Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2021, 08:37 PM   #1

Leveling our Aspire in State Parks

Hi Friends!!!

You all are so wonderful to share so much here. As new Entegra owners (2022 Aspire) we learn so much from you - thank you!

We love state parks - and, they aren't always flat. I realize with our huge rig we can't expect the flexibility we see in other towables, yet it seems like we can get a little more than the leveling jacks offer.

The manual says 'never' use the jacks to lift the wheels off the ground (though they are willing LOL).

This weekend we went camping, and the site we were at wasn't all that slanted, yet it was too much. The regular campers had no trouble. Seems like the most we can really accommodate is maybe 6-8" drop across our wheelbase.

Have any of you used products like this 'Hopkins 08200 Endurance RV Leveling System' to gain even just a few inches of height on the steer axle? That one gives up to 4.5" of height, and yet the coach is soooo heavy I don't want to go too far. Then we could add flat blocks to the front jacks, similar amount perhaps, and get a little more flexibility? Or is the coach just too heavy for any of this?

What have you done to improve options on not perfectly level pads?

Christopher
2022 Aspire

you can see photos of this one here:
ChristopherG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2021, 09:34 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hi Christopher,

If you use the auto-level feature, you need to be aware that auto-level only knows "UP" as a solution to any out of level condition. By that, I mean that if it overcorrects in any adjustment, it will assess the out of level condition, and correct that by raising the low corner. It only takes a few of those iterations to result in raising the coach more than absolutely necessary to achieve level.

Many have found that manually leveling results in a lower (closer to the ground) level.

Also, the one good thing that auto-level does is to dump air out of the air bags before starting the leveling process. That's a good thing because it gets the coach closer to the ground before extending any jacks. If you choose to manually level, the first step should be to dump air from the air bags.

Personally, I've found this device: https://logicbluetech.com/levelmatepro/ to be very helpful. Once installed and set-up, it gives a very accurate depiction of what's necessary to achieve level:

Click image for larger version

Name:	LevelMatePRO_before.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	337513

Name:	LevelMatePRO_after.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	337514

But, I must admit that I am a bit of a sucker for tech gadgets.
Take care,
Stu
Old 07-28-2021, 07:39 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
While I too love tech gadgets, for me (and DW) the best indication of level is the bathroom door on our 44B.

Continuing on the low tech side, I carry a fair amount of 2" X 12" X 24" long lumber, mostly stored under the basement trays. When I have to use an unlevel site, I try to find one where the nose is low. Then I add lumber under the wheels and the jacks to allow the coach to level.

Bit of a pain but all part of the enjoyment of RVing .
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 10:49 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
To level keeping the front wheels on the ground, start "auto level" When the air dumps, retract the jack and start all over again. When the air dumps again, stop the leveling again. Notice how much lower your coach is to the ground. Now proceed with manual leveling, a short level on the floor helps or levels mounted in the cabinets. Photo is of my levels in the cabinets in front of and the side of the drivers seat. Walmart trailer levels in the RV section. Open the cabinet doors and proceed with leveling.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2014-09-30 13.02.08.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	221.2 KB
ID:	337587  
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 01:12 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
My leveling sequence: (I have the Hadley system).
1. Key on
2. Press and hold "Lower" on Hadley. Hold until all air is expelled.
3. Key off
4. Power on Equalizer System
5. Press AutoLevel
6. Minor adjustments as required. We also use the bathroom door as an indicator
7. Power Off
dcphil_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 02:58 PM   #6

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
Hi Christopher,

If you use the auto-level feature, you need to be aware that auto-level only knows "UP" as a solution to any out of level condition.
Take care,
Stu
That is the best analysis of auto leveling I have heard in a while. I manually lower my RV as much as possible before hitting the auto level like someone else said. Remember that the auto level will lower the back jacks first which doesn't always work well. Oh ya, we also use a Levelmate pro.
Rev. Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:11 PM   #7

As there is no ammonia fridge, the only real reason to level our Aspire is operator comfort.
I don't mind if the coach is out of level, it really doesn't bother me much.
DW will tell me if she is trying to cook something and everything is going to one side of the pan.
I do like to keep the bottom step a reasonable distance from the ground. Holding the leashes as 3 75 pound Huskies "burst forth" for their morning P can get really risky when the last step is a foot!

I'll let auto do it's thing, then correct manually.
See above "it only levels up, never down" I'll start by lowering the rear, then the front, then side to side, favoring keeping the step height right.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:24 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
My Level Mate Amateur was $2.97 for the pair at Walmart.

Old 07-28-2021, 05:05 PM   #9

When the coach can’t get there by itself I will follow the above as outlined and do it manually. I keep a three axis torpedo level in the drawer but usually use the iPhone .
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 05:53 PM   #10

So one note of caution…it is is very possible that you can tweak the rig up in such a way as to break a windshield. Be cautious of considering being perfectly level!!!!
Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:18 PM   #11

Thank you all - the iphone apps for bubble level will help - as well as lowering all the way and using the manual levelers.

The manual says plumbing may not work right if it isn't level, I'm sure 'close' is just fine though.

I'll bring along some 2X12s for 'downhill front end' and also am adding a heavy duty extension cord so we have more flexibility where in the site we position to start.

The Aspire turns a lot of heads in the state parks LOL. Where are you all?

We LOVE lakes and beaches so that's always what we are seeking.

Chris
ChristopherG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:36 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnontheroad View Post
While I too love tech gadgets, for me (and DW) the best indication of level is the bathroom door on our 44B.

Continuing on the low tech side, I carry a fair amount of 2" X 12" X 24" long lumber, mostly stored under the basement trays. When I have to use an unlevel site, I try to find one where the nose is low. Then I add lumber under the wheels and the jacks to allow the coach to level.

Bit of a pain but all part of the enjoyment of RVing .
Yup I do the same thing. I like all the wheels on the ground. If I drive into a site and one corner, side or end is way low. I put it where I want it, mark it, back up a foot or two and drive it up on good old fashioned lumber. Then I use the same amount under the jack on that corner. The idea is to keep the suspension flat and the jack extension close to the same.
amosnandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 08:15 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by amosnandy View Post
If I drive into a site and one corner, side or end is way low. I put it where I want it, mark it, back up a foot or two and drive it up on good old fashioned lumber.
One benefit of the LevelMatePRO system is that it transmits live info as you drive. Before arrival at a parking spot, simply open the app on your phone and you can see an image like this:

Name:	LevelMatePRO_before.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	337617

As you move forward, those values change in real time so that you can see the effect of pulling forward (or backward). Sometimes moving just a few inches can make a rather significant difference in the degree of out of level. A difference that may not be easily discernable by the naked eye.

Take care,
Stu
Old 07-29-2021, 06:23 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Stu, I am having a laugh and the "new app' method of leveling, it is nice, but it does the same thing the $2.97 RV level kit from Walmart does. Open the front and side cabinet doors while parking, pull forward or back for the most lever spot. I guess it works like the old fuel sight gauge on a PA-11, not pretty but accurate.

Tags
leveling