Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #1

Little Giant Sale

I just thought that I would pass along that the Little Giant folding ladder that many Entegra owners use in their coach is on sale for $129 at Lowes until the 18th. Fully extended the ladder is 17' tall which is tall enough to clear the roof providing a nice hand hold as you step from roof to ladder or ladder to roof. This is the best price I have seen for that name brand ladder.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2020, 06:10 PM   #2

I saw Harbor Freight version is on sale for $99
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Dog View Post
I saw Harbor Freight version is on sale for $99
Don't risk your life on a HF knockoff.
Ray Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2020, 07:15 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Gary, I want to get one of the little giant ladders.
I want to be sure I get the right ladder.

Is this the right one. Item #935161Model #16517-803

The sale on this looks to be one until the 25th on the Lowes web site. So I want to be sure I am getting the right ladder.

I want to be able to safely get on top of my coach and store the ladder somewhere in the coach basement.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 03:40 AM   #5

Thanks GARY for the tip
The wife & I were just starting to look at ladders yesterday but not decisions was made on what one to get. After seeing your post this morning, that was one of the ladders we were looking at. The wife made the purchase immediately. Thank you for sharing the info, very helpful to us.

Thanks
MuggsnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:37 AM   #6

Thanks or the info Gary. I have the older version and it is a little scary getting on and off the roof without the hand holds, so will probably buy the new one.
billb3672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:22 AM   #7
YC1

Holy Smokes, what a steal. I have had a Little Giant for ten years. Had it powder coated to match the RV. Mine does not have the wheels or the leg levelers.

I saw an ad month ago about some options for them such as a wide arm at the top and a hand hold too. Anyone familiar with those options??

At $129 and a military discount it is a steal. Looks like my beautiful old Little Giant will be passed down today.

Thanks for the link and heads up.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:23 AM   #8
YC1

https://wwcsupply.com/camco-51490-80...iABEgJTxvD_BwE

This is how I store my Little Giant and have don so for ten years. A bicycle lock and a couple of bungies hold it solidly in place. By painting it to match it is hardly seen versus the shiny metal look they come with.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 07:17 AM   #9

Well, I personally own the Harbor Freight version of the Little Giant and have owned it for ~ 6 years. Using it, I have been on the roof many times and many times the ladder has felt sturdy, held my #235 pounds of bulk just fine with no hint of weakness or wobbliness, and I would buy it again 10 times if I had to make the decision. At the time, I think it was ~$120 and it was well spent. Now, I bought the Harbor Freight version after I looked at the Little Giant which was highly rated but at the time the Little Giant was over $200 (I think that it was about $220. I compared them closely and felt that the Harbor Freight ladder was just as good and at less than half the price, I thought I would give it a try. (I bought nothing but Craftsman tools for 30 years before I discovered Kobalt and some other brands, and then I discovered Harbor Freight's version of most electrical tools and find that for the amount that I use them, I get my money's worth out of all of them. If they go bad, I buy another one for less than I would have paid for the name brand). Now again, I have not regretted the decision to buy the Harbor Freight version, but if the price had been $125 rather than $220, I would have stayed with a name brand and probably have bought the Little Giant version.

Here are the issues that you need to pay attention to, in my opinion.

You want a ladder that is at least 17 feet long fully extended. You want the ladder to extend above the roof line of the coach far enough that you have a hand hold as you make the step from the rung of the ladder over the Girard awning canister to the roof. When Entegra added the full length Girards, it improved the look of the coach, but it also made the coach higher and therefore the rung you stand on when you step to the coach one rung higher than it was on my 15 Anthem. A 17' ladder extends far enough above the coach that you still have a hand hold to make that transition. For me, the step that is most difficult is the step from the roof, over the Girard awning canister to the ladder rung. That is the one that takes the most caution to make safely and again, the ladder extends far enough above the coach to let you steady yourself as you make that step. I make that step backwards and sideways to the rung of the ladder from the roof.

Second, you want the damn thing to be solidly sturdy. There are collapsible ladders but I have heard of those collapsing unexpectedly and they just did not impress me. I didn't like how they folded and unfolded. I didn't like their size when collapsed. At the age of most of us Entegra owners, a fall, potentially to concrete or blacktop, from ~ 13 feet was nothing that I wanted to experience and could be devastating! So, I wanted a ladder that locked into position solidly and had virtually no possibility of collapsing with me on it. Both ladders we are talking about fill that requirement nicely. They lock together and it is a solid ladder fully extended. Now, I ALWAYS have my wife holding the base of the ladder when I use it. Its not really necessary but makes both of us feel better. She also cautions me about anything that she does not like. My hands have nothing in them but holding onto the ladder. All other stuff is moved up to the roof or off the roof in a bucket and rope that I pull up or down with a rope before or after I climb.

Third requirement is that it had to fit nicely into my basement without taking up too much space,. Both ladders do that nicely. When folded up, the ladder has a narrower end and a wider end. The wider end is produced by the wider spread of the legs on the top and bottom sections when full extended. The narrower end is just the center sections of the ladder. When folded, you insert the ladder into the last basement bay on the passenger side of the coach with the narrower end first.... that is the rear-most bay just in front of the water tanks and the drive axle. The narrow end goes in first and the ladder sits on its side in that bay. Fits perfectly. I stack some additional pails of supplies and spare parts between the ladder on its side and the basement wall that covers the batteries and many of the circuit breakers on this 19 Cornerstone, but fit just as well in my 15 Anthem. I dont think it is possible to carry a 17' ladder any more efficiently in a motorcoach than you can carry either of these ladders. If you must, you can strap the ladder to one of the basement main support steel structures.... I just fill the space between the battery and relay bulkhead with other stuff to hold the ladder safely in place.

Finally, I bought one of those foam "noodles" that people use in pools, slit it down the side and then cut off sections that would slide onto the ladder edges and make a foam pad between the metal of my coach roof transitions or Girard canisters and the aluminum side rails of the ladder so as to not scratch the coach's paint. Perfect!

So, there you have what I think are the issues. Either one is a good ladder IMO. At $125, I would probably buy the Little Giant. If it was at $199 (new lower price than 6 years ago), I would buy the Harbor Freight version and I'd be very happy with what I bought. No regrets.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 09:51 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
How heavy is the ladder?
sdesha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:49 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
35# according to Lowe’s website.
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 05:15 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I just thought that I would pass along that the Little Giant folding ladder that many Entegra owners use in their coach is on sale for $129 at Lowes until the 18th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YC1 View Post

At $129 and a military discount it is a steal. Looks like my beautiful old Little Giant will be passed down today.
Gary, thanks for the heads-up! I've grown weary of moving that ladder from home to coach and back for each trip in the motorhome. I seized this opportunity to purchase a dedicated coach ladder.

Myron, the "double discount" didn't work for me. The receipt is annotated: *MINIMUM RETAIL PRICE APPLIED TO THIS ITEM* and no discount. Other items that I purchased on the same receipt did qualify for the 10% military discount.

BTW, regarding the expiration of the discount (11/18 vs. 11/25), it appears that the expiration varies by store/region. My store in VA shows an expiration of 11/25; my son-in-law's store in NH shows expiration on 11/18.

Take care,
Stu
Old 11-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
I just thought that I would pass along that the Little Giant folding ladder that many Entegra owners use in their coach is on sale for $129 at Lowes until the 18th. Fully extended the ladder is 17' tall which is tall enough to clear the roof providing a nice hand hold as you step from roof to ladder or ladder to roof. This is the best price I have seen for that name brand ladder.

Gary

Gary, I’m confused. Not a big surprise I know. Wanted to get this for Rick but when I look at the Lowe’s website, the $129 ladder says it has a maximum extension of 15’ with an 18’ reach. I can find a (not on sale) Little Giant with 19’ maximum extension (22’ reach) for $199. But the only one I’m seeing for $129 is the 15’. Can you send me a link to the 17’ one please?
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 06:18 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ask, and ye shall receive

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
Can you send me a link to the 17’ one please?
I'm not Gary, but, I'm pretty sure this is the one:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Little-Gian...der/1000386349

From the Little Giant website(https://info.littlegiantladders.com/sku/16517-803) for the Model 16517-803 ladder is this:
Extension Total Length Of Sections 17 ft. 2 in. 5.23 m

Take care,
Stu

Tags
sale