doesn't think it's worth the hassle.

What about putting the "off-season" stuff in a container, either under the bed or in the basement?
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
We have both of those issues.

On the latch problem, we hang pants there, and put shirts/tops more in the middle so they are clear of the offending latches.

I've discussed moving the closet rod with the DW, she doesn't think it's worth the hassle.

What about putting the "off-season" stuff in a container, either under the bed or in the basement?

Sorry for your issue, my DW and I didn’t like a similar problem so I installed a bungee cord across the front and it has solved the problem. Gets in the way sometimes when loading but otherwise works well.
Mizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #7

I think LJowdy has given the best and most logical advice possible.
EVsCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 02:59 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Change them back to the Southco latches that you used to have, I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0D84D4A4-88F0-4FD5-8844-DD969ED8AEA8.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	223188  
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #9

Lol. Had the same problem this summer on our 2 month trip. I ruined way more shirts before I noticed what was causing it. I tried to redo the latch with magnets from home depot to no avail. They want match up the way the door is designed. Going to keep all the shirts to show Entegra why i have complained about this poor designed door. I hope someone post a good fix to this issue
lawdogg149 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:41 AM   #10

Well, some suggested solutions are more helpful than others. For the helpful ones.... thanks!

I kinda like a combination of two or three of the suggestions above. I personally have had the Southco type plastic latches all over my Anthem and my Dynasty before that and they all work very well. In fact, I have a bunch of them still from heavier duty latches that I needed to replace some under sized latches. The southco latches come in various weights.... 5# latch, 10#, 15# latch etc. I think a switch to the Southco latch might be a good solution. Then, the suggestion to put the latch up nearer the top of the door and frame makes a lot of sense.... that is out of the way of everything. If there is no problem with it holding when it is not in the middle of the door, then that will be the go to place to put the latch.... it would also be a good place to move the current latch rather than in the middle where it causes a lot of damage.

Now, again, I intend to raise this issue with the design team.... why is the clothes bar not placed center front to back in closet area? It is not now centered and placed more toward the front. The only reason that I can see that this is the way it is is if there is a heat problem with clothes being hung that touch the back wall.... my bet is that that is not an issue at all.... but probably stems from the old need for a little space against the back wall of the closet for the folding chairs that used to sit/were hung back there (if you didn't remove them immediately and put them in your garage at home). Since current Entegra production has gone to the silly, uncomfortable, and largely worthless Ollie chairs that don't stand back there anyway, there is no need for the extra space there.... Ask the furniture shop that makes that clothes unit to move the hole and bar toward the back 3".

Suggestion to the design team.... if the folding chairs don't become the option again in 2020 (they should be), then move the clothes rack bar 2 to 4" more aft where it should be. That would center the space and the clothes would not hang too far forward and become ruined by the latch. Also, regardless, move the door latch or latches up to where they dont damage owners clothes.

Or better yet, move the latch and also move the clothes bar!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gary
Old 10-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, one thing I see with the new model that the closet is not as deep as the Classic. I noticed that when we loaded it. I have a coat I had to turn in an angle to fit the new closet hung in the same area as the old closet. I didn't need a tape measure to see the difference.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2018, 07:43 PM   #12

Chuck

You are right about all of that, but I'd bet a good deal of money that if the clothes bar was moved back 3 - 4" there would be no problem with your coat fitting in the way it is supposed to fit. Almost all of our coats have to sit at an angle to fit in the hanging area. Dee and I have noticed that a lot of dimensions are actually a little smaller in this Cornerstone than they were in our Anthem. The drawers in the half bath are shorter than they used to be, clothes bar needs to be further baack or the closet is not as deep, there seems to be less space beside the bed/mattress and the walls or Dee and I are gaining weight and size and one has a heck of a time brushing your teeth in the master bath as the sinks are so far from the front of the granite top that you have to really lean over to get over the sink. Pf course, there is the notorious toilet paper holder that seems to have had a severe case of "shrinking toilet paper holder disease (as you initially reported). Then again, if we never had the Anthem "B", we would never have had a comparison to know that some of these things are smaller.

Gary

Tags
door