Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2021, 07:19 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Lost Jack Plate

Well, I searched missing jack plate because I got back to my home site in the Everglades and immediately noticed the left rear jack plate missing. [Mod Edit] I immediately checked under the coach and my truck. There is no evidence of damage or markings where it must have hit something. It definitely was not left behind on my previous campsite (Pecan Park in JAX). My campsite before that was on gravel at Charlotte Motor Speedway on gravel. I use heavy duty Glulam Beams cut to 24" lengths when jacking to anything other than concrete.

The jack plate definitely came off in transit. Thanks to a search of iRV2 I found a thread from 2014 and see that it has happened before. I ordered a strap wrench. I have a 1/2" hex socket. I will use red locktite on the bolt. I will call Equalizer to see if there is a torque spec for the bolt. If they give me a torque spec I will post it here.

My point of this post is for everyone running with Equalizer Jacks to CHECK YOUR JACK BOLTS FOR TIGHTNESS!

I hope no one was injured when that thing let go.

The pictures of the missing jack plate are from the left rear jack. I posted a picture of the right rear jack plate intact with the Allen hex bolt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7020.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	230.3 KB
ID:	346409   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7019.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	456.0 KB
ID:	346410  

Name:	IMG_7017.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	617.7 KB
ID:	346411  
19Aspire44B is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2021, 12:01 PM   #2

I haven't checked the bot tightness but occasionally use a pole to "poke" at the jack plates and see if there is any indication of looseness.

'Thanks for the post!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:21 PM   #3
WDW

Lost Jack Plate

Yep, Lost one within 75 miles of home on a trip a couple of years ago. Got in the jeep once we landed and realized it and retraced our route. Unfortunately I never found it so I had to replace that and rubber pad. $150.00 ouch.

Itís now on the annual list of things that I have to check list.
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 12:47 PM   #4

Lippert sells them for around $75 each. Had to replace one that was badly bent due to previous owner.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:52 PM   #5

I ordered a replacement foot from etrailer.com
Price was good and shipping fast.
wolfgolden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 03:35 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Guess I was the odd man out. I discovered mine gone at home while doing my walk around for a long trip. Must have lost it at our last campground. But my bolt sheared off at the head. Since I couldn't get the coach up high enough to even try to use an ez-out bit I decided to let NIRVC do it. They tried everything but could not get the shaft of the bolt out. $2200 with labor to buy a new jack! I had bought a new plate so I've got it in my garage if anyone needs one.

My guess is I must have parked where the jack plate was on a ripple or even a rock that put enough pressure on it to snap off the head. I've since bought a set of jack pads to give them more cushion and check the ground better before parking and deploying the jacks.
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2021, 11:41 AM   #7

Gary

Ouchhhhhhhhhhhhh !! That would definitely hurt!!

Sorry to hear. Sure seems like that should never happen naturally. Would have been interesting to see how long the broken off bolt shaft still in the jack would be (if they could have gotten it out). I could understand a bolt that had almost fully loosened and backed out and then be broken off, but breaking off a fully inserted bolt should never break off in my thinking....

2200 bucks might just force me to get on the ground and check those bolts once a year or more.... -- Sorry to hear. Good thing you got lots of money....

Gary
Old 10-19-2021, 12:23 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I'm curious, to the OP, did you find the plates were a little wobbly even with the bolts tight? How about with your pole method Gary? Mine were, just slightly, even the new one.

Not our money, we have permission from our kids to spend their inheritance ;-)
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 05:52 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garysfb View Post
I'm curious, to the OP, did you find the plates were a little wobbly even with the bolts tight? How about with your pole method Gary? Mine were, just slightly, even the new one.

Not our money, we have permission from our kids to spend their inheritance ;-)

Yes, they are a little wobbly to allow for the plate to conform to slightly uneven terrain. If you look closely at the pictures of the missing plate in the original post, you will see that the shaft is slightly rounded to allow the plate to tilt. I confirmed this with equalizer. Note in the attached picture the concave attachment point on the plate to ride on the rounded piston.

They did not give me a torque spec in response to an email inquiry that I sent them but information from Equalizer's website said to use a 1/2" impact wrench to attach the new plate. I'm not sure an impact wrench will fit under the raised jack, even at ride height. They seem to not be able to answer the phone and a message left did not yield a return call.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7035.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	346607  
Old 10-20-2021, 05:56 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgolden View Post
I ordered a replacement foot from etrailer.com
Price was good and shipping fast.
Also to RV Wanderers. The jack plate on the Equalizer website is $61.11 plus shipping. I will check eTrailer and will call Entegra to get a price from them because they offer free shipping.

https://eqsystems.us/product/12x12-f...ith-bolt-7821/
Old 10-20-2021, 11:29 AM   #11

An impact hammer set to too much pressure or tightness might have been Gary's problem right from the start.... I've seen more than a couple bolt heads twisted right off by a too aggressive impact hammer/wrench used by someone who doesn't know how to use one!

If the picture above is the actual pad and bolt of our pads, 1.) it looks like it tightens with a hex key, 2.) the head is really big but the bolt shaft itself is fairly small, 3.) the pad is smaller and "flimsyier" than I would have guessed, and 4.) .... ?

Gary
Old 10-21-2021, 06:51 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
An impact hammer set to too much pressure or tightness might have been Gary's problem right from the start.... I've seen more than a couple bolt heads twisted right off by a too aggressive impact hammer/wrench used by someone who doesn't know how to use one!

If the picture above is the actual pad and bolt of our pads, 1.) it looks like it tightens with a hex key, 2.) the head is really big but the bolt shaft itself is fairly small, 3.) the pad is smaller and "flimsyier" than I would have guessed, and 4.) .... ?

Gary

I have left two messages for Equalizer to call me back with a torque spec. I guess just like everyone in the RV industry today, they are too busy and short-staffed to handle the workload or returning phone calls. I have attached a pdf file with the instructions for attaching the foot plate. Basically, it says to clean the threads of the piston (I'm going to use brake cleaner), apply blue thread lock to the bolt, and use an impact wrench with a 1/2" hex bit or allen socket to tighten the bolt after installing the plate. It also notes that the piston may rotate so I guess the strap wrench is unnecessary.

I agree with Gary on the over-torquing from an impact wrench. I have a Milwaukee cordless 1/2" impact with adjustable torque. I will adjust it down to 80 fl lbs and hope that is not too much. I will the use the impact to check the tightness of the remaining three foot plates. I am torn on whether or not to remove the bolts from the remaining foot plates, add the blue thread lock, and reinstall. I may just wait to see if any of them are loose and go from there.

I purchased the foot plate at RVUpgrades.com for $64.95 plus $10.99 for shipping. RVUpgrades.com was recommended to me by Entegra. Entegra told me the foot plate was on backorder from them and would be $106 with "free" shipping. Equalizer wanted $61.11 plus $44.06 for shipping.

Here is the link to the foot plate if anyone needs it:

https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Equal...olt-p/7821.htm

All things being "equal" , I am highly satisfied with the Equalizer Jack System on my Entegra. I had nothing but problems from Day 1 with the HWH jacks on my Tiffin Allegro Bus.

John
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jack Plate Replacement Instructions.pdf (371.7 KB, 2 views)