Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2021, 04:33 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorhead-54 View Post
So I think that if you take the time when laying out your drain to create the equivalent of a “p trap” in the drain line, you’d be ok leaving the valve open. The water in the p trap would prevent the smell and gnats from the sewer from getting back to the coach. Personally I don’t mind venturing out to the wet bay every couple of days to do the dump deed and at the same time check on things in general inside the wet bay. Silly freshwater connections always seem to drip and need an extra tweak.
There's almost a natural P trap formed in the macerator hose when you set it up right. That said Sewer gnats are not something I want to confront.
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2021, 05:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy110 View Post
There's almost a natural P trap formed in the macerator hose when you set it up right. That said Sewer gnats are not something I want to confront.
All it takes is a one time experience of sitting on the pot and having gnats swarm your or your spouse’s backside. 😳
Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 06:24 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Roy View Post
I can answer this with 2 words, "Sewer Flies". Once I had to deal with them I learned quickly to keep the valves closed.
Same here. Unless you create a loop in your sewer hose that will trap water (Like a plumbing trap) and block the critters from visiting your coach.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 08:40 AM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
2020 Anthem. It’s a hassle to go drain Gray water every two days. On my old coach we just left gray water valve open. Can’t we do that with the system on these coaches?
We have a 2021 CS B with a macerator.

We were planning on leaving early the next morning so we emptied our black and then grey tanks. We wanted to do a load of laundry so we left the grey tank button on with the macerator off so we could have the grey water drain until the wash was finished. After when we went out to turn off the grey tank button and it was quite warm to the touch.

Perhaps this wasn't a great idea?
SillyAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 09:06 AM   #19

My gray and blank tank spade valves are operated by an electric solenoid that lifts the handle up too open the valve (to dump) and magnetically pulls the handle down to close the valve (to stop dumping). To keep the spade valve continuously open for days or months then must keep electricity applied to that solenoid for the entire time (that is my understanding). So, the solenoid and the switch might likely get warm.

The bypass valve (a separate valve that you operate manually) is a passive device that has to be operated manually and can stay in whatever position you put it in for long periods of time. That is why I have said several times that the proper way to avoid going outside is either run a second switch inside or use the bypass valve and use a stinky slinky sewer pipe to dump.... not the macerator.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:02 AM   #20

Valve

For me it is much easer to leave gray valve open and not have to worry about needing to dump before taking a shower or doing a load of wash. When needing to dump black tank just shut the gray valve until some gray water builds up, to flush out black sewage. I don’t believe I have a San I con system as I did in my Beavers. I called Entergra and they told me no problem in doing what I have done in past. I left gray valve open yesterday and only problem was inside Vega didn’t show empty gray but outside did. Couldn’t be any easer, for me ar least.

Safe travels all
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:42 AM   #21

If you don't have a Sanicon on your coach, then this discussion was unnecessary. You are apparently using a stinky slinky which is what many of us have been suggesting you do anyhow.

The point/issue was about leaving a Sanicon system valve open all the time.

Oh well..............

Gary
Old 08-21-2021, 07:53 AM   #22

Valve

I do have the San I com system and that is what I am using! I left the valve open and it works just as it did on my other coaches. When I get ready to dump the black tank I will shut the gray valve to build up a little pressure to flush the black hose out.

Safe travels all
FLYING BUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 08:46 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Coastal Campers
Have a SaniCon. Leave the gray tank open when at FHU site, and connect the small hose. Use the black tank flush when that tank needs emptied. Don’t have to worry about shower or washing machine backing up into the shower like it would if the gray tank valve was closed. Before leaving - run 20-30 gallons into the gray tank with a little simple green. Next time draining it, looks pretty clean thru the clear elbow.
That’s how we do it.

Did remove the SaniCon once to replace the impeller and clean the shaft. If someone is getting $1,200 in labor alone for doing that, I’m in the wrong business. 2 hours tops including removing (unscrewing) the wall.
Old 08-21-2021, 11:03 AM   #24

The great thing about RVing, is that we all are free to solve our problems and situations any way we want, and then accept the consequences for our decisions .....

May I never read any requests for help with a stuck gray water valve or bugs "up the butt" (toilet) ever again.... --

Gary

Tags
valve, water