Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2023, 04:53 AM   #1

Lights not working on tow vehicle

So, yesterday was the first time I attempted to tow my Jeep behind my new '23 Cornerstone. Unfortunately, the brake/tail lights on the Jeep did not work when plugged into it. I tried two different cables and neither one worked.

I didn't have time to troubleshoot, and I'm not with the RV currently to look at the manuals, but I'm hoping it's maybe just a blown fuse. Has anyone here every had this problem, and do you happen to know where the fuse is located for the tow light harness? Thanks!
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2023, 05:49 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Two things, check the the pins on the tow plug are spread out making contact with the othr plugs. You can check power with a voltmeter or test light. If no power, the fuses are in the round fuse holder next to the engine starting batteries.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 05:58 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Two things, check the the pins on the tow plug are spread out making contact with the othr plugs. You can check power with a voltmeter or test light. If no power, the fuses are in the round fuse holder next to the engine starting batteries.
Thank you so much for your advice! I will check it out later today when I get back to the RV. I appreciate your response.
RedRaider93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 06:02 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for the tip Chuck and fuse location. I have never had an issue with my lights not working when I have properly secured the light cable.

We do a quick light check at the start of each travel day. And a wheels are rolling check on the Ford Edge.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 07:14 AM   #5

getting one of these will tell you if you have a coach or toad issue

https://www.amazon.com/CURT-58270-Ve...01EOWQY4&psc=1
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 09:09 AM   #6

Kinda redundant, isn't it? If the 4 way flashers and the running lights are not illuminated during your pre-start walk around, this tells you nothing that you dont already know.

I put on my running lights and 4 way flashers before I exit the coach for my final walk-around and I check all the lights then.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 09:23 AM   #7

Jeff, this may or may not be your issue but it could be:
I had issues with a well known after market supplier’s harness on my Jeep. Solution: bought the MOPAR 4 Down wiring harness.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 12:46 PM   #8

A 7 way round tester plugged into your plug on the rear will allow you to quickly troubleshoot your issue. If it doesn’t light up, it’s a fuse in the fuse holder by the batteries. If it does light up, it’s something in the cord or tow vehicle. Highly recommended purchasing one.
Bobby Dowdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 01:42 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I just set up my 2022 JLU for towing behind my Winnebago View Class C (Mercedes chassis) and had a similar problem. My problem turned out to be due to having LED taillights on the Jeep which did not provide adequate resistance to the MH tow plug. The Mercedes chassis computer checks for resistance and doesn’t activate the tow connector if it doesn’t see enough resistance. No clue if your Spartan chassis has any similar computer looking for resistance. Solution was to buy an adapter that added resistance to each pin. CURT 57003 LED-Compatible 7-Way RV Blade Vehicle-Side Trailer Wiring Adapter https://a.co/d/a7H9lxW
mricet1005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2023, 09:10 PM   #10

When we hooked our jeep up first time on the new Anthem we had bad fuses in right and left turn signal circuits. Swapped new ones and no trouble since in probably 20 hookup/unhooks. We also do light check and roll test each hookup.

My Sierra Denali has a built in light test when you connect a trailer. Steps through the running lights, turn signals, brake lights and back up lights in sequence on truck and trailer, and repeats so you can do light check easily by yourself. Would be nice if the RV manufacturers could add that testing capability - our Coach seldom moves without the Jeep connected.
Papa Brad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights, tow