Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Leaking Drive Axle Hub Seal

So I found my 2012 driver side drive axle dripping some oil out from the brake drum. Anyone had this type of leak repaired? I really don't know how complex of an ordeal I'm dealing with... There was maybe 4oz of oil beside the inner dual wheel last time I pulled out. I'm going to make some calls tomorrow and see where I stand.
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2019, 06:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmanrvr View Post
So I found my 2012 driver side drive axle dripping some oil out from the brake drum. Anyone had this type of leak repaired? I really don't know how complex of an ordeal I'm dealing with... There was maybe 4oz of oil beside the inner dual wheel last time I pulled out. I'm going to make some calls tomorrow and see where I stand.
I had one done at NORVC last summer. It's pretty straight forward. The seal is located on the outer hub. In my case the seal was fine, the hub was loose. NIRVC replaced the seal anyway.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
If it is leaking oil from the brake drum that sounds like an axle seal rather than a outer hub seal. Another problem, if it's dripping from the brake drum, hopefully the brake shoes are not oil fouled.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:30 PM   #4

We have a 18 London Aire on Spartan K3 chassis and just had to tighten the 8 bolts that attaches axle to hub to stop a small leak. Last year we found that the rear axle was over filled by over a gallon of gear oil which was causing our outside axle leaks. There are 3 locations to put gear oil in rear end and Spartan was over filling rear end.
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 09:42 PM   #5

Yes.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:20 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
FWIW Dept.;
I had an unusual leak occur in the drivers side drive axle hub this past fall. We had just returned from an 8,000 mile, 7 month summer travel schedule, where the bus had been touched by both our dealer, then a major annual service at Spartan Charlotte, and then a Cummins service center in Grand Rapids, Michigan. We had just parked the coach at the house to unload over the course of a few days.
I walked out the morning after parking to hook up the utilities (while we unloaded and cleaned), and noticed a small pool of oil in the bottom of the outer drive wheel rim.
To make a long story short, I pulled the hub cover, and found the hub seal gasket shredded and dangling out from under the hub end cap (see pic). With Spartan factory assistance, we were able to locate a mobile heavy truck repair co. that came and pulled the drive axle in my driveway (wow!!) and replaced the defectice seal.
Now for the interesting part.....
When we removed the hold down studs from the outer axle hub, 5 of the 8 studs were "finger tight"!!!! The hub had loosened enough to work the hub end cap enough to heat the cap due to friction, scorching the inner diameter of the gasket!! Holy cow!
How we ever made it through our lenghty trip without the seal turning completely loose, I'll never understand...
We replaced the gasket with a higher quality seal, re-torqued to 165 ft.-lbs. (!!), checked fluid levels in the differential, and ensured the lube was not burned or scorched. Then we checked the end cap torque on the passenger side, all was torqued to spec.
Spartan's explanation was that these axle assemblies come to them fully assembled and full of fluid, and they never check them for such things as proper torque on the axle hub end cap. Apparently the assembly is fabricated on an assembly line, where the guy torqueing up the axle hubs on the driver side must have gotten it wrong for what ever reason, and mind got out the door with improper torque on 5 of the 8 studs....WTH!
The fluid loss was minimal and the situation could have been worse, but really??? On a $$500k motorcaoch??
Again, FWIW dept., just my rant!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	axlegasket.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	243981  
2014 Jeep GC diesel - 2024 Renegade Verona 36VSB
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 07:46 AM   #7

They may say that the axles are factory installed but I doubt it came with the wheel cover bracket shown in the picture.

Installing that could have left at least 2 of the 8 studs under torqued.

Missing 25% of the clamping force could lead to some movement. Movement will wear out the gasket, causing less clamping and more movement.

Keep an eye on that axle and hub for leaks. Having loose studs can oval out the threaded holes in the hub.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 12:53 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Checked into Lee Smith in Chattanooga...now we wait. They won't give me a time they can even look at the coach.
Old 04-29-2019, 03:32 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Checked into Lee Smith in Chattanooga...now we wait. They won't give me a time they can even look at the coach.
Let us know the verdict and possible cause. It will sure be helpful to others
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 03:56 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
They said 7:30 am in the morning so that's good. I'll update as I learn more
Old 04-29-2019, 08:11 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
That is usually a fairly minor repair. It is fairly common issue on semi trucks and trailers. Any truck repair shop will be able to handle it. I changed hundreds of them in my early days. It is rare for a seal to fail, usually there is an underlying cause. It is usually bearing related. Sometimes it is a pre-cursor to bearing failure or just simply the bearings get worn enough to cause some slop in the axle. It could just be that they were not tightened correctly and with a little wear you get some play and then it eventually makes the seal leak. They normally just pull the axle out and then pull the hub with the wheel/tires still attached to the hub to get to the bearing. Since you are paying for labor to pull the hub anyway, I would suggest to go back with new bearings/races even if they look good. No need to take any chances and you are already paying the labor to pull the hub and bearings anyway, the only extra labor is removing the old race, which should only take a few minutes more. Bearings are not that expensive. The first question I would ask the repair shop is if they need to pull the wheels off. If your repair shop says they are going to have to pull the wheels off, they are not equipped nor very experienced in this kind of common repair. JMHO
Old 04-30-2019, 05:22 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Glad to see you took the coach to a heavy truck repair facility. They will have the knowledge and equipment to make the proper repair.

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 12:30 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
They made short work of it this morning. He said he hates the seals that come stock on the unit and put a different brand. Said his biggest problem was cleanup which the pics verify! New brake shoes, seals, and three hrs labor. That was way faster than I expected. We stayed on the lot last night and I pulled out at 1:00 today.

Note the minimal brake wear with 75K on the clock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190430_0856261_zpsml0v45uk.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	238.0 KB
ID:	244193   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190430_0856331_zpse98ajei8.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	224.1 KB
ID:	244194  

Tags