Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2020, 06:32 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am having the same problem as Goldie with finding the 17 ft little giant ladder on the Lowes web site. Maybe it is because of where in the USA we are looking from.

I see the same ladder Goldie does on sale for 129. But it is a 15 foot ladder. Just a little to short.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2020, 06:43 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I went ahead and purchased the one in the link Stu sent.
Lowes shows it as 15 ft but little giant shows it as 17 ft.

Thanks for the tip Gary and for the storage guidance.

The DW says that ladder is a Christmas present. Our rule of thumb is anything we get in November or December counts as a Christmas present from each other.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 09:05 AM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVFunlovers View Post
I went ahead and purchased the one in the link Stu sent.
Lowes shows it as 15 ft but little giant shows it as 17 ft.

The Model 17 in the 1A style on the Little Giant website also shows a maximum extension of 15’. Can someone with a Model 17 (or the Lowe’s equivalent) chime in and tell me how far the ladder extends beyond the roof line when fully extended. Is the 15’ to the last step or to the top of the side of the ladder? Our current ladder gives us about 2’ above roofline - easy access to the roof but not necessarily an easy reach to grab and step when you are coming down. Rick would like to have 3-4’ above roofline. Will the Model 17 give him that or do we need to go to a larger ladder?
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 12:45 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
OK, let’s review generally accepted ladder safety policy: the 4 to 1 rule. That is, the base of the ladder should be placed so that it is one foot away from the building for every four feet of height to where the ladder rests against the building. This is known as the 4 to 1 rule.

So for a roof line that is 13 feet above the ground, the base of the ladder should be a little more than 3 feet from the wall.

For sake of example, I chose a distance for the base of the ladder to be 4 feet. Here’s a graphic depiction of the resulting triangle:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ladder geometry.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	307558

In this example, the length of ladder required to reach the roof line is 13 feet 8 inches.

By actual measurement of the ladder that I provided the link (https://go.skimresources.com/?id=218...lick%20%5B2%5D), the length from the bottom of the foot on the ground to the top of the foot above the roof is 15 feet. The top rung is 1 foot below the top of the ladder. The leg levelers on both of the legs would, if extended, provide an additional 6 inches of height to the ladder.

So, in this example, the Little Giant ladder would extend 1 foot 4 inches above the roof line and the top rung would be 4 inches above the roof line. With both leg levelers extended to the maximum, the ladder would extend 1 foot 10 inches above the roof line and the top rung would be 10 inches above the roof line.

It is necessary to understand that in the example above, the assumption is that the ground is level. It’s been my experience that the ground does frequently slop down, away from the parking pad, reducing the heights above the roof line.

If you require 3 – 4 feet above the roof line, you’ll probably find the Model 17 to be inadequate.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-10-2020, 03:43 PM   #19

Nor'easters Club
Here is the pic!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5E4710B6-93C1-432A-9B79-6B0187B9FE73.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	307576   Click image for larger version

Name:	F0B36D5A-7F27-422E-9829-0094DA76BE3F.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	329.9 KB
ID:	307578  

ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:09 PM   #20

The one we got at Lowe’s for &129 is pictured
It extends to 17 ft 11 inches. Lower left corner
I hope this pic comes through.
I have never done this before
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	9B47AA0D-3C64-4B21-9315-5065E3B67400.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	295.0 KB
ID:	307583  
MuggsnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 04:42 PM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuggsnMe View Post
The one we got at Lowe’s for &129 is pictured

It extends to 17 ft 11 inches. Lower left corner

I hope this pic comes through.

I have never done this before

No...it extends to about 15’. The 17’11” refers to the reach of an average height adult. Lowe’s clarifies that on their website.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:15 PM   #22

Thanks for the clarification

Bob
MuggsnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 05:29 PM   #23

I guess I have never taken a tape measure to my ladder but it is called 17'. And what is important to me is that I can hang onto the ladder as I step from the ladder to the roof and reverse. Ditto has his ladder placed a little further away from his coach than I place mine so my ladder has a little higher handhold when I climb. It is enough for me to steady as I transition. Now, I'll also point out that I have two artificial knees (mine are titanium??!!??) so while high quality, they are not like real knees, but close and I have no problem getting from the ladder to the roof and back. Real knees would work better!

Would I like them to be even taller, Yes!, but my fear would be that then the ladder would not go into the basement and fit the way it has to fit.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 09:29 AM   #24
YC1

There is an option on one of the Little Giant ladders that telescopes a hand hold. I didn't check today but someone may have seen it.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 10:34 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I purchased the last one in stock at the local Lowe's in Ocala, Fl.

It does extend above the roof line and is very sturdy and secure feeling while using it. I'm happy with it and glad I got there in time before the last one went out.

KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #26

Curious to know if anyone has any experience with telescoping ladders, similar to the ones offered by this company:

https://xtendandclimb.com/telescoping-ladders

One of our previous motorhomes (a 2007 Winnebago Vectra) came with one. I can't recall what I didn't like about it, but for whatever reason I ended up not keeping it. I'm guessing telescoping ladders have progressed since then.

Telescoping ladders have the advantage of taking up less space than the Little Giant ladders (originals & knock-offs), but they're also considerably more expensive, at least for the ones that appear to be the best quality.

Thoughts and opinions, please.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:07 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Curious to know if anyone has any experience with telescoping ladders, similar to the ones offered by this company:

https://xtendandclimb.com/telescoping-ladders

One of our previous motorhomes (a 2007 Winnebago Vectra) came with one. I can't recall what I didn't like about it, but for whatever reason I ended up not keeping it. I'm guessing telescoping ladders have progressed since then.

Telescoping ladders have the advantage of taking up less space than the Little Giant ladders (originals & knock-offs), but they're also considerably more expensive, at least for the ones that appear to be the best quality.

Thoughts and opinions, please.
I use the xtendandclimb ladder. There are cheap knockoffs that have lower weight ratings that should be avoided.
It will flex more than the LG ladder.
It may not extend as far above the roof. There are extensions for various ladders that can be added to create something to grab when transitioning. More stuff to store. I’m under 150, agile and survived a career on ladders. I extend mine about a foot above the roof. It’s not a recommendation, just my preference.

With any of these ladders, LG, telescoping or extension, SECURE the ladder prior to use. Particularly if you are going to extend it 2-3’ above the roof. That extension above the roof creates a lever with which you can easily cause the ladder to become unstable when going from ladder to roof or roof to ladder. At least one rope or tie down strap that runs perpendicular to the ladder, typically from the 5th or 6th rung, to a low point on the coach, hitch, wheel, low point of basement storage, for example. Two straps that angle away from the ladder at 45 degrees provides more stability. You want to pull the bottom of the ladder into the ground and the top of the ladder into the coach. A couple of pieces of pipe insulation can be used to protect the coach paint.

Be safe.

Question: Did you guys buy $500K coaches and won’t pop $200-300 for a ladder?
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Now, I'll also point out that I have two artificial knees (mine are titanium??!!??) so while high quality, they are not like real knees, but close and I have no problem getting from the ladder to the roof and back. Real knees would work better!
Gary,
I know how you feel. I've got a pair of titanium hips. Way better than they were, but still not like a good original hip! I picked up one of the ladders and I'll see how it works with my hips.

Later ...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
sale