Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2013, 10:41 AM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
If you want to determine if the warning came from the Low Clearance database, you can do the following:
Set the Nearest City to the location in question.
Select Custom POI > Low Clearance.
Select a location from the list, then select the "i" icon. It will then show you the map location of the low clearance.
Thanks, Bob. Yep, the warning came from the custom POI.
2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Avail, AF1
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2013, 11:54 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr View Post
Sorry to dredge up an old thread - but this seems kinda important and I think I need to understand it.

I've just bought a Garmin RV760 (very similar to your Dezl I think) and I'm trying to understand the low clearance aspect. When you took the "last minute" route mentioned in the original post, was it a route planned by your DEZL using your RV profile or were you driving off of a planned route? Are you using the add-on POI file in addition to the height restriction stuff built into the DEZL, and it was the add-on POI file that gave you the warning?

Thanks,
I just had a bit of an eye-opening experience with this unit.

OK...first I admit that I need to get the height of my MH measured so I always assumed 13-6 which I think is probably at least 6" too tall. I set my Garmin RV760 to 13-6. With that said...

On Illinois 78 north of I-74 heading towards Kewanee, IL there is railroad overpass just south of Laura, IL. It is one of those situations where they tunneled under the RR track and it is a bowl you drive down into. There where the very faded old marking of a sign you could see said 13-10 but all the signs leading to it and the newest sign on the bridge said 13-3. On the north bound part of the trip that sign is a bit too late to turn off the road and think it out. We got stuck going down into the bowl, grabbing some brakes and thinking that Sandee is going to get out and walk us through. Then a local townie came along side and said the sign was wrong and they have been trying to get it corrected for a long time. Then I saw a big truck behind me and figured it was good so we went.

My point is that it doesn't matter if it is the Garmin unit or a POI subscription...you have to recognize that sometimes the data is just NOT CORRECT. Inaccurate measurements, bridge crowning, new pavement overlays can make these measurements subject to respectable doubt when it looks tight.

The "advantage" of the GPS with bridge height info is in routing you around these low bridges. POIs will only warn you when you get close.

As an aside, on that same trip the RV760 routed me onto some country roads around a bridge that was 13-10 just NE Kewannee on RT 34 but under the bridge on the way back...GO FIGURE!
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:58 AM   #17
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd View Post
Thanks, Bob. Yep, the warning came from the custom POI.
Thanks for the explanation. If I understood right this all makes sense given that it looks like you re-routed with the Dezl set to "Auto" mode, so it didn't bother to route around a low clearance _if_ it knows about it. I guess the only way to check that is to plan a test route on the Garmin while in RV mode.

Anyway - to be on the safer side - I just bought that POI database too.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr View Post

Anyway - to be on the safer side - I just bought that POI database too.
Totally agree...I love suspenders and belts at the same time. Nothing wrong with cross checking data.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
There are many Dept of Transportation websites that you can reference for low clearances along your route. I also picked up at my local truck stop a copy of Rand McNally's "Deluxe Motor Carriers' Road Atlas" which has a low clearance section for each state. This is one of my favorite resources for a quick lookup.

I have my Garmin set to advise of upcoming low clearances, at least 5 miles in advance. This gives plenty of time to pull over and rethink things. Of course, if I've done my preplanning correctly, one shouldn't sneak up on me but no ones perfect.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:45 PM   #20

This all sounds very similar to my days flying the Beech King Air around North America and the Caribbean. Planning flight routes, checking weather, pre-flighting the airplane, and then after launching always have Plans B and C in your pocket and be prepared to execute them when Plan A goes south.
Interesting.
Whizzer60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whizzer60 View Post
This all sounds very similar to my days flying the Beech King Air around North America and the Caribbean. Planning flight routes, checking weather, pre-flighting the airplane, and then after launching always have Plans B and C in your pocket and be prepared to execute them when Plan A goes south.
Interesting.

Ah... Yah.... Those good ole flying days! Now that was fun!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:36 PM   #22

The transit agency I used to drive for is having overload problems on some of their commuter routes. Just before I retired, I was taking passenger boarding statistics for a Federal program on a late afternoon run from Everett to Mount Vernon, WA., major commuter time.

The coach was a 40' that was rated for 38 seated passengers and 16 standees. The next service was 90 minutes later. We left Everett with 72 people on that bus! Had I been the driver, I'd have been onto Dispatch to get Everett Transit to help us out. I think having standees on a coach that's doing 65 mph on the freeway is dumb, but there's no legal restriction, provided you're within the rated load.

They have been looking at the Dennis 40' double-deckers, which are used by another agency in the area. They are 14' 0". Unfortunately the primary I-5 underpass they use in Mount Vernon is only 13' 8". I think 65' articulated single-decker buses are in the future.