Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2019, 09:14 AM   #1

Maintenance costs per year

Hi Folks, I need your collective wisdom and input on how much you think it costs to have the annual maintenance performed on a 2017-2019 Cornerstone.

Background - We have previously owned a 2007 Phaeton and I was able to do a fair amount of the maintenance myself. We are now in the "shopping phase" for a late model Cornerstone and need to able to budget for maintenance costs.

Since selling the Phaeton, I have had some major health issues that prevent me from being able to do much if any of the routine and preventive maintenance that I was able to do in the past. Having said that, I am NOT ready to give up on being able to travel AND to own a late model Cornerstone. Yes, my health issues will play a factor in how much we can do, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel when it comes to travel. I just can't crawl under the MH, bend over, twist and lift much anymore. In other words, I will need to take the MH to a facility that will take care of the maintenance for me. (and yes, I'm open for suggestions on who you recommend. We live near Huntsville, AL)

My question is directed at those of you who own a late model Cornerstone: how much do you think it costs to do ALL of the preventive and required maintenance per year? I don't know if mileage plays a role in figuring how much maintenance is required, but figure on 12,000 miles per year.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and advice.

ron

P.S. If this has been answered in a previous posting, please forgive me, I've been unable to find it.
Maddog11capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2019, 09:32 AM   #2

If you're planning to keep it past five years, I would include the cost of tires, because they will age out in the five to seven year range.

Including all service (chassis, Aquahot, generator, tires, etc) I would plan on $3500, assuming no major expenses.

This doesn't include aesthetic stuff like washing, waxing, housing the coach, etc. I also haven't included brakes as I think it unlikely you'll run through a set of brakes in your lifetime use of the coach unless they are abused.

Edit: Finding a good shop is KEY. Can't help you in Huntsville, though NIRVC in Lawrenceville GA isn't too far. I would highly recommend visiting them for a great sales and customer service experience. Guessing they can recommend a good chassis shop as well.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
[QUOTE=RubiconTrail;5026995]If you're planning to keep it past five years, I would include the cost of tires, because they will age out in the five to seven year range.

Including all service (chassis, Aquahot, generator, tires, etc) I would plan on $3500, assuming no major expenses.

This doesn't include aesthetic stuff like washing, waxing, housing the coach, etc. I also haven't included brakes as I think it unlikely you'll run through a set of brakes in your lifetime use of the coach unless they are abused.

X2 .... I average around $3,500-$4,500 per year so far, yes, that includes tires, batteries, slide toppers, etc. I also take our Anthem to Spartan in Charlotte every year and have them do an inspection and fix anything that needs fixed, or might need fixed. So, I am paying premium ... but, this investment needs to be taken care of, in my opinion.
2021 Grand Cherokee Summit
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:24 AM   #4

My oil/lube at speedco costs $320.
Parts for aquahot annual is about $20 from Amazon, I do the service myself.
End.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneknight View Post
My oil/lube at speedco costs $320.
Parts for aquahot annual is about $20 from Amazon, I do the service myself.
End.
No offense, but a couple of questions...

First, the OP says he wants a shop to do it due to his health, so this seems to work for you, but won't for him.

Second, what about generator oil, oil filter, air filter? Changing rear end lube? Changing front axle and tag axle fluid? What about engine air filter? What about primary fuel filter? Secondary fuel filter? Air compressor desiccant filter? Drinking water filters? Coolant every two years? Fan drive lube change? Serpentine belt? Hydraulic fluid and filter? 30 point chassis lube, including driveshaft every 5000 miles?

That's what I can think off the top of my head. Transmission left out intentionally as we aren't likely to hit that milestone, at least any time soon.
RubiconTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:37 PM   #6

If you were to set aside 6 - $7000 dollars yearly in a separate bank account you should not only be covered for unseen repairs but get ahead of the financing as well. If you get too far ahead take a year off.
There is always that chance a major issue could occur but being prepared for it would be a welcomed relief.
Better to be ahead than behind.
Lynn
Old 11-06-2019, 04:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddog11capt View Post
Hi Folks, I need your collective wisdom and input on how much you think it costs to have the annual maintenance performed on a 2017-2019 Cornerstone.

Background - We have previously owned a 2007 Phaeton and I was able to do a fair amount of the maintenance myself. We are now in the "shopping phase" for a late model Cornerstone and need to able to budget for maintenance costs.

Since selling the Phaeton, I have had some major health issues that prevent me from being able to do much if any of the routine and preventive maintenance that I was able to do in the past. Having said that, I am NOT ready to give up on being able to travel AND to own a late model Cornerstone. Yes, my health issues will play a factor in how much we can do, but I'm not ready to throw in the towel when it comes to travel. I just can't crawl under the MH, bend over, twist and lift much anymore. In other words, I will need to take the MH to a facility that will take care of the maintenance for me. (and yes, I'm open for suggestions on who you recommend. We live near Huntsville, AL)

My question is directed at those of you who own a late model Cornerstone: how much do you think it costs to do ALL of the preventive and required maintenance per year? I don't know if mileage plays a role in figuring how much maintenance is required, but figure on 12,000 miles per year.

Thanks in advance for your wisdom and advice.

ron

P.S. If this has been answered in a previous posting, please forgive me, I've been unable to find it.
Maintenance cost will be all over the place, but $3500-4000 sounds about right year after year.

By the way NIRVC has a great 2017 Cornerstone we just traded in on our 2020.
Stock #4057A
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 04:59 PM   #8

Things I do yearly are..

Annual oil change and service.. this includes all fuel filters..
Complete grease job.. and a overall inspection of coach.. I pay 400.00 for this

I do my own generator but know it’s 125.00 at the shop I use

I do aqua hot every other year.. (that’s based on my personal use at this time) nozzle.. fuel filter and clean exhaust chamber..
But my local aqua hot dealer charges around 300.00

Engine air filter is 175.00 installed at my shop..
(I do this every other year based on my certain conditions)
House water filters are 60.00 at camping world..
house ac filters are 110.00 those are the nice ones that are available now at Walmart..

Maybe I am missing something but that is about all on a yearly basis

I think tires /repairs or some of the 3 to 5 year recommended maintenance stuff
Shouldn’t be included. the question is yearly..

So I would say around $1,700 If you shop right for the basics..
lowejug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 08:24 PM   #9

I know the tires on my Aspire are less expensive than the Cornerstones but one night I figured out that with me doing all the maintenance myself, my costs were between $160 and $200 per month.

That included the life of the batteries, tires and all fluids & filters
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:03 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club

I’m a full timer and I keep pretty close records on all expenses. I ran some numbers and this is what I get, average annual cost on my 2015 Aspire, over the last 2 years.

- lube, oil, filters for chassis, engine and genny $750
- repairs not covered under extended warranty $2,500

Then annualized other costs

- Collision and full timer insurance $2,500
- NIRVC extended warranty $2,000
- Tire allowance, based on 6 year life $1,250
- Texas registration fees $350
- wash, wax, and just keeping it homey $400

So total other costs about $6,500. So it costs me pretty close to $10K a year to live in my Aspire. That’s still cheaper than having an apartment in Dallas, and I can get out of the summer heat. Full timing still works for us.

Plus of course fuel and camp site costs but that varies by how much and where I travel. Finally, a one time cost to repair damage by not seeing a stump in a tight turn $5,000.
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:32 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Don’t forget storage fees if you are not a full timer. Our covered parking with electric is $240 a month in Dallas.

Herb
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:32 AM   #12

MadDog....

First, very sorry to hear about your medical situation. I have been through that myself, and I hope your situation begins to get better and less of a problem.... medical science is making amazing progress.....

I may have misread the OP's original post, But I dont think he was asking for total cost of ownership per year.... therefore, I dont think he was wanting to factor in tires and unusual shop costs. If I understand him correctly, then the answer is considerably less money. I get my coach lubed and oil changed at SpeedCo every year or ~ 12,000 miles. That has historically run about $450 with a complete set of new filters and a computerized oil analysis. I get the AquaHot serviced by Lloyd DeGerald yearly (or at worst every other year if everything is working fine) at a cost of about $200 (new filter, new nozzle, clean combustion chamber and re-gap the ignition electrodes, and (what is worth the most of the $200), have an expert at fixing AquaHots inspecting everything about my system "free of charge" (beyond routine service). And then there is the Onan. I do that myself but I know that Speedco will do that for about $150. Now that is what I call routine maintenance. So routine maintenance costs me about $150 + $200 + $450 = ~ $600 per year.

I have been fortunate in a way so far in that I havent kept a coach more than 3 years, and with Entegra, my first 2 years are on warranty, and Spartan and Cummins keep the huge bills off of me for 3 and 5 years respectively, so although I have had many more than desired problems and fixes, those have not come out of my hide on both of these coaches.... luckily with the Anthem, the big issues were "cured" under warranty, and I had very little out of pocket. I am praying the same situation hold on this Cornerstone. Now, if I have to include everything that I have had to pay to have fixed, then all bets are off and the number I am giving skyrockets.... What I have been through the past 18 months on this coach would get me two steps closer to bankruptcy if it came out of my pocket....

Good luck... stay in the coach business as long as you can fella.... Its good for the head and the body!!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:31 PM   #13

My sincere thanks to all of you who took the time to help me figure out what the annual maintenance costs would be on a late model Cornerstone. I REALLY appreciate it.

One final thought: those of you who chose to have your maintenance done by someone other than yourself, do you prefer Spartan, NIRVC or another shop closer to you? I've read that some shops who are not familiar with the Spartan chassis have overlooked grease zerks, etc.

Thanks again for your wisdom and advice.

ron
Maddog11capt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:53 PM   #14

Sadly, I've been a customer of Cummins Coachcare, Freightliner, NIRVC (many times), Spartan certified shops, and traveling repair guys.... it all depends. (I say sadly because I have visited a ton of repair shops over the years) The company that does most of my repair work is NIRVC - Lewisville. They are only ~240 miles from me, and they have some excellent techs and can fix just about anything. However, they are not a Cummins certified shop so virtually no one other than a Cummins shop is going to be appropriate for Cummins problems. NIRVC is certified to do most Spartan repairs. They are not perfect.... they screw up like everyone, and occasionally do stuff wrong or not at all. However, I trust them to make things right if they do, and they have lived up to my expectations. We are so far from Charlotte, MI that I have not made it to their shop for repairs. However, I would trust them implicitly if I was near them when I needed a Spartan problem solved.

My philosophy is to get my rig worked on by whoever is most qualified to deal with that particular repair.... usually an OEM owned repair facility. A Spartan shop that is "certified" to do Spartan stuff, a Cummins owned shop for a Cummins problem, etc. Then, there are the shops that I wouldn't trust my coach to for all the money in the world..... I'd have my coach towed past them several hundred miles to another shop with a better reputation (those places are known well on here).

Actually, there is a lot of good information on specific places and historical experience of customers of those facilities contained right here on this forum.... Ask the owners who are in your general location where they trust and why (and where they avoid and why).

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance