Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2017, 01:49 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Black specs are algae and will definitely cause the problem of fuel not flowing. There is a lot more inside of the filter that didn't pour out. You will need to get some algaecide,
Biobor JF is available at most marine and some farm/ranch supply places.

Brett W. (Diesel RV Club technical guy) recommends it. We use it anytime the coach is going to sit for more than a couple of weeks, along with making sure we store with a full tank to minimize condensation space.

Michelle
spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2017, 06:32 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Dave, I picked up some algae laden fuel from a brand new station just a few blocks from my house. My guess is the new tanks had condensation in them before the grand opening that turned to algae by the time I purchased fuel..

The second problem is I did not put storing agent in the fuel as I was selling the MH, which it sold in 2 weeks. The buyer did not pick up the MH for 3 months.... by that time it was to late. He made it as far as Ocala when it shut down burning out the fuel pump. Sad thing, I left him with spare filters, but he didn't want to get his hand dirty and drove to Cummins.

Be careful driving to much with reduced power, burning out the fuel pump is very expensive. Sure sorry you had to experience this, it is not fun and can happen at anytime. Hopefully the algae is not bad and the spare filter gets you home.
Thanks Chuck. I'm some what confident that the fuel filter change and the additive I put in the tank will solve the problem. I only changed out the primary filter because I doubt the algae got past it to the secondary, but I could be wrong.

I only have a 1.25 hr drive home so we'll see how it all works. On the way here, there were times when the power was coming back up so I don't believe I have as big of a problem as it could have been.

Does anybody know how many times i have to start the engine before the computer resets the codes?
Old 05-28-2017, 06:50 PM   #17

Entegra Owners Club
Glad it is a light case of Algae. When I was getting all of the bogus CEL and codes they would normally clear in 1/2 dozen starts. Turning it off and restating a few times never worked for me, I actually had to put some miles on.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:34 AM   #18

Black specks in fuel

Also had black specks in primary filter and after changing filter drove some 750 miles back home and after checking the filter is was still full of the specks. Have added Kill-em additive and hopefully it will help but with 120 gallon of fuel in tank it will be hard to clean it.
Larry060748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:23 PM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
According to the manufacturer, one thing to be aware of with Biobor and similar products is that while it kills the HUM bugs (Hydrocarbon Utilizing Micro-organisms) , it doesn't remove their dead bodies. Potentially making the filter clogging problem worse if your tank is already full of sludge.
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 04:29 PM   #20

I know you dont want to consider this at this point, but I used to own a fairly big sailboat with a marine diesel auxiliary engine in it. I always used algaecide in the tank. Now I use BioBor in the Cornerstone tank.

However, there are services which will come out to your boat, suck all the diesel out of the tanks, and then clean and purify it and run it right back into the tank. Its costs a few pennies but supposedly does the job in cleaning dirty algae infested fuel.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:18 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Now I use BioBor in the Cornerstone tank.

Gary
Yes - quick, easy, and doesn't take much. Thanks,

BG
BobG88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:14 AM   #22

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Fuel Tank Contamination

Keep in mind that it took time for the fuel tank to become contaminated and it will take time to clean. A good quality biocide should always be used profilacticly to prevent this issue. Once a tank becomes contaminated it must be cleaned through the use of a good surfactant that would dissolve the sludge so that the biocide can kill the bacteria. A biocide (think of it as an antibiotic) is active for 30 to 45 days depending on the degree of contamination (infection).

I use Bell Perfomance - Bellicide (biocide) and Tank Treatment ACF (Sludge Surfactant) to clean and keep the fuel supply system trouble free. I also use the Lube Pro as a lubricity enhancer for the generator (of course the main engine benefits from it but doesn’t need).

BTW fuel polishing cleans the fuel but not the sludge. Your approach must include tank cleaning and bacterial prevention.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose67 View Post
Keep in mind that it took time for the fuel tank to become contaminated and it will take time to clean. A good quality biocide should always be used profilacticly to prevent this issue. Once a tank becomes contaminated it must be cleaned through the use of a good surfactant that would dissolve the sludge so that the biocide can kill the bacteria. A biocide (think of it as an antibiotic) is active for 30 to 45 days depending on the degree of contamination (infection).

I use Bell Perfomance - Bellicide (biocide) and Tank Treatment ACF (Sludge Surfactant) to clean and keep the fuel supply system trouble free. I also use the Lube Pro as a lubricity enhancer for the generator (of course the main engine benefits from it but doesn’t need).

BTW fuel polishing cleans the fuel but not the sludge. Your approach must include tank cleaning and bacterial prevention.
Correction: Tank Treatment SDF.

Tags
loss of power, power