Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2021, 11:10 AM   #1

Macerator system gone again .... Dang!

Have been on the road a little short of three months at this point, and about a month ago, my macerator system failed to pump out the tanks. I can hear the motor running but it does virtually no pumping so either the impeller (as I remember, it is triangular shaped with channels in the sides to cause the flow) is now fouled with something or the "impeller" has fallen off the shaft, but in any case, that is a repair I will tackle when I get home.

So, for the past month I have been using the "stinky-slinky" alternative system and there are parts of that system I like a lot, and parts that I hate a lot. First, for the good. The system sure purges the black and gray tanks a whole lot quicker than the macerator system does.... 80% full.... no problem.... pull the gray valve and in ~ 30 seconds, the tank is empty. Wonderful !!

Now for the not so nice part. Although I obviously keep both black and gray valves closed when not dumping, it is clear that one or both of the valves do not seal fully (probably both but definitely the black tank valve). Second, to get the cap off that connection through the basement floor, I seemingly need to lay down beside the wet bay to get enough leverage to remove the cap. However, then the worst part happens.... as soon as the cap is removed, my arm and one side of my prone body is drenched with accumulated leakage from my black and gray tank valves as a couple quarts worth of "liquid" splashes out. Definitely not a pleasant experience! -- I may just cut the cap off the retaining cord and let any residual valve leakage drop onto the road as a short term "fix", but I am tired of taking showers after I set up the stinky-slinky system.... because now I, and my clothes, smell

Now I have a new appreciation of the Sanicon macerator system !!!! -- --

I live and learn....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2021, 11:17 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I keep a 90 degree clear elbow on the black tank connection under the coach. I can reach in to connect by feel so if there is a leak I am not getting soaked and it is much easier to connect the hose. It sits plenty high enough for traveling, the aqua hot exhaust sits lower.

I dump the gray tank often as I store the coach with a dehumidifier running 24/7 that drains into the kitchen sink. It's an easy connection with the elbow in place and can be done by feel.

If the macerators are that sensitive the slinky may continue to be my go to dump method.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:20 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Have been on the road a little short of three months at this point, and about a month ago, my macerator system failed to pump out the tanks. I can hear the motor running but it does virtually no pumping so either the impeller (as I remember, it is triangular shaped with channels in the sides to cause the flow) is now fouled with something or the "impeller" has fallen off the shaft, but in any case, that is a repair I will tackle when I get home.

So, for the past month I have been using the "stinky-slinky" alternative system and there are parts of that system I like a lot, and parts that I hate a lot. First, for the good. The system sure purges the black and gray tanks a whole lot quicker than the macerator system does.... 80% full.... no problem.... pull the gray valve and in ~ 30 seconds, the tank is empty. Wonderful !!

Now for the not so nice part. Although I obviously keep both black and gray valves closed when not dumping, it is clear that one or both of the valves do not seal fully (probably both but definitely the black tank valve). Second, to get the cap off that connection through the basement floor, I seemingly need to lay down beside the wet bay to get enough leverage to remove the cap. However, then the worst part happens.... as soon as the cap is removed, my arm and one side of my prone body is drenched with accumulated leakage from my black and gray tank valves as a couple quarts worth of "liquid" splashes out. Definitely not a pleasant experience! -- I may just cut the cap off the retaining cord and let any residual valve leakage drop onto the road as a short term "fix", but I am tired of taking showers after I set up the stinky-slinky system.... because now I, and my clothes, smell

Now I have a new appreciation of the Sanicon macerator system !!!! -- --

I live and learn....

Gary
Gary, don’t you have the third shutoff valve (manual) after the macerator and the black and grey electric valves? If you’re getting leakage out the cap both the electric and manual valve would have to be leaking unless you’re leaving the manual valve open all the time. In which case I would also close it to keep from getting wet.
J Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:53 AM   #4

Jerry

Ahhhhhhhh, you may be onto something !!

I have virtually never previously used the "Stinky - Slinky" 3" system as the macerator, while slow, is certainly my preferred way to dump tanks.

So I'm not intimately familiar with the slinky bypass system....

But now that you have mentioned it, you are exactly right.... I have been leaving the bypass valve open, so it is definitely letting any leakage pass right on through to the cap.... Never gave that a thought once I opened it to use the slinky system. I will definitely try closing that bypass also.... That will probably resolve the getting soaked problem.

Chuck.... I am aware of your system also and I think that NowABeachBum (Gary) extended his slinky dump pipe fitting on the bottom so that the new piping comes right out flush with the side of the coach. I was unsure of how I would support either a 90 degree or Gary's extension system so just didn't follow that option any further. The macerator sure is nice when it is working, but costs $400-~ $1,000 as soon as it breaks down. Dee and I don't travel with kids or grandkids and we we have done virtually no in-coach socializing due to COVID so we are VERY careful of anything that goes into the sewer system so I don't think it can be a wipe or rag or anything like that but is going to be an exploration session when we get home.

Jerry.... as is my habit, when someone gives me a really useful piece of information, you have at least three fingers of your favorite type of booze from my liquor closet when we are next in the same place at the same time... Chuck, your libation remains in my closet. Why don't you travel to Quartzsite?

Gary
Old 10-16-2021, 12:05 PM   #5

My macerator quit so I replaced it with a garbage disposal. U-tube has the directions for the procedure. Problem solved.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:23 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Gary, the 90 degree is short and is very ridget when connected. Walmart for a couple of dollars. Nothing to modify, connect it and forget it. NIRVC even had one in the wet bay with my last coach delivery.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
My macerator quit so I replaced it with a garbage disposal. U-tube has the directions for the procedure. Problem solved.
If you need a garbage disposal for the above mod I have a couple of older spare ones I have removed from apartments when I remodeled and upgraded them. They're yours if you can come pick them up in Lansing Michigan. I can pretty much guarantee they have not see the above-mentioned use but you can never tell with tenants do.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeTheWay View Post
Doesn't a garbage disposal (in-sink macerator) rely on gravity to drain .
Old 10-16-2021, 12:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Jerry

Ahhhhhhhh, you may be onto something !!

I have virtually never previously used the "Stinky - Slinky" 3" system as the macerator, while slow, is certainly my preferred way to dump tanks.

So I'm not intimately familiar with the slinky bypass system....

But now that you have mentioned it, you are exactly right.... I have been leaving the bypass valve open, so it is definitely letting any leakage pass right on through to the cap.... Never gave that a thought once I opened it to use the slinky system. I will definitely try closing that bypass also.... That will probably resolve the getting soaked problem.

Chuck.... I am aware of your system also and I think that NowABeachBum (Gary) extended his slinky dump pipe fitting on the bottom so that the new piping comes right out flush with the side of the coach. I was unsure of how I would support either a 90 degree or Gary's extension system so just didn't follow that option any further. The macerator sure is nice when it is working, but costs $400-~ $1,000 as soon as it breaks down. Dee and I don't travel with kids or grandkids and we we have done virtually no in-coach socializing due to COVID so we are VERY careful of anything that goes into the sewer system so I don't think it can be a wipe or rag or anything like that but is going to be an exploration session when we get home.

Jerry.... as is my habit, when someone gives me a really useful piece of information, you have at least three fingers of your favorite type of booze from my liquor closet when we are next in the same place at the same time... Chuck, your libation remains in my closet. Why don't you travel to Quartzsite?

Gary
Gary, here’s what I did for the macerator. Ran it straight out of the macerator, over and down through the floor, over and just behind the door where the bottom curved part is. You can’t see it unless the hose is hooked up.
That little blue handle is a 3/4 inch ball valve that I open momentarily to let air into the line after draining tanks and before unhooking hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	509DA3E4-5071-47B0-8330-AE0CC01475E4.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	259.9 KB
ID:	346261   Click image for larger version

Name:	748AB014-3B5F-465C-B57D-D1867EC97362.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	346262  

Click image for larger version

Name:	785EC634-8B2C-4ED2-A465-CF9A4BD58A0F.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	346263   Click image for larger version

Name:	6FAEEDD7-8492-4251-B825-F0A2A1DE5DD8.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	190.3 KB
ID:	346264  

J Gunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 12:46 PM   #10

Arcaguy

The macerator I am referring to is the one that pumps contents from the black tank through 30' of hose to the sewage dump fitting. Different beast!

Gary
Old 10-16-2021, 04:15 PM   #11

Thanks for the great laugh. I have been drenched by motor oil and transmission fluid but never have been as lucky as you.

Until you get fixed how about a bucket under valve, then take a stick and pop the cover off at a distance, or am I missing something.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:02 AM   #12

Chuck

I have been afraid to put anything more under the basement floor for fear of breaking off the plastic fitting (the permanent dog-eared plastic fitting) that is there on the underside of the stinky-slinky system. I know the AquaHot exhaust is lower and the sewer is located right in front of the drive axe so not likely to be a problem in any situation other than road debris going under the coach (when I can't see it or avoid it...).

But maybe I'll give that some thought.

TurboJack: The "ears" on the cap on the bottom fitting are not all that long and easy to get to. That actually is sort of what I do with a screwdriver. My grip, unless lying down, is weak enough that I can't crack the seal of the cap, and so I lie down and use a large screwdriver with the blade against one of those protrusion on the cap which I hit with my other hand to break the counterclockwise seal and then I get the gush of liquid.

Always happy to introduce some levity to the forum....

Gary
Old 10-17-2021, 10:24 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Gary,
Have you tried lubricating the inside of the cap so it will turn easier? Maybe a little Vaseline or white lithium grease would help. Just a thought.
Old 10-17-2021, 10:57 AM   #14

I'll also give that a try.

Gary

Tags
ace, macerator