Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2017, 06:25 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsour View Post
On an Entegra....slides out then level
Just curious, what is Entegra's stated reason for this? It just seems more logical to level a coach first, then deploy slides. It would seem to place less stress on the slide mechanisms. Does Entegra use electric or hydraulic slides?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2017, 06:35 AM   #30

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by smlranger View Post
Just curious, what is Entegra's stated reason for this? It just seems more logical to level a coach first, then deploy slides. It would seem to place less stress on the slide mechanisms. Does Entegra use electric or hydraulic slides?
Entegras are built at ride height, meaning the slides are installed and plumbed at ride height. Airing up before the slides are moved (in or out) ensures the coach is in the same alignment as-built. Slides are electric.
2016 Ford Edge Titanium
Victory Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:52 AM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
In addition to what Bill said the tolerance is very close so the slide have a flush fit with no over lapping molding covering up large slide cutouts. Gives the Entegra a very nice clean look.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:53 AM   #32

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiconTrail View Post
These coaches won't operate on only the charge they get from the batteries while driving. I'm curious as to whether you were off shore charge for just a few hours or maybe 12 or 14. If you were driving for 14 hours, you probably needed to charge your batteries with the generator at some point while driving.
Did I understand this correctly? You guys have to run the gen just to keep the batteries fully charged while driving?
If so why is that when you probably have a 200 amp Alt.
I never need my gen while driving to keep mine up.

Eric
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:56 AM   #33

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green D View Post
Did I understand this correctly? You guys have to run the gen just to keep the batteries fully charged while driving?
If so why is that when you probably have a 200 amp Alt.
I never need my gen while driving to keep mine up.

Eric
If the batteries are fully charged before driving, the alternator keeps up fine charging both the chassis and the coach batteries. However, if you leave on a trip after being in dry storage for a month with run down batteries, the alternator is not going to fully charge those batteries and keep everything else running. You cannot get a deep cycle charge from a 12v alternator. It's ether plug into 110v or run the generator until the batteries are fully charged before hitting the road, or before stopping for the night at dry parking.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:59 AM   #34

American Coach Owners Club
Chuck thanks for this info good to know

Eric
Green D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 08:25 AM   #35

I have a battery monitor and watch my deep cycle batteries charge from my alternator. Within a few hours, they reach 100% charge.

They designs the system with high output alternators and large cables in the isolation circuit.

When the isolation relay closes, it connects the chassis battery to house bank. Voltage goes from high to low, along with the current. The alternator keep the chassis battery at 14.2 volts.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #36

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I have a battery monitor and watch my deep cycle batteries charge from my alternator. Within a few hours, they reach 100% charge.

They designs the system with high output alternators and large cables in the isolation circuit.

When the isolation relay closes, it connects the chassis battery to house bank. Voltage goes from high to low, along with the current. The alternator keep the chassis battery at 14.2 volts.
On the Entegras, the relay switches between chassis and house batteries approx every hour. The Anthems on up have 8 AGM deep cycle batteries. With 8 hours driving time, only 1/2 of that trying charge that many batteries will not bring almost dead batteries back up. I think that was the OP original problem when he tried to dry camp for the night.

Different manufactures have different amounts of batteries and charging systems. On my coach I wouldn't expect the 170 amp alternator to bring 10 batteries up to 100% from a low charge in a couple of hours.
Old 02-11-2017, 12:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
On the Entegras, the relay switches between chassis and house batteries approx every hour. The Anthems on up have 8 AGM deep cycle batteries. With 8 hours driving time, only 1/2 of that trying charge that many batteries will not bring almost dead batteries back up. I think that was the OP original problem when he tried to dry camp for the night.

Different manufactures have different amounts of batteries and charging systems. On my coach I wouldn't expect the 170 amp alternator to bring 10 batteries up to 100% from a low charge in a couple of hours.
That's not how it works.

The charging system will never switch off of charging the chassis battery.

That would cause a deep drop in voltage to the electronic engine and transmission controls, when the lights,defroster fan, wipers and any other chassis dependent devices were on.

It may toggle between combined or not but the chassis batteries must be maintaned.

As far as the 1 hour time, it disconnects and checks the condition of the house bank after 1 hour. If the bank is still low, it will repeatedly reconnect for more 1 hour until charged.

A 170 amp alternator will easily output 100 amps, all day long. That's a lot of charging.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 01:10 PM   #38

Entegra Owners Club
OK, guess I am wrong. Maybe it's just my charging system that is wimpy.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:24 PM   #39

The problem persists
The gen was on auto, it ran all night and into today, stopping sonehwere between 2-4pm. Tge was a "maximum run time has been reached" message and the inverter was disabled shutting down the appliances. Something is still not right

Shrugs
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 03:54 PM   #40

Watch "Tuesday with PJ " on YouTube. You will learn what you need to know to fix the problem. Lots of GREAT info on batteries and generator and even slides!
Old 02-11-2017, 03:57 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
At this point, I would take a volt meter and check each battery after it is at rest for 1/2 an hour after being fully charged. You might have to get plugged in to do that Not plugged in and nothing on. Write down the voltage of each battery. Turn everything on in the MH while on battery power only. Read each battery again, there should not be .5 volts difference between any of the batteries. If there is that would indicate a bad battery. (field load test) The voltage with a full load should not be below 6.25V If they are the batteries are not holding a charge. It would not be the first time a coach has had a bad battery when delivered, or the generator not charging.

However it sounds like you are not receiving a full charge. Hopefully Don will chime in with some corrective measures that are those of an Entegra.

I am only speaking from my personally experience which is always subject to argument. My coach had a bad battery upon delivery and my charging system could not keep up.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:01 PM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
That's not how it works.

The charging system will never switch off of charging the chassis battery.

That would cause a deep drop in voltage to the electronic engine and transmission controls, when the lights,defroster fan, wipers and any other chassis dependent devices were on.

It may toggle between combined or not but the chassis batteries must be maintaned.

As far as the 1 hour time, it disconnects and checks the condition of the house bank after 1 hour. If the bank is still low, it will repeatedly reconnect for more 1 hour until charged.

A 170 amp alternator will easily output 100 amps, all day long. That's a lot of charging.
While driving the Precision Circuits BIM will charge the house batteries for one hour and then shut off until such time as the house battery voltage drops to about 12.6-12.7v, it will then resume charging for one hour and this process will continue all the time you are driving. From a practical standpoint while the house batteries are getting a charge the net gain to the batteries is 25-30 AH. Depending on the DC load present while driving and the state of charge of the house batteries the charging will stop for anywhere between a few minutes and 20 minutes. So, if you travel for an 8 hour day expect to only put back around 200 AH total. If you started with a 50% SOC on an Anthem or Cornerstone (800 AH capacity) you will be up to about 75% SOC by the end of your 8 hour driving day.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
voyage