Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-26-2021, 04:07 PM   #1

Lousy Loves - Pilot Flying J EFS-TSD discount

I must be getting old.... I intended to start a new thread and wrote this comment as the first post in the new thread..... and then realized that I posted it as a comment on another completely different thread..... so I have copied my post to this new thread......
------------------------------------------------------------------

I started using truckstops last summer (I think it was) when I got my EFS/TSD fuel discount card and have used them almost exclusively since then (except in some upper midwestern states that had very few EFS priced stations).

Now, I remember, when EFS first appeared, Loves/Flying J would sell their diesel as part of the TSD program. Then GoodSams squawked that they had an exclusive paltry little discount arrangement with Loves/Flying J and stopped Loves from discounting their fuel beyond GoodSams 8 cents a gallon (was that the terrible discount??). Then with much fanfare, Loves started granting us motorcoach owners a universal 28 cent discount below their advertised pump prices. In my experience, that was about the same price I would pay for diesel at the independent or small car-oriented stations usually right across the street from the Loves location. For about the last year, I have usually been able to get 40 to 50 or more cents per gallon lower price from TA/Petro and so I have used TA/Petro almost exclusively and have bought many thousands of dollars of fuel from them.

Now, my question is this. As an old truckdriver, I would bet a lot of money that trucking companies are getting discounts at least as good as TA/Petro to their trucking companies at Loves/Flying J, and our universal 28 cent a gallon discount is probably roughly half of what their commercial trucking companies are getting. I would guess that this is true even though there are reportedly many thousands of Diesel motorcoach members of EFS/YSD. For a while that was due to their contractual relationship with GoodSams, but now my suspicion is simply that Loves/Flying J "caved" to the commercial trucking companies who complained that we motorcoach owners didn't deserve the commercial company discount and have now Loves/Flying J has limited their discount to us motorcoach owners to 28 cents per gallon but continue to discount commercial accounts much more deeply....

Anyone know the full situation and why we get such crappy discounts from Love's / Flying J????

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2021, 05:58 PM   #2

The GS contract issue is with Pilot /FJ as I understand it. Loves is a whole 'nother story. As they say.
I some how doubt the truckers are worrying about anything other than their own costs. & agreements.
If the TSD program including MHs upset truckers I would think TSD truckers would be more prone to complain.
There has been a lot of speculation about GS getting a much larger discount and picketing the difference between that and the measly pennies they extended to GS members. I dont know and have never seen anything credible just speculation...
To me its easy... vote with your feet, or wheels, I go where its most beneficial to ME balanced by ease of use, as I rarely bother with the smaller, slower stations and pumps just to gain a couple cents.
I used to frequent P/ FJ when I drove a gasser as their pricing was/is competitive but when we moved to a DP I changed my habits quickly and see little benefit to GS membership any longer.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 06:11 PM   #3

How do you get 28 cents off at Loves?
Motang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 06:31 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
I am curious as to what you find out.
Old 11-26-2021, 06:48 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I added additional fuel capacity to my truck and do not worry about fueling with the trailer. I'll go shop for fuel when we are parked using Gas Buddy. Fj and Pilot are a rip off. About 3 years ago in North Texas a FJ was 80 cents more than the Walmart within sight of each other.

Ken
Old 11-26-2021, 06:59 PM   #6

Good luck figuring any of this out. Flying J is based in TN so some of their shenanigans show up in our local news. Probably just a portion, but some. A few years back they were running some sort of discount scam, screwing some customers and IIRC, getting kickbacks from others. I think some of the execs got a little jail time but the owner/CEO skated. Purely coincidental but his brother was TN governor at the time....
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 07:08 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Love's never had a discount program with Good Sam. That was only Pilot/Flying J.

If you want to find out what's going on with TSD discounts I would suggest you give Joy Hanson, CFO, TSD Logistics a call at 800.426.7110
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:00 PM   #8

I was under the impression that Loves owned Pilot/Flying J..... Maybe Pilot and FJ are the same company but I thought that all of them were the same company.

Motang. You get 28 cents off the list price with all TSD and TSD fuel programs at Loves. TSD operates through the EFS professional fuel discount program. You apply for a TSD card, I set up a separate checking account which is debited by EFS/TSD upon purchase. The TSD fuel app on my phone (Open Roads) says at the top.... All Loves stations offer 28 cent discount or some wording like that.

Since I usually get 50 or more cent discount from list at TA/Petro, I always use them unless there are no stations where I happen to need diesel.

The program is only for diesel and not gasoline, but there is a lot of information up here on the forum. Enter TSD fuel discount or EFS in the search box at the top of the page and you will find all you want to read. If you still have questions, PM me.

It has saved me a pile of money over the past couple of years.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:09 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Tiffin Owners Club
For quite a while, Loves dropped their discount to $.16 per gallon but the last couple of times I filled up there it was back up to $.28 per.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 08:12 PM   #10

I have had my TSD card for almost a year. I think I have only used it one time at an in-network station. I know my answer does not directly answer your question, but it is how I use my card.

I can often find better prices by at least $0.30/gallon at local commercial stations. I still use my TSD card since I can activate the pumps without going in, use both nozzles and actually fill my tank. I also get a nice receipt in my email. Total cost above fuel for this "service" is $1.65.

In one of my previous posts I listed exact prices, but at my last fill up I saved $172 over the list price as the in-network station vs the one I filled at. I saved $102 vs what I would have paid with the TSD discount at the in-network station.
Nwcid is offline   Reply With Quote