Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2020, 09:50 PM   #57

Stu, I just checked the model number you referenced. It appears several of the Lowe's stores here in the Phoenix area have that model in stock. So I'll see about doing an exchange tomorrow.

I agree with you regarding the value of the levelers, so thanks very much for the info you provided! With the five bucks Gary owes me and the money I'll save not having to drive to Virginia, I'll buy you a cold beverage of your choice when I get there.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2020, 09:51 PM   #58

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Not far from our home in north Scottsdale, we have a Lowe’s, a Costco, and a Home Depot, all located within a mile or so of each other. I hit Lowe’s first and purchased one of the last two $129.00 Little Giant ladders (Little Giant Model #16517-002, Lowe’s Item #1424432).
Hi Larry,

As advised by the ultimate shopper (DW), might I suggest that you "Go south, young man."

The S. Scottsdale Lowes (https://www.lowes.com/pd/Little-Gian...der/1000386349) shows 57 of the Item #935161Model #16517-803 ladders available in Aisle 19 | Bay 7. That's not the Model #16517-002, Lowe’s Item #1424432

The Model #16517-803 does have wheels and leg levelers.

What a difference a digit makes!

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-12-2020, 10:02 PM   #59

Stu, I may not even have to go south. Checking the Lowe's web site in more detail, it alleges that the store closest to me in north Scottsdale has 30 of the 16517-803's in stock.

They must have them well-hidden because when I was in there today the ladder aisle was pretty bare and had only two 16517-002's (and ZERO 16517-803's) on display.

But hey, if the web site says they have 30 of them, they must have 30 of them. Because, as we all know, if you read it on the Internet it has to be true!
Old 11-12-2020, 10:06 PM   #60

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post

P.S. - The link you included doesn't appear to be the one you intended. Within the first hour or so after making the post, you should be able to edit it to what you wanted.
Hi Larry,

Thanks for catching my mis-linked link. You saved me from being banished from society forever by giving me an opportunity to edit a link that could possibly offend about one half of the population, including someone who might report me to the political correctness police. I hope you weren't offended. If you were, well...

At any rate, it looks like you're on track to find the LG w/leg levelers (and wheels).

Although I now consider us even on the drink balance sheet, that certainly wouldn't preclude us drinking together when our paths cross.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-12-2020, 10:17 PM   #61

No problem Stu - happy to keep you out of jail. As far as offending me, let's just say that when the PC police get around to profiling RV owners, you & I will probably end up in the same cell block.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:25 PM   #62

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Funny you should mention that. I ran out to the East Mesa Lowe’s and found a display with a bunch of “Model 17” Little Giants with a tag hanging in front of the display saying $129. I pulled one off the stack and rushed to the self checkout thinking what a sweet deal I had scored (thanks again Gary). But when I scanned the barcode it rang up as $169. I asked the lady working the checkout area and she couldn’t explain so she called for help. Long story short the dept. mgr. finally determined that the one I had was product number something-002 and the correct one was product number same-something -803. Almost identical except for the wheels and leveling. The correct one was in the row above the ones behind the $129 tag and They had to get a ladder (ironically) to fetch one for me.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:03 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
We bought the Little Giant back when you could only buy them direct from a home improvement in person show. Cost back then was over $400.
Some folks have a knack for overpaying for things.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 10:16 AM   #64

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
The CBR would certainly make it all worth it.

AND, I could rent out my services for ~ $90 an hour to all the other envious motorcoach owners who need to get to the roof but were afraid to buy the Little Giant that is on sale right now for $129.

(Seriously, for those who bought the ladder, or those who are still thinking of buying the ladder, there is a fantastic video on the various tricks and options on the Little Giant up on their web page that will show you things that would take you 2 years to figure out on your own. Most important is how to unfold the ladder to its full 15 or 17' (whatever you believe) easily and effortlessly. Worth watching).

Gary
Thanks Gary, after watching the video I decided to look it up on-line. Amazon had it for $199 w/free shipping. Lowe's had it for $129 and free shipping also, which is good since the closest Lowe's to me is an hour and a half drive one way. I figure for $129 plus tax I can't go wrong, and following this discussion it is the correct model number.

There will probably be an Xtend ladder for sale soon
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 12:40 PM   #65

The Rest of the Story

Well, as many of you know, I have been a real advocate for the Harbor Freight ladder which can usually be purchased for ~ $120 minus 15 or 20%. It is a great ladder compared to other offerings such as the Little Giant that used to retail for in excess of $200. So I started this thread when I saw the 17' Little Giant offered for sale by Lowes for a mere $129. The thread has generated a lot of interest and in reading through all the pluses and minuses of the various ladders and then going to the Little Giant web page, I began to see that the 803 version had some features that were new to me..... 1.) a nifty quick set of extension feet that still handled the 300# rating of the ladder and lets you adjust for differing heights in surrounding terrain, 2.) nice little wheels, 3.) what looked like heavier duty construction, and 4.) positive locking, slick knobs that allowed easy folding and collapsing of the ladder and leg extensions..... so the more I thought about the on-sale Little Giant, the more I realized that it was probably a better ladder all around and even more useful on my Cornerstone than my current ladder, so after mulling the decision over night, I went over and bought my own Little Giant ladder (you gotta be careful since Lowes handles like 4 or 5 different, but very similar, models of the Little Giant). So, now I have a Harbor Freight folding ladder that is looking for a new home. I have more than my own share of ladders already so not sure that I need another one, but from the standpoint of the old adage, "You can never have too many ladders" maybe I don't need to give one away. Then again, maybe my son needs a nice 17' folding ladder.......

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 01:39 PM   #66
YC1

Myron, the "double discount" didn't work for me. The receipt is annotated: *MINIMUM RETAIL PRICE APPLIED TO THIS ITEM* and no discount. Other items that I purchased on the same receipt did qualify for the 10% military discount.

Ha, fooled you Stu. Just ordered it online. Free shipping and $12.90 military discount. Now I will have his and hers ladders.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 01:42 PM   #67

Entegra Owners Club
Talked yourself into it!
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:01 PM   #68

Many of you may or may not know that you can get, for the asking, a Lowes credit card that automatically gives you a 5% discount on everything you buy at Lowes. I bought $9,000 of Pella windows recently from Lowes to replace some cheap aluminum windows in my Sticks and Bricks and thought I would guess a nice discount as I charged them on my Lowes card..... but no, I got no discount on the windows, but did get a discount on everything else in the order. The windows were "discounted already". However, in my purchase of the Little Giant today, I DID get the 5% off the sale price of $129 so I got it for about 10 bucks less. Always pays to try.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 08:51 AM   #69

Entegra Owners Club
Not to be out done, Home Depot just put their 18 ft brand on sale for $79.88
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gorilla-...A-18/309832564
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 01:00 PM   #70

As promised in an earlier post, I did some additional research regarding Little Giant ladders currently on sale at Lowe’s, and how those ladders compare to the Gorilla ladder currently on sale at Home Depot. I also stopped by our local Harbor Freight store to eyeball a similar ladder they offer under the Franklin brand name.

So, what did I learn?

For starters, it turned out there are two different Little Giant ladders currently on sale at Lowe’s – model #16517-002 and model #16517-803. As you can see in the first two images below, the 16517-002 is regularly priced at $169.00 and is currently on sale for $129.00, while the 16517-803 is regularly priced at $184.00 and is currently on sale for the same $129.00. For some unknown reason the sale price on the 16517-002 ends 11/25/2020, while the sale price on the 16517-803 ends a week sooner on 11/18/2020 (just a few days from now).

Those two Little Giant ladders are virtually identical, except the 16517-803 has two additional features: a set of small transport wheels and a pair of “Ratchet Levelers” which can be used to compensate when the ladder is on uneven ground.

As noted in an earlier post, I had already purchased a Little Giant 16517-002 ladder at our local Lowe’s, and a fairly similar Gorilla model #GLMPXA-18 ladder at our local Home Depot. As you can see in the third image below, the Gorilla GLMPXA-18 is regularly priced at $159.00 and is currently on sale for a very attractive $79.88. (I checked but couldn’t determine an end date for that sale pricing.)

Regarding the Franklin ladder at Harbor Freight, it looked to be pretty similar to the Little Giant 16517-002 (the model with no wheels and no levelers). As indicated in the fourth image below, it is regularly priced at $139.99 and is currently on sale for $109.99 through 11/25/2020.

On Friday 11/13/2020, I stopped at our local Lowe’s and purchased a Little Giant model 16517-803 – the model with the transport wheels and levelers. I thought about purchasing one of the Franklin ladders at Harbor Freight for my planned comparison testing, but since it looked very similar to the Little Giant 16517-002 I decided to pass on that.

That’s enough for this post. I’ll initiate another post to report what I learned during the comparison testing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Little Giant Folding Ladder-Model 16517-002 Pricing.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	308138   Click image for larger version

Name:	Little Giant Folding Ladder-Model 16517-803 Pricing.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	308139  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gorilla Folding Ladder-Model GLMPXA-18 Pricing.jpg