Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2017, 07:43 PM   #1

Magnum energy high AC volts fault

I 've seen other posts with similar messages but with no resolution. Looking for what I'm overlooking.

Coach has been in storage for several weeks. All systems were fine last week when I ran the cummins and onan for 1 hour to make sure batteries were topped off. Been sitting there locked up until I dropped by today to load supplies to leave Thursday. First thing inside the door I notice a red fault light on one of the Magnum panels (forward one). Message reads "AC volts high" The coach has been sitting undisturbed, not plugged in, all breakers off, 12V master switch off and chassis battery breaker off. Nothing is plugged in or turned on....

House batteries appear to be at 12.0 volts. Generator started no problem and ran for 30 minutes. Red fault light on the one Magnum panel is still on saying AC volts high. Tried turning breakers for the inverters on and no change.

I'll be on the phone with CS and Magnum in the morning I guess...

In the meantime, any ideas of what to look for. I just hate it when I walk away from the coach knowing everyting is working fine only to return and find something like this Would love to catch one of the gremlins that mess with things when you are not around..
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2017, 07:55 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I believe there are a couple of circuit breakers on the inverter in the basement. You might try resetting them
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:57 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Remove all incoming AC power from that inverter for at least 15 minutes and the fault should reset. Do this by turning off the inverter breaker in the left breaker panel above the drivers seat for the affected inverter.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:09 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the reset procedure Don.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:13 PM   #5

Thanks don for the info!

I did learn the AC volts high code is in reference to incoming 120 volts.

Which makes my whole scenario really odd. The coach was sitting in storage lot, not plugged in. There was no incoming power! All breakers were off as well as 12 volt master switch.

No one can explain how the fault for high incoming AC volts set when there was no incoming power. The coach was sitting, unplugged with everything turned off.

The fault did clear when I started the generator an powered the inverter via the breaker on the shore power side of the breaker panel.

How the fault happened is inexplicable aside from the usual "just a glitch". The glitch would have killed the house batteries if i hadn't caught it when I did by unexpectedly stopping by the coach.

Everything seems fine now....but I have a hard time accepting the random glitch explaination. I'll monitor the situation and see if it reoccurs.........
Old 06-01-2017, 10:03 AM   #6

More than just a one time glitch apparently. Wen back to the coach yesterday and the LH Magnum panel was lit up and showing the "AC volts High" trouble code and the inverter was disabled.

Remember, the coach is NOT plugged in and no source of auxilary power existant. Don't know how the Magnum inverter is seeing high AC volts with every switch and breaker off and no power to the cord.......
Old 06-03-2017, 05:30 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Al, have you tired the reset button on the inverter itself? If that doesn't work, It might be a call to Magnum for troubleshooting. Let us know what you find.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 09:55 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Al,

Are you doing anything different when you shut everything down for storage that might be causing this?

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 10:17 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
Coach has been in storage for several weeks. All systems were fine last week when I ran the cummins and onan for 1 hour to make sure batteries were topped off.
Why are you running the main engine? I asked Cummins about it some time ago and got this answer:
Quote:
"Deen this is a very good question. From the perspective of the Cummins engine it is good to do either one of two things:

1) Start the engine and drive it or 2) do not start the engine.

Our engines do not gain anything by idling. In fact a diesel engine on low idle will not ever get up to operating temperatures which is bad for the engine and can cause an increase in soot production.

The other side of the story is that starting the engine and letting it idle is probably good for other things like air brakes, heating and cooling, etc. So probably the best answer to try to get both worlds to meet is to occasionally take the unit out for a drive during times of prolonged storage."
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #10

Not that I know of. I have a check list on a sticky note for shut down because I worried about things like...... I actually went thru several shutdowns to see if I could repeat the problem. Including shutting down, locking the door, setting the alarm and vice versa. No dice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Al,

Are you doing anything different when you shut everything down for storage that might be causing this?
Old 06-04-2017, 07:54 PM   #11

I agree with Cummins answer..... I tell people the same thing about starting when in storage.

But......there is more to the coach than just the Cummins and putting it in storage with no power to plug into creates some mutually exclusive requirements for all the systems I've found. Any time I start either the generator or the Cummins I run it on high idle until it is up to operating temperature. I don't have any other solution than to start the gen and the Cummins to keep batteries up. If the coach didn't slowly kill the batteries with parasitic loads it wouldn't be necessary to recharge them occasionally.

I understand the newer coaches have kill switches for the house batteries to the inverters along with the kill switch for the chassis batteries. I am likely to be installing a kill for the house batteries on my antique.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Why are you running the main engine? I asked Cummins about it some time ago and got this answer:
Old 08-07-2021, 03:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jestal View Post
I 've seen other posts with similar messages but with no resolution. Looking for what I'm overlooking.

Coach has been in storage for several weeks. All systems were fine last week when I ran the cummins and onan for 1 hour to make sure batteries were topped off. Been sitting there locked up until I dropped by today to load supplies to leave Thursday. First thing inside the door I notice a red fault light on one of the Magnum panels (forward one). Message reads "AC volts high" The coach has been sitting undisturbed, not plugged in, all breakers off, 12V master switch off and chassis battery breaker off. Nothing is plugged in or turned on....

House batteries appear to be at 12.0 volts. Generator started no problem and ran for 30 minutes. Red fault light on the one Magnum panel is still on saying AC volts high. Tried turning breakers for the inverters on and no change.

I'll be on the phone with CS and Magnum in the morning I guess...

In the meantime, any ideas of what to look for. I just hate it when I walk away from the coach knowing everyting is working fine only to return and find something like this Would love to catch one of the gremlins that mess with things when you are not around..
Was there ever a resolution to this problem? I have to have the same fault randomly occurring on my 2021 Verona.
Any input is appreciated.
trailerbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:27 PM   #13

Jestal

I have a 2012 Aspire and had the same issue a couple years ago. Here’s the link to the thread I posted:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/hig...ge-484613.html

Ultimately, even after changing my breaker (inverter ran fine for about 6 months and then the same error and surmised it was the AC board. I replaced the Magnum inverter and no issues since.

Hope this helps!
Old 08-08-2021, 07:41 AM   #14

Same problem with my 2012 Aspire RBQ two years ago. When I drilled down in the menus I also found an overheat message. I had to decide whether to ship my 2011 manufactured inverter in for repair or just swap it out with a new one….Amazon Prime was my choice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	05AAFB7E-02FA-4159-978A-C797814971A5.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	334.4 KB
ID:	338772   Click image for larger version

Name:	6041512E-EE24-47CF-9B15-5D56BA881A87.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	338773  

Motorhead-54 is offline   Reply With Quote