Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2018, 02:38 AM   #15

Instead of putting locking caps on our 16 Anthem the very first mod. I made was adding cam locks to the fuel tank covers. Not fool proof but I have had no problems and anything that slows a potential fuel thief down is going to help for sure........Alan
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #16

Entegra Owners Club
Mike, unless you have determined for sure your tank is empty go drive your coach.
My fuel gauge did this after setting over winter.
I knew the tank was fuel Full and no one had stole the fuel.
I figured had a bad sending unit again so I ordered a new sending unit from Spartan.
But in mean time I took the coach for a dive to warm up the lub in the rear end so I could change it and about three or four miles the fuel gauge begin working again, so I guess we're not suppose to let these coaches set.

Richard
Gasman 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:43 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Locking gas cap

Just for your info. The sending unit should read 33 ohms when full, 65 ohms at 3/4 and 240 ohms at empty, that's with it disconnected from the coach.
Old 08-14-2018, 09:09 PM   #18

Entegra Owners Club
Mike, did you check and see if the generator would start and remain running. Obviously if it starts and remains running you'll not out of fuel.
Old 08-15-2018, 07:52 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
In my 12.5 kw generator with all ac running burns 1/2 gallon an hour. I have tested this on numerous occasions. I have filled up the tank to the max then drove 1 mile back to the place we were staying for a few days. When we were ready to go drove 1 mile back to the same station to fill up. Each time in the last 5 years 1/2 gallon an hour
Old 08-15-2018, 08:22 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by philnail View Post
In my 12.5 kw generator with all ac running burns 1/2 gallon an hour. I have tested this on numerous occasions. I have filled up the tank to the max then drove 1 mile back to the place we were staying for a few days. When we were ready to go drove 1 mile back to the same station to fill up. Each time in the last 5 years 1/2 gallon an hour

Thanks good info to have.
Surmotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 08:38 AM   #21

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by philnail View Post
Cummins shows the 12.5 burns .48 gal per hour at half load and 1.27 at full load.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:07 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Cummins shows the 12.5 burns .48 gal per hour at half load and 1.27 at full load.
Finally made it back to the coach yesterday. Took some advice on here and checked to see if the generator would start... Which it did like normal. So I assume that the sending unit is bad. Time to Google that since I have no idea where it is or what it looks like.
On a side note, I also purchased a TMPS. Found out that 2 tires had only 40 psi. So I couldn't take the coach for a drive to see if the gas gauge would unfreeze. [emoji15]
GeezerViz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:29 PM   #23

Mike, did you verify the pressures with a reliable tire pressure gauge, other than the TPMS?

Also, I’m a bit concerned that not one but two tires are significantly under inflated. If you verify this is true data, I’d suggest taking the tires for a professional inspection, once they are correctly inflated.

My concerns would be:
-How long has the tire been under inflated?
-Did it cause damage?
-Why were the tires under inflated?

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:42 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Mike, did you verify the pressures with a reliable tire pressure gauge, other than the TPMS?

Also, I’m a bit concerned that not one but two tires are significantly under inflated. If you verify this is true data, I’d suggest taking the tires for a professional inspection, once they are correctly inflated.

My concerns would be:
-How long has the tire been under inflated?
-Did it cause damage?
-Why were the tires under inflated?

-Matt
I checked with pressure with my Viair compressor. I started inflating the tire with that but it got so hot, I stopped. Didn't want to ruin it the first time I used it. FYI - All tires were under inflated, but most by only 10-15 psi. I have really only driven the coach home from the dealer (about 250 miles) and I didn't check the tires before I drove it. However the coach has 4k miles on it, so does make me wonder if anyone ever checked the pressure.
Old 08-26-2018, 06:56 PM   #25

The Viair is kinda my last resort for inflation. I have several other much better options.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 06:57 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Mike, drive the coach before you condemn the sending unit. Mine acted the same way but come back to life after driving a few miles.
Spartan changed the location of sending unit sometime around the 2017 models. I would guess yours is before the change and the location is on the right side of the tank somewhere near half way down. Fuel level needs to below half tank for obvious reasons before attempting the change.

Spartan went to a top sending later on and as far as know this would require dropping the tank to replace the sending unit.
I understand from Spartan that the top sending units are more reliable. That is the reason I believe yours is bon the side of the tank rather than the top.
Our coach is on its third side sending unit.

Richard
Old 09-26-2018, 08:21 PM   #27

Just a quick follow up... I was finally able to drive the coach and the gas gauge began working before I got to the end of the driveway. Much relieved. Now I have to take it to a body shop as the folks installing my Airforce One moved the coach and scraped it on a chain link fence... Arggg...
Old 09-28-2018, 03:16 PM   #28

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post

At any rate if you want locking fuel caps here is what I used in 2014. I would not think things have changed. Stant 10591D (gives you a green cap).
After checking three different local auto parts stores (Advance Auto Parts, NAPA and Auto Zone) with responses ranging from, "You'll need to take them to a locksmith to have them re-keyed" to, "Nope. Can't do it." Finally, at O'Reilly, the salesperson broke the code. Although the Stant 10591D is the right locking cap, by substituting the part number of Stant 17591D, both caps will be keyed the same, even though they are shipped to your local store from different locations. That presumption seems to be supported by the Stant website (PartCat - put the part#17591D in the search window and look at the "Part Info").

So, the two caps from different locations should arrive next Tuesday at my local O'Reilly store. I'll be able to confirm, then, that the Stant 17591D caps are all keyed alike.

So, it seems that any of us who have purchased the Stant 17591D caps will have access to each other's fuel tanks. Kind of like the CH751 key for the locking fuel doors on my prior coach. Although I didn't try it, I was advised by a usually reliable source that all the CH751 fuel door keys were the same.

Take care,
Stu

Tags
gas