Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2018, 07:54 AM   #1
OWV

Macerator Hose

We just picked up a new Anthem, which unlike our 2014 has a macerator to empty the gray and black tanks. The pump works fine, but how do I empty the hose after the tanks are drained. The owner's manual says not to run the pump after the tanks are empty, but the hose is still full. How do owners flush out the hose?

Regards,
2019 & 2014 Anthems
OWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2018, 08:45 AM   #2

Empty black first...then wash it out as you empty gray. If hooked up to water, you can partially fill your tanks again and flush through...but always empty gray last.
Funding Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OWV View Post
We just picked up a new Anthem, which unlike our 2014 has a macerator to empty the gray and black tanks. The pump works fine, but how do I empty the hose after the tanks are drained. The owner's manual says not to run the pump after the tanks are empty, but the hose is still full. How do owners flush out the hose?

Regards,

The hose has a vapor lock on it and the low spot holds the water in the hose. Some folks have changed the plumbing and routed the waste underneath the wet bay instead of up and out the hose storage bin. We haven’t done that yet but plan to. In the meantime if you leave the grey water valve open while you walk the water out of the hose you will get most of it out. Just takes a little patience.
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 09:48 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
The only solution I have found to empty the hose is to fully extend the hose and "walk it down" to the drrain You may have to do this several times to break the vacuum.

I am looking for a modification that will provide a clear section in the hose and a valve or method to break the vacuum to drain the hose. I tried leaving the gray water tank valve open but that didn't seem to make any difference. Still experimenting.
dcphil_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:46 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
As suggested, leaving the gray tank open after the final rinse helps a bit. Walking the water out makes for an amusing dance for the neighbors I'm sure.

I have found that starting about 1/3 of the way from the drain pipe and getting that part empty (And yes it immediately refills from the back 2/3's) helps break the vacuum. Or at least the rest then empties easier. Seems like this process sometimes only results in two dances plus one to verify empty.

Not the best process ever.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:29 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
The slinky is sounding better every time one of these posts come up. I'll try the macerator on the new coach, but I am beginning to have my doubts.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 04:01 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Chuck:

The system that I have on my coach, which is what you will have, is the most efficient and cleanest system I have used. I extend the hose and put the "wand" on the sewer. More times than not the wand threads into the opening for a tight fit--no rocks required. I start the black tank flush, open the electric valve and turn on the macerator. About one minute later I shut off the macerator, close the electric black valve, open the electric gray valve and start the macerator. Minutes later I close or shut off everything including the black flush. I drain (walk down) the hose and store it. That's it. Done in about five minutes and all very clean with a few gallons left in the black tank.

I know you (and Gary) have been around the block a few times and you got off to a terrible start with the previous coach, but I think that overall you will be pleased with the new coach and enjoy the new features. Don't let some of our grumbling distract you.
dcphil_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 08:07 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I agree that I like the macerator better than the slinky. I was simply pointing out the process to empty the hose. It's definitely different but the process is clean and efficient. The walk/dance is just a different step!
Old 06-01-2018, 10:12 PM   #9

Chuck

Once you use the Sani Con I'd be willing to bet that you'll stay with it. Fast, clean, and efficient. I use banjo fittings on the end of the hose and the nozzle. Makes attaching the nozzle to the campground sewer connection easier, allows you to thread the hose through the port in the bottom of the hose housing with less difficulty and makes for easier storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180216_154033 (1).jpg
Views:	185
Size:	485.2 KB
ID:	205249  
2020 Chevy Tahoe, etrailer XHD 10500 tow bar, Demco SMI AirForce 1.
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:13 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks all for your encouragement. Dan I saved your hose mod picture for the connections needed as I had planned to do the same thing if the macerator is used.

I wonder how many others from reading all the problem macerator posts have said "why bother?" I can't remember the last time I saw a post about a problem with a slinky outside of where to store the hose. I think I made that post in 2014 when the factory storage tube would not hold a standard slinky.
Old 06-02-2018, 05:27 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
After getting down and reaching to screw on the slinky and then take it off you will learn to love the macerator hose. Only problem is if that hose is not long enough. I have an adapter that goes from macerator to slinky for long reach but don’t know how to post picture. If someone wants to post pictures of it I could email them the pictures.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:40 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
After getting down and reaching to screw on the slinky and then take it off you will learn to love the macerator hose. Only problem is if that hose is not long enough. I have an adapter that goes from macerator to slinky for long reach but don’t know how to post picture. If someone wants to post pictures of it I could email them the pictures.
Already had the extension planned.
I just purchase a 50 ft 3/4 inch hose for another project that had to be cut. 20 bucks at Harbor Fright and it is of good quality https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...&q=garden+hose
I have more than 1/2 of the hose left for the extension hose that will store easy.
If you want to PM me your email, I'll be happy to post the photo for you. Always looking for helpful ideas.
Old 06-02-2018, 07:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeg View Post
Chuck

Once you use the Sani Con I'd be willing to bet that you'll stay with it. Fast, clean, and efficient. I use banjo fittings on the end of the hose and the nozzle. Makes attaching the nozzle to the campground sewer connection easier, allows you to thread the hose through the port in the bottom of the hose housing with less difficulty and makes for easier storage.

You have a parts list and where you can obtain them at? That looks like a really nice set up and much easier than what the factory provides (which is still easier and cleaner than the slinky)
dmm588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 08:14 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Already had the extension planned.
I just purchase a 50 ft 3/4 inch hose for another project that had to be cut. 20 bucks at Harbor Fright and it is of good quality https://www.harborfreight.com/catalo...&q=garden+hose
I have more than 1/2 of the hose left for the extension hose that will store easy.
If you want to PM me your email, I'll be happy to post the photo for you. Always looking for helpful ideas.

I have the 3/4” hose for use with my dump at home. Works great. The slinky is better for travel. Will send email address.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace