Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2015, 09:23 AM   #1
PhB

Jayco Owners Club
Maintaining Your Coach Full-Timers

As a total noob, but aspiring wannabe, I've been watching RV Education101 videos on all things Class A DP MH.

Wondering how much time you folks spend doing routine maintenance and servicing on your EC homes. Understanding user experiences may vary, how much time will I be investing in maintenance and upkeep on a new MH as a FT?

172 weeks until the second and third retirement and purchasing decision.

We were at Hershey and switched from the 44B to the DEQ because of the layout. And Tadd said we really didn't need that half bath.
PhB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2015, 10:40 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhB View Post
We were at Hershey and switched from the 44B to the DEQ because of the layout. And Tadd said we really didn't need that half bath.
I don't know the answer to your question .. but as far as the 1/2 bath is concerned ... as Jimmy Buffett says "need is a relative things these days" ... and no, we don't "need" the 1/2 bath - but it sure is nice, and I wouldn't be without it!
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:41 AM   #3

The half bath is great, and think that issue through for yourself and make sure that you agree with Tadd's logic. I have had colon cancer and my DW has some GI problems, and we would not personally give up the half bath for any amount of money...... you would be surprised how frequently both baths are needed. My S&B has 4 full bathrooms and we never recently have paid attention to bathroom use, but an RV with one full bathroom is not something that I would personally find satisfactory. As Gene says, JMHO.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:48 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We have bath and a half. Would rather have the living and storage area. Hopefully, they (Entegra) will build me a Cornerstone DEQ so I can have this front end layout with just a mid bath.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:55 AM   #5

As said above the bath and 1/2 is nice particularly with problems
However we went for the larger living area and like it better. We've been living on our coach while we were searching for a house and never had a problem. But we do show courtesy to each other For example if your going to be using the bathroom for a while, shower or other reason, we ask the other if they have to use it. Personally we like the space.
roadrunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 12:15 PM   #6

As far a maintenance goes it depends on your level of "handy man". I take my coach to Gaffney each year for its annual maintenance, a day of waiting around or what ever. The rest of the minor repairs I do my self at what ever camp ground were at. It is mostly things like replacing drawer latches, adjusting hinges, adding blue tooth to the TVs, finding a screw on the floor and then spending a half hour trying to figure out (to no avail) where it came from, cleaning the jacks, checking batteries, oil, etc...
You will find that initially considerable time will be spend reviewing the manuals for everything. Houses just don't have things like inverters, AGS (or even a generators for that matter), black tank gauges, etc.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selah View Post
As far a maintenance goes it depends on your level of "handy man". I take my coach to Gaffney each year for its annual maintenance, a day of waiting around or what ever. The rest of the minor repairs I do my self at what ever camp ground were at. It is mostly things like replacing drawer latches, adjusting hinges, adding blue tooth to the TVs, finding a screw on the floor and then spending a half hour trying to figure out (to no avail) where it came from, cleaning the jacks, checking batteries, oil, etc...
You will find that initially considerable time will be spend reviewing the manuals for everything. Houses just don't have things like inverters, AGS (or even a generators for that matter), black tank gauges, etc.

Congratulations Selah, an unsuspecting, self proclaimed New guy asks a questions pertaining to maintenance and you are the first poster who didn't pick him to pieces about his floor plan/bathroom choice. You gave the new guy a practical, on point answer.

Most of us don't drive the type of mileage required to use a mileage based maintenance schedule. There is generally an annual Lube/oil/filter schedule which is certainly doable for a dyi guy but Gaffney can do a complete job or Speedco can do most items. Then there are 2-5 year maintenance points like these:
1. Transmission filters/fluid
2. Air dryer
3. Front wheel bearings
4. Differential
Then there are other systems like the AquaHot & generator that are generally annual.
Of course there are items that are based on a more extended time or inspection schedule like tires.

Once you own your coach and start living with the chassis and the various systems, these requirements will become clearer. The fact that you are asking these questions this far out from ownership bodes well for the success of your full timing adventure.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 01:31 PM   #8

My husband and I used to make fun of our friends motor home with a bath n half...now with our Cornerstone, we have the bath n half and love it! Not sure if we would go back to one bathroom. As far as maintenance, my husband is pretty good with keeping up on things. We have often thought having a large motor home is not for everyone, if you are not mechanically or electronically inclined. My parents have always had a tag a long n my father has always stated he wouldn't know the first thing to do if he had problems.
charinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Time spent on preventive maint is directly inverse to time spent on the side of the road...IMHO

And probably averages a couple of hours per week...way less than a house.
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 04:12 PM   #10

s

Phil

Maintenance time depends on what you plan on doing. The diesel engine oil can be changed and many change it every 10,000 - 15,000 miles. Takes time and filters, but in my experience, it is a lot less hassle, to stop at a Speedco location and have them do it. You almost can't do it for much less than they do it. They can change on your orders based on mileage for very little money compared to dealers or many other places. They can also chemically test the oil and let you know when it needs to be changed rather than change on a mileage basis. Also, the diesel generators needs to be serviced after the first 50 hours and then after every 250 hours of use. That is a filter, some Rotella, a fuel filter, and an air filter. Took me about 2 hours to do the whole thing last time I did it. Then there is the air filter which is pretty much a "pull and replace" thing, and should not take much time, and is replaced when the air flow becomes restricted. Check and air up tires, and you have covered most of the regular maintenance.

However, in my opinion, that is not where the time is. If you are close to a good motorhome service facility and have deep pockets, then maintenance is not a big deal. Pay someone else to do it. However, if you are not "handy" and need to drive to a distant maintenance facility, then getting to maintenance can become a big issue in fuel costs and inconvenience. Also, lots of things go wrong in a motorcoach, and that is true with a brand new coach as well as with an older coach, It is all the other things that you repair yourself that take the time. Many of my friends who have bought a new coach have said that there are always "issues" and some are big and some are small, but all are frustrating and time consuming. I believe them. It is the unanticipated, "normal" household things that go bad on a regular basis and always at the worst possible times that are a major pain. You either repair them yourself, or waste time getting someone else to repair them.

However, a motorhome is a wonderful thing and a wonderful way of life..... so don't be naive and go for it with your eyes open!!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:16 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
The maintenance issue can be a double sided answer. How long to you plan on keeping the coach? If you plan on trading it off as soon as the warranty is about up......the maintenance won't be much.

If you plan on keeping the coach for quite a while, it will become your new hobby. If you don't travel many miles then oil changes won't be a problem. If you sit parked, then it will be A/C filter, washer and dryer filters, waxing, light fixtures, water filters, updates, just like a sticks and bricks house. When you do go from point A to B you will hear new rattles or wind noises that need to be found and fixed. If anybody says they don't have those....I want to buy that coach.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
The maintenance issue can be a double sided answer. How long to you plan on keeping the coach? If you plan on trading it off as soon as the warranty is about up......the maintenance won't be much.

If you plan on keeping the coach for quite a while, it will become your new hobby. If you don't travel many miles then oil changes won't be a problem. If you sit parked, then it will be A/C filter, washer and dryer filters, waxing, light fixtures, water filters, updates, just like a sticks and bricks house. When you do go from point A to B you will hear new rattles or wind noises that need to be found and fixed. If anybody says they don't have those....I want to buy that coach.

Great points! You covered the movers and the sitters and my bet is the sitters will have more issues than those of us that move a lot. But.....per DW orders we do not have a W/D, wash and wax are via Blue Beacon or the Border Boys in AZ, and as far as rattles and wind noises....my rig ain't for sale. It's gonna outlive me if my wishes come true!
Happy Trails
FYI, I do the air dryer, tranny, and other such filters, but the oil and lube work belongs to Speedco!
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:38 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Not sure I agree with the "movers" comment....Indiana, Louisianna, Arizona, and NY roads (plus a bunch of others) suggests movers will be just as busy as "sitters"! JMHO
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 08:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Not sure I agree with the "movers" comment....Indiana, Louisianna, Arizona, and NY roads (plus a bunch of others) suggests movers will be just as busy as "sitters"! JMHO

But the MH doesn't move, while the toad does. MH's like to be run. That's my point
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote