Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2020, 02:54 AM   #1

Magna Shades and pacemakers.

We are considering getting Magna Shades for our front and drivers side window when we get our new coach but see there is a warning about the magnets and pace maker wearers. Has anyone that have a pace maker have Magna Shades installed and if so have you had any problems with the magnets causing problems while installing them ? I know that I will have to ask my cardiologist before buying them but thought I would ask some actual users. Thank you for your responses.
hpykmpr47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2020, 03:12 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
WOW - - - this would be a worry.

I do not have a pace maker but do have Magne Shades.

I can tell you this - the magnets are very, very strong. So strong, it is recommended not to let bare magnets touch each other - which has happened to me and it is difficult to get them apart. This is mainly in the initial installation getting the magnets in the proper location for the shade.

Once installed, the bare magnets are on the window and embedded the shade....

I am not sure how close a magnet has to be to a pace maker before it causes harm, but when installing the shade, magnets can come fairly close to your body.

Also, when sitting in your motor home, the magnets on the side windows can be within less than n 5 feet.

With all this said, they do work great bit I'd be checking with your cardiologist.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you and someone with a pace maker responds to this post.

g
Old 06-04-2020, 05:22 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have had Magneshades for 5 years and like them very much. But with a pacemaker it might not be a good idea. Even if you got someone else to do the initial installation of the magnets on the inside of the glass there is a problem with putting up and taking down and putting away. I can’t don’t think I have ever gone through them process to put them up and take down without the magnets in the shade coming close to my chest.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:08 AM   #4

This sounds like just the sort of question that needs to be directed at the manufacturers of the MagneShades.... They are easily accessible on the phone and VERY responsive any time I have needed to talk to them.

I have found that there are some techniques that make installing the magnets on the inside of the windows that makes it relatively a breeze to install them initially, but as others have said, those magnets are VERY strong "rare earth magnets". The easy way around the worst part of it would be to make a trip to North Carolina and have the factory do the install for you. I know they do it. I think that they also will install at any rally if ordered in advance.

Now, the magnets in the outside shades are relatively much easier to deal with, and a wife could easily put them up with a little help from you using some sticks or aluminum rods to keep your end of the shades away from you when assisting installing them. They are a breeze to install. They are a breeze to remove, but if any accidental contact with any of the magnets is the real issue for your pacemaker, I would think that the other type of shades that either "snap" onto pre-placed snaps, or those types of eyes that are oblong and have a pin that goes through the oblong catch and you twist the pin 25 degrees to lock it into place would remove any possible harm. You would need to make small drill homes in the fiberglass to anchor the snaps but you would avoid any need for magnets.

I'd call Magne-Shade and see what they tell you.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:45 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post

I'd call Magne-Shade and see what they tell you.

Gary
According to the OP they have already printed a warning about the magnets and pace maker wearers. So do you really think they will tell you on the phone that it's okay to use with pace makers?
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 07:53 AM   #6

You never know until you call.... and why wouldnt you?? I always believe in talking to the people most involved... The warning came from their lawyer. Might represent their opinion, but not necessarily.

Gary
Old 06-04-2020, 08:48 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don't have a pace maker but did read somewhere (I don't recall where)if you have one..... Someone else without a pacemaker needs to handle them at all times. Initial install, putting shades on, taking them off and storing.
2019 Club Car Onward
Hurleys RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:50 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Why tempt fate? They are not that important.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 08:56 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
As I recall their warning is actually broader than just a pacemaker. I think they warn against using them if you have any sort of metal implants. I have two stents and choose not to use the Magna Shades because of that. It would really suck if my last thoughts as I bled out internally were "darn, I guess the folks at Magna Shade were right"
Old 06-04-2020, 11:09 AM   #10

I have a pacemaker. That's why we do not have a Magna Shade.
azbuzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:19 AM   #11

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If your still fit enough to climb a stepladder, may want to look at shades that snap on instead.
Old 06-05-2020, 07:48 AM   #12

Well, as it turns out, I have Magne Shades (we installed last Saturday) and I also have had a pacemaker for the past 3 years. Here are my comments:

1. This is my 3rd set of Magne Shades and they are excellent (2008 American Eagle, 2011 Essex & now our 2020 Anthem). I never experienced any pacemaker problems from the shades while in use (2008 Eagle was pre-pacemaker).
2. A friend of mine installed the shades on our Essex. I helped a bit, but was very cautious and stayed away from the "inside" magnets during the install.
3. Our plan was to go to NC in May and have the factory install this set on the Anthem, but the virus scrubbed all of those plans.
4. Last Saturday, my son & wife did the install on the Anthem. Again, I assisted a bit and held the outside shades but did my best to not get close to the super-strong inside magnets. What happened, was that I got really tired and actually had to sit down and take a rest. I was pooped (see below)!
5. Yesterday was my regular appointment with my cardiologist and also time for my annual pacemaker calibration with the tech from Medtronics. I explained the shade install and that I had gotten super "tired." They said that when the pacemaker (at least mine, yours may be different) when it detects strong magnet forces, automatically shifts my heart rate up to 85 BPM (mine is typically in the low 60's). They said if it was for just a few minutes I would likely not have noticed anything at all. Because I was "around" the magnets for 1.5-2.0 hours, it was like I was running at 85 BPM. Even though my lungs were normal & I wasn't breathing heavy it's sort of like my heart thought I was jogging for a few hours, so I got really tired. They said it was not a problem at all, I did not hurt myself in any way and that there was no damage at all to the pacemaker.

Hope that helps and feel free to PM me if you have further questions. Good luck & enjoy the shades!
neilnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:55 AM   #13
YC1

I believe a stent is non-ferrous. That is, a magnet is not attracted to the metal.

I have a monster rare earth magnet used in pulling wires down the insides of walls. IF you get the piece that goes in the wall the the roller that is used outside close together you better hope your fingers are not in between. It is incredibly difficult to pull the magnets apart if they get together.

I have two stents and never give it a thought.

As for the pace makers. They are really bullet proof and have been tested in incredible situations. Working in the RF industry my dear friend was around powerful transmitters every day and magnets as well. He never experienced any difficulties.

Personally, with two stents of my own I would no hesitate to buy the shades.

YC1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 08:02 AM   #14

Neil

Thanks for that insider information. That is very interesting.

The magnets that are applied to the inside of the windows with the Magneshades are VERY strong..... VERY strong. You get two of them stuck together and you almost cannot get them apart.... I found that you need to slide them apart and that works better but you were wise to stay away from the mounting process for the inside magnets. It sounds to the extent possible, you do need to stay away from the installation process.... my wife could do ours if she needed to and I could assist (I dont have a pacemaker so it is not an issue for me).

Neil, a minor aside.... did your cardiologist people tell you that your pacemaker goes back into "normal" mode as soon as it doesn't detect the presence of a strong magnetic field still present?

Those inside magnets are really really strong magnets. I wonder if there is any residual effects from the toll window magnets when you are driving. Have you ever noticed any issue when driving?

Gary

Tags
ace