Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2021, 08:09 PM   #29

Entegra Owners Club
You are missing the point Gary - putting it up on the TV makes it easy for me to see, and I’m the one doing the navigating. It one of the few times that Rick actually does what I tell him!

Seriously, I usually have a couple of different views going in big cities to minimize the chance of needing to make last minute lane changes and turns. I can’t see what the RM is telling him on the dash screen, but I can see the TV (we have it mirroring the dash screen) and then run Waze on my iPad. Between the two I can usually give him a heads up if there’s a turn or problem up ahead.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2021, 09:13 PM   #30

Goldie

I completely understand the utility of throwing the image up on the overhead front screen if the person using it is my wife (navigator) or someone else in the coach. However, often the person that is talking about casting the GPS image seems to be the driver (in previous threads) and seem to feel that it is less distracting or easier to see on that upper TV. That is the part that I don't understand if that is the purpose. There is no way that it can be safer for the driver to be trying to refer to the overhead TV in doing his/her navigation compared to looking slightly right and downward to see the GPS image, or in my case with the digital dash, I can throw the GPS right in the center of the digital display right in front of me (where all the other information is displayed).

Now, I would bet that there are other differences across coaches. Dee says she can see important stuff on the GPS normal display, but again, she has her own Garmin GPS that she has running all the time, and most of the time, she uses her GPS to look at other issues other than our next turn. However, sometimes we are comparing notes on what her GPS is saying (her's does not worry about height-weight issues etc whereas I depend on the in-dash unit to consider all of those issues. So, someone was wondering how to cast to the above TV and I simply asking those that do want that, how t hey use it as I think it would be much harder for me to look at that display than it is to look at the ones right in front of me. But some seem to want to do that and I am trying to understand why and in what circumstances.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:41 AM   #31

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdgoldie View Post
You are missing the point Gary - putting it up on the TV makes it easy for me to see, and I’m the one doing the navigating. It one of the few times that Rick actually does what I tell him!

Seriously, I usually have a couple of different views going in big cities to minimize the chance of needing to make last minute lane changes and turns. I can’t see what the RM is telling him on the dash screen, but I can see the TV (we have it mirroring the dash screen) and then run Waze on my iPad. Between the two I can usually give him a heads up if there’s a turn or problem up ahead.
Touche. Karen gets nauseous if she tries to focus her eyes on a small tablet or phone screen while traveling. She being able to see the big screen way ahead of any problem is a BIG help to me. I find it much less distracting to glance at the big screen than trying to focus on a small screen. I can see in an instant how long the accident tie up is, then hit detour on the small screen and be out of there. Trying to navigate with Waze on a phone screen vs the big screen, no comparison.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:25 AM   #32

Well, you gave some answers to my question. I perfectly understand that a copilot may well be able to see that screen better. What surprises me Chuck is that you can focus on that screen and get meaningful information from it quicker and safer while driving than simply looking at the GPS display that is a just a little off your normal line of sight. That would not be easier for me, but I understand that it might be easier for you. Fine. At least I now know that some find that easier to deal with than what is already there. What bothers me the most is that I would have to take my eyes totally off the road in front of me for whatever amount of inspection that I need to make to derive the information from it and for that matter of time, I'm obviously not looking at the road in front of me.

I'm sure you are not the only one and I was hoping that by asking the question, I would get a bunch of answers and possibly learn that I might need to try some other option. Makes sense if I am stopped, but not my preference while moving. It sounds like what you may be casting to that TV is the Waze display. I use WAZE for road hazards and police or even traffic issues, but I would never use WAZE to navigate or alternate my course significantly based on slow traffic conditions. I have found myself dealing with a low clearance bridge or very tight city streets when following a non-coach GPS unit and frankly, I just don't do any of that any more. That is the reason that the Rand-McNally is the "bottom line" "decideer" or my course of travel when I am under way as it is the only device that is factoring in length, height, width and weight. Its never been wrong on that dimension.

Thanks for the better understanding. Its clear to me that for everyone but the driver, that overhead display is probably the way to go.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 08:52 AM   #33

I use the RM as a backup/overview but don’t use it for routing. Easy to get the big picture of what is coming. Co-pilot runs the Garmin for turn by turn directions. Waze is running on the phone. My dash screen is useless in almost every lighting condition while driving so rarely look at it. Bigger screens are easier and faster to orientate than trying to stare at a 7” washed out screen. JMO
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:02 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I forget which garmin it was that I had. It was a very early LM (lifetime map) one. A few years ago I could not update it. My other Garmin's i could. My assumption was they were talking about support lifetime not my lifetime.

Also, when I got that early LM garmin. I read the support statement for lifetime support. At that time it said you needed to least once a year download new maps. Not sure what that ment, would I be lost from the LM database if you did not.

Before the life map options. You would keep using the gps and refuse to pay for the update. One we use so long we drove for about 20 miles on a road that did not exist on the maps because it was built in the last 5 years.
ArtJoyce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 09:12 AM   #35

Is this no longer a thread about updating Garmin maps? Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 03:46 PM   #36
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Update: had a chat with Garmin support just now, and no change in the situation status. Those with RV760 must wait until 2022.20 is released to update - rep said "mid-summer".
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 04:11 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr View Post
Update: had a chat with Garmin support just now, and no change in the situation status. Those with RV760 must wait until 2022.20 is released to update - rep said "mid-summer".
Thanks Ron - I appreciate that info!

I was just thinking of getting my RV760 out of the motorhome and seeing if a map update would work. You saved me from yet another frustrating attempt.

Now we get to wonder what "mid-summer" actually means. This year's summer solstice occurs on June 20th and the autumn equinox will be on September 22nd. I'm thinking the Garmin version of mid-summer will be somewhere around September 21st.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 03:51 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr View Post

Interesting, sounds like a date that is continually pushed back. I talked to them the beginning of last week and they told me that the "fix" would be out mid-June. Maybe that just happens to be the same time as the 2022.2 release.?.? They told me that the problem has something to do with the weight and/or size (I forget which one) RV routing calculations. They did say they put my name on a notification email list for when the "fix" was released.
DeWat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:03 AM   #39

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My RV760 has version 2021.3

There was a Memorial Day sale for $100 off on the Garmin 890 so I ordered one. Well I ended up with two but why is another story and one is going back unless I find someone who wants it.

The important thing here is that I did updates and it says everything is current. On the device there are 6 different maps listed but on Garmin Express only two:

IOverlander Worldwide 2022.2
Full coverage of North America 2021.10

So it appears that when discussing map updates there are different maps and perhaps different versions according to device. It does appear odd that the 760 has 2021.3 while much newer 890 has 2021.10.

Anyone have a better explanation?
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 10:30 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
Interesting, sounds like a date that is continually pushed back. I talked to them the beginning of last week and they told me that the "fix" would be out mid-June. Maybe that just happens to be the same time as the 2022.2 release.?.? They told me that the problem has something to do with the weight and/or size (I forget which one) RV routing calculations. They did say they put my name on a notification email list for when the "fix" was released.
Thanks Dewey, good info. My name is allegedly on that notification list as well.
Old 06-11-2021, 02:12 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
My RV760 has version 2021.3

There was a Memorial Day sale for $100 off on the Garmin 890 so I ordered one. Well I ended up with two but why is another story and one is going back unless I find someone who wants it.

The important thing here is that I did updates and it says everything is current. On the device there are 6 different maps listed but on Garmin Express only two:

IOverlander Worldwide 2022.2
Full coverage of North America 2021.10

So it appears that when discussing map updates there are different maps and perhaps different versions according to device. It does appear odd that the 760 has 2021.3 while much newer 890 has 2021.10.

Anyone have a better explanation?
Jerry, my guess is if you connect the 890 to Garmin Express it will update the maps to 2022.10 or whatever the most current version is at this time.

And if you connect the 760 to Garmin Express it will come back saying that device is up to date with the version currently on it (2021.3 according to what you indicated). Obviously it’s not, but that’s just the approach Garmin adopted to keep 760’s from updating until they resolve whatever problem it is they have.
Old 06-11-2021, 04:38 PM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Jerry, my guess is if you connect the 890 to Garmin Express it will update the maps to 2022.10 or whatever the most current version is at this time.

And if you connect the 760 to Garmin Express it will come back saying that device is up to date with the version currently on it (2021.3 according to what you indicated). Obviously it’s not, but that’s just the approach Garmin adopted to keep 760’s from updating until they resolve whatever problem it is they have.

Larry, sorry if I was not clear.

With the 890 connected to Garmin Express it reports it is up to date with Worldwide Map v2022.2 and North America 2021.1. Garmin Express does not show the other maps that are seen in the MyMaps display on the 890, such as the National Parks.

It appears that map versions are not one size fits all and different GPS units use different map versions.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps