Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2021, 03:48 AM   #29

West Marine has every macerator part you need. May want to check there.
Poppedclams is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2021, 06:23 AM   #30

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfrommaine View Post
Sorry to hear about your bath!
I think a word of advice on macerators might be in order.
A macerator pump is a dc motor driving a metal chopper (like the chopper on a meat grinder) and on the same shaft a rubber (or nitrile or similar) impellor, usually 4 or 5 flexible blades that rub on the inside of the brass pump housing.
These pumps are very (!!!!!) robust, in the marine world they run whenever the engine runs and they typically last several seasons, up to perhaps a thousand hours.
But, THEY MUST NOT BE RUN DRY.
The rubber impellor will melt and the small blades will break or fall off.
Outboard motors use similar impellors to pump cooling water through the powerhead and quite often people will start the outboard without water and within seconds damage the impellor.
So to all who use the macerator pump; listen to the pump, when the tank becomes empty the pump noise will change and you should immediately shut off the pump!
Not all macerator pumps are the same, but most that I've seen on RV's are of the rubber impellor type. It is a great system and I've had a portable macerator pump which I've used for 20 years on the original impellor.
Bob '14 Winnebago 37F Adventurer; Jeep toad.
Great post and excellent advise for those that tend to walk away and do other things or try to squeeze every last drop out of the tank. A good reminder for me as well.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:12 AM   #31

Chuck

I had a 40' sailboat for about 25 years and I am quite familiar with the macerators that you are talking about.

Now, I did not do the actual change on my first macerator pump in this motorcoach, but I visited the young fellow that was going the repair several times and he showed me the parts that he was working on as he was going it, and my memory is that the macerator pump in my and your coach was VERY different from the standard marine macerator I had on my sailboat. Jeannie has done the actual repair on one of our macerators so I hope that she comes along here and can add to this thread. My memory is that the macerator in our coaches does not have a rubber blades that you describe but instead had something I have never seen before. What I thought my macerator had was a triangular shaped blade that sort of looked like a child's top that you spin from a wound up string, but the blade had groves in the side that seemed to channel the liquid and solids as it spun and then channel the contents in the grooves out through the output pipes with force. I don't remember anything that would destruct with dry running. Again, I might be wrong on this and I am going to have to try to fix my macerator myself in a few weeks, or pay another bunch of money to have it changed for me, but I can assure you that I never let my macerator run without liquid being in the system. I always stand right there as it dumps and listen for that change in pitch of the motor running and stop the macerator as soon as the flow stops.

Mine is not working presently and failed on this 3 month trip about a month ago. The motor is spinning and my assumption is that the "top" shaped propeller/impeller has either fouled or fallen off.

Again, Jeannie has done the repair herself, so hopefully she will come along and correct my memory or fill us in on how things are in that unit. (I bought the while plastic basin and motor unit for about $500)

someone help me out here.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:29 AM   #32

There is a seal lubricant on the market that reconditions those seals, if you never used it, I'd try it.
inthepines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 10:35 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, that point was mentioned as so many have walked away while back flushing their tanks, they might be walking away while the tank is being pumped. As temperamental as these macerators seem to be, why even take the chance? I know I won't be and I just might stick with the 3 in slinky as my setup is no more of a problem than the macerator to empty the tanks and a heck of lot less repair work. Long runs I'll use the macerator, a short run and quick dumps, the slinky works just fine for my needs. Both are there for people to choose, I choose less repair work.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 01:40 PM   #34

Personally I love using a macerator, over the traditional means of draining the tanks. BUT it took four impeller changes (in less than 4 months) before I finally convinced my wife to be triple sure that nothing "foreign” goes down the sinks or toilet (broken glass, broken plastic, handi wipe, and a forth item I could not identify). It has been 6 years since she started doing so and the macerator has been problem free.
pokgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 04:41 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Have been on the road a little short of three months at this point, and about a month ago, my macerator system failed to pump out the tanks. I can hear the motor running but it does virtually no pumping so either the impeller (as I remember, it is triangular shaped with channels in the sides to cause the flow) is now fouled with something or the "impeller" has fallen off the shaft, but in any case, that is a repair I will tackle when I get home.

So, for the past month I have been using the "stinky-slinky" alternative system and there are parts of that system I like a lot, and parts that I hate a lot. First, for the good. The system sure purges the black and gray tanks a whole lot quicker than the macerator system does.... 80% full.... no problem.... pull the gray valve and in ~ 30 seconds, the tank is empty. Wonderful !!

Now for the not so nice part. Although I obviously keep both black and gray valves closed when not dumping, it is clear that one or both of the valves do not seal fully (probably both but definitely the black tank valve). Second, to get the cap off that connection through the basement floor, I seemingly need to lay down beside the wet bay to get enough leverage to remove the cap. However, then the worst part happens.... as soon as the cap is removed, my arm and one side of my prone body is drenched with accumulated leakage from my black and gray tank valves as a couple quarts worth of "liquid" splashes out. Definitely not a pleasant experience! -- I may just cut the cap off the retaining cord and let any residual valve leakage drop onto the road as a short term "fix", but I am tired of taking showers after I set up the stinky-slinky system.... because now I, and my clothes, smell

Now I have a new appreciation of the Sanicon macerator system !!!! -- --

I live and learn....

Gary
What is a (Stinky-Slinky) (3) System??? I have never herd of it, Please enlighten me. Thanks Joep.
Joephome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2021, 05:24 PM   #36

Joep

It is the term (slang name) that I have heard used for the three inch diameter standard sewer drain connection that you find on 97% of all "campers" (those that don't have a macerator system.

Big corrugated plastic pipe line that you dump the contents of your gray and black tank via.

Here is a link https://www.campingworld.com/rhinofl...%2Fsewer-hoses

Gary
Old 10-26-2021, 06:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Joep

It is the term (slang name) that I have heard used for the three inch diameter standard sewer drain connection that you find on 97% of all "campers" (those that don't have a macerator system.

Big corrugated plastic pipe line that you dump the contents of your gray and black tank via.

Here is a link https://www.campingworld.com/rhinofl...%2Fsewer-hoses

Gary
Thanks for the info, thought that's what it meant. Standard 3" drain hose, in all of my years camping and RV'ing never heard the expression. In the sanitation bay of my Monaco coach I have a 3" clear plastic back flush connector, to that I can connect my Macerator pump or 3" Stinky-Slinky . While traveling I remove the Macerator and install a cap with a standard hose port so i can at a
glance and leaks or??

Joephome
2006 Monaco 37" Smoke'n Diesel Pusher
Simi Valley, Ca.
Old 10-26-2021, 06:56 PM   #38

My rig has a gray water macerator pump that pumps the gray water over the axle to the main drain outlet. I learned something about it last month that may be of interest to others. The way my pump is situated, the pickup is about 6 inches above the bottom of the tank and apparently there needs to be about 1/3rd of a tank of gray water or it won't pick up a prime if it has sat for awhile. I found this out at an overnight stop when I tried to empty it in the AM with just a few gallons of shower water in it and I thought the pump was a goner, it still ran but no water came out. The pump had not been used for several months prior to this, and the low point drain had been emptied. I emptied the tank with my gravity drain mod that I had done last summer in anticipation of an eventual failure but when I got home I filled the tank with water and a deodorizer treatment, this time the pump worked immediately so the only answer is that the level was so low and the pump was dry and couldn't pick it up. So just a thought if your pump doesn't want to pump water try adding more to the tank.
Old 10-26-2021, 08:28 PM   #39

Joep

I had never seen one of those end fittings you talk about, but one of the owners that posted above in this thread posted a picture of the fitting. If I continue to use this 3" slinky (its the only name I have ever heard used as a slang term in the ~ 8 years I have been motorcoaching) I am going to come up with something that works better than what I have now..... and that cap might be a good first step.

Gary
Old 10-27-2021, 09:09 AM   #40

Quote:
Chuck

I had a 40' sailboat for about 25 years and I am quite familiar with the macerators that you are talking about.

Now, I did not do the actual change on my first macerator pump in this motorcoach, but I visited the young fellow that was going the repair several times and he showed me the parts that he was working on as he was going it, and my memory is that the macerator pump in my and your coach was VERY different from the standard marine macerator I had on my sailboat. Jeannie has done the actual repair on one of our macerators so I hope that she comes along here and can add to this thread. My memory is that the macerator in our coaches does not have a rubber blades that you describe but instead had something I have never seen before. What I thought my macerator had was a triangular shaped blade that sort of looked like a child's top that you spin from a wound up string, but the blade had groves in the side that seemed to channel the liquid and solids as it spun and then channel the contents in the grooves out through the output pipes with force. I don't remember anything that would destruct with dry running. Again, I might be wrong on this and I am going to have to try to fix my macerator myself in a few weeks, or pay another bunch of money to have it changed for me, but I can assure you that I never let my macerator run without liquid being in the system. I always stand right there as it dumps and listen for that change in pitch of the motor running and stop the macerator as soon as the flow stops.

Mine is not working presently and failed on this 3 month trip about a month ago. The motor is spinning and my assumption is that the "top" shaped propeller/impeller has either fouled or fallen off.

Again, Jeannie has done the repair herself, so hopefully she will come along and correct my memory or fill us in on how things are in that unit. (I bought the while plastic basin and motor unit for about $500)

someone help me out here.

Gary
Gary, post #15 on the linked thread below shows the blades. I believe its as you have described. I changed out the entire motor, reusing the existing housing but another member took the motor out and fixed his.

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/mac...un-505748.html
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 04:01 PM   #41

Quote:
Joephome

I had never seen one of those end fittings you talk about, but one of the owners that posted above in this thread posted a picture of the fitting. If I continue to use this 3" slinky (its the only name I have ever heard used as a slang term in the ~ 8 years I have been motorcoaching) I am going to come up with something that works better than what I have now..... and that cap might be a good first step.

Gary
There is a picture posted #17 on this thread. The Cap than can be purchased at almost any RV parts store, Walmart, Lowes etc. You can even go a little further and attach a shut off valve to the hose fitting on the cap.......on and on Good Luck and Enjoy your Travel's

Joephome

Tags
ace, macerator