Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2020, 12:43 AM   #1

Main door security on Highway

We had two incidents of main door popping open about a couple inches while going approx 65 on highway. Both times we had rolled over a rough patch in road and bam, it popped open.

How do you all secure main door? Is there something we overlooked in closing door?
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2020, 12:55 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had that happen once. Been using the inside lock ever since with no further problem.
akeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by akeagle View Post
We had that happen once. Been using the inside lock ever since with no further problem.
You mean the dead bolt or what is inside lock? We are new to coach, so have a lot to learn.
Prairie Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:30 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
The door has a double latch, make sure it is being closed firmly. Then use the deadbolt to lock the door. The deadbolt is also a safety factor in the even of an accident and should always be used. If I am not mistake the 21 Cornerstone locks when put in gear, I am going to have to check that.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:06 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You may need to slam the door to engage the second latch.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:17 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
We had/have the same problem. We latch both locks, but it would still make a noticeable "click" and be followed by road noise. I later learned, the "click" was the slider latch unlocking itself. I don't know what triggers that, but it is what is. The dead bolt lock keeps the door from opening all the way like it did the first time for us.

Our first trip in the spring of 2019 of ~1k miles, it happened three times.
We happened to have an appointment at the mother ship and they said they adjusted it. I informed them that it doesn't happen until you have been going on the highway at least 60 miles. So their test drive of it obviously showed it wasn't happening.

While I don't like going to Lazy Days for anything on the coach, we happened to be in Tampa and our awning wasn't working correctly. So we took it there and told them about the door. Oddly enough, they did something right because it has happened only one time since. They messed up everything else they touched, but that, they managed to adjust.

I know it's still going to happen in the future, but I don't think it's anything anyone is going to fix. Especially when you have to go a good distance to see if it's going to happen. There's no way they can confirm if they were successful.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:00 AM   #7

Chuck

The "deadbolt" does lock automatically as soon as the coach is put into drive. This began about 2019. My 2019 Cornerstone does it. In fact, I believe, if you lock it manually, the coach will unlock when you put the coach in drive. Not sure if all models of that vintage forward does it, but it does on mine.

However, there is no good reason that the door pops for any reason when you are going down the road. That is something that you need to get checked by a good shop somewhere.

It is true that you need to close the door securely and tightly when you close the door. It is not really a "slam", but it is a "firm" closing of the door when inside or outside, but it is easiest to get the pressure right when outside and then replicate that pressure when inside.

And Prarie Dog, it might help to add your name to your posts so we get used to knowing who we are talking to as you post. If you are newbie, you will probably ask a bunch of questions and it is simply easier to know who you are talking to.... we all become friends sooner or later as we are all in this together.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:10 AM   #8

I want to say the 2019 Anthem has an electronic lock that locks the door when parking brake is released. You can tell by looking at the door frame and see if there is any other latching hardware besides the door latch. I also want to say in 2019 Entregra had a problem with the electronic door latch unlocking and they had to do an update to get that fixed. I might have my year or coach wrong. There were number of threads back when this coach first came out about that problem.

Gary got his post in before mine. Gary. Do your remember back around 2019 then someone that had a new coach was complaining about the electric lock and he was upset that Spartan was blaming Entregra and Entregra was blaming Spartan for the problem. Or am I having a Senior moment?
Old 08-31-2020, 07:19 AM   #9

No, I think that some judicious searching the archives will find some information. I also bet that Entegra Customer Service people will have that problem in their files.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:15 AM   #10

Door latch issue

Hey, we had the same problem on our new 2020 Anthem last year. On our first road trip of 9,000 mi. the door had come open twice on I95 in NY on our way to the ECOA rally in Foxboro. When we returned to Texas I had NIRVC in Dallas check it out and they explained the "two position catch" on the door. We had not been slamming the door nearly hard enough to engage the second catch. It was operator error, not a coach defect. Now we (1) "slam" the front door when we are traveling. (you can tell the difference by the solid feel when you do it right), and (2) lock the dead bolt. Door hasn't come open since. Can't speak to Gary's earlier comment about the slider lock, but on our coach NIRVC said the pins engage when you have the engine on and put it in gear. (Its a noticeable "click"). Also, our dead bolt doesn't lock itself, you have to manually do it. I bet if you slam it and physically lock the dead bolt your door will stay shut! Good luck.
The Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 12:03 PM   #11

The dead bolt does not lock automatically. However, the lock that locks the door handle does lock automatically, along with cargo doors, as soon as you take the brake off. The door automatically unlocks the handle when you apply the parking brake, but does not unlock the cargo doors. In addition we always use the deadbolt, when on the road.
At least that’s the way it works on the 2020 cornerstone.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:50 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
We had to slam the door on our ‘14 DEQ to get all the latches secure and properly line up the forward latch, sometimes a couple times. When you get it right the sound is very solid. Also, learned to be sure the coach is in neutral and parking brake on before opening or closing the door We do lights and rolling check just before departure, I wasn’t putting it back in neutral and brake on when my wife got back in, door wouldn’t latch properly and ultimately broke the latching block on the forward upper door frame, the bolt moves down to latch when you put the engine in gear and release the brake whether the door is open or closed. After we replaced the block and started closing the door properly the door never popped open again. Also, if you have excessive wind noise from the door area it could be from the door not being closed and latched properly. Our ‘18 CS has the same latch mechanism but doesn’t require as hard a slam to seat the door.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:47 AM   #13

I have to use the deadbolt as the other lock does not work. Last time we were at NIRVC I asked them to adjust the door to close properly, as the time before that they had adjusted it and made it worse. It now closes fine, but does not really latch. If I activate the alarm and door lock with the buttons on the outer handle, you can hear the lock latch, but you can open the door simply by pulling on the handle - the door lock is not actually engaging. The alarm goes off, of course, but it means when we leave the coach we cannot simply lock it with the button because anyone can open it again. When I get back to NIRVC for the Rettroband replacement, I'll get them to try once more to fix it.
Old 09-01-2020, 10:20 AM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post

While I don't like going to Lazy Days for anything on the coach, we happened to be in Tampa and our awning wasn't working correctly. So we took it there and told them about the door. Oddly enough, they did something right because it has happened only one time since. They messed up everything else they touched, but that, they managed to adjust.
Yep, you were at the right Lazy Days
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
door