Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-24-2017, 08:25 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Load support and outlets not on inverter

My Aspire is stored with hookup to 15A power. Today I took a small electric heater to warm up inside without the heavy current draw of electric Aquahot. I went to check the current draw with the heater running and was startled to see the Magnum controller displaying “AAC Load Support.”
I assume that means the power for the heater is coming from the inverter.

Are there any outlets that connect directly to the shore power rather than feeding from inverter?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2017, 10:49 PM   #2

I think all power enters the coach and goes through the energy management system.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 06:54 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
DO not use 1500 Watt Space heaters on RV wiring. If you must use 1500 Watt heaters install special outlets. I have 3 such (Well technically 5)

One is a special "Single" outlet 15/20 amp style 12 ga wiring
Two are 15/20 style. 12ga wire (Bent around a screw) and dedicated circuit breakers

Two are daisy cained 15 am style. First is a GFCI 12ga wire around a screw,.

THe QUick Box jobs Overheat
Old 11-25-2017, 07:05 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
If you are hooked to shore power the AC should by pass the inverter. There is a current sensing circuit within the inverter that controls the relay that directs the source of AC power.
I don't know what "AAC load support" means.
Hopefully someone can explain that.
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:06 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I believe the bathroom outlets are not on the inverter. Take a look at your panels over the driver seat, one is fed through the inverter and the other is directly from shore.
kwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 08:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasman 2 View Post
If you are hooked to shore power the AC should by pass the inverter. There is a current sensing circuit within the inverter that controls the relay that directs the source of AC power.
I don't know what "AAC load support" means.
Hopefully someone can explain that.
Magnum makes a hybrid inverter with load support.

The load support is a feature that uses the inverter output to parallel the shore power, if the load on shore power or a small generator is much for it.

The issue with using it with an steady draw, like an electric heater, is you are depleting your batteries while its working.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2017, 11:25 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks twinboat for explaining that. Is there a setting in the Magnum to prevent load sharing? Or just shut the inverter off?

Thanks,
Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 05:56 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for all the information. I used to use a box heater in my Phaeton frequently so did not expect it to be an issue with the Aspire.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:42 AM   #9

From the Magnum hybrid manual (pg 32).
3.2.2 Load Support
While in the Standby Mode and the charger is enabled, the MSH-M Series inverter/charger has the ability to work in parallel with the incoming AC source to support the AC loads using current from the batteries. During the Standby mode, the current and voltage from the AC source and the AC load current are continually monitored. When loads that exceed the available current from either the shorepower grid or the generator are connected, the Load Support feature is automatically activated. The Load Support feature causes the MSH-M inverter/charger to reduce/stop the
battery charging operation and begin the inverting operation to allow any available current from the batteries to be used to ensure the AC loads are powered and the current does not exceed the capacity of the AC source, or trip its output breakers or fuses. The Load Support feature turns off once the load demand decreases and spare power from the incoming AC source is available; when this happens, the battery charger is again activated and begins charging the batteries.
For the Load Support feature to automatically function, the following needs to occur:
1. An AC source (shorepower/AC generator) must be connected.
2. The inverter must be enabled (INV LED is on).
3. The battery voltage must be ≥0.5 volts (for a 12-volt system) or ≥1.0 volts (for a 24-volt
system) than the LBCO setting.
Info: If using a remote and the unit is in load support, the status will indicate either
“Load Support AAC” or “Load Support VDC”.
There are two modes of operation within Load Support.
• Load Support AAC – In this mode, the AC loads connected are requiring more power than the incoming AC source can provide on its own. The inverter pulls the additional current—that is needed for the loads—from the inverter batteries to keep the incoming AC current from exceeding the input amps setting on the remote control.
Info: In Load Support AAC, even though the LED indicators may indicate charging, the inverter/charger may not be putting current into the battery. If using a remote, the Inverter/Charger Amps AC meter will indicate the load support process by displaying a negative current fl owing from the batteries to the loads. The input amps AC value on the remote will also drop during this process, while the load amps AC value remains the same.
• Load Support VDC – In this mode, an external DC source (i.e., solar, hydro, wind, etc.,) is
providing more current than needed, causing the battery bank voltage to rise. The inverter/ charger reduces the incoming AC current and uses current from the batteries in an effort to keep the battery voltage from rising above the temperature-compensated battery voltage
setting on the remote control.
Info: The charger must be enabled (not in ‘Charger Standby’) for the Load Support
VDC feature to be active.
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 07:59 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pretty neat feature. But one does need to be aware of it for situations like this.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2017, 08:29 AM   #11

An added note is that the unit is working in unison with ME-ARC (advanced remote control) with quite a few features/ settings and might take a little time and having the control manual at hand while getting to understand all the features.
"Load support" AC in setting would be the F (favorites key) and rotate the knob to 3 on the front display. There you can set the incoming amps you're connecting. For instance if I connect my Honda 2000 generator I set it at 15 amps if more power is being used than that it will take from the batteries, if there is surplus power it will charge the batteries.
Itinerant1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter