Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-19-2021, 01:49 PM   #1

Map Update Issue - Garmin RV-Specific GPS Units

For any of you who have an RV-specific Garmin GPS unit…

Amy & I have several Garmin GPS units, including an RV 760 that is, as the name implies, an RV-specific device. (There is a similar version of the same device, the DEZL 760, that is tailored to over-the-road truckers.) I had the RV 760 before we purchased our 2018 Entegra and like it considerably better than the Rand McNally GPS functionality that came with that coach.

Since I hadn’t updated any of our Garmin GPS units in quite some time, I decided to do that a few days ago. Garmin provides a program called Garmin Express specifically for this purpose: connect a given device to your computer using the relevant USB cable, open up Garmin Express, wait for it to recognize the device, click the image of the device, and the program will automatically check for updates (software & maps), and give you the option to apply them.

That process worked as designed for all our units except the RV 760. Garmin Express did update the RV 760’s software to version 5.60, but would not update the maps database.

Included below are two images. As you can see, the first image indicates that everything is up to date. But when I click on “Map Details” I get what you see in the second image, which indicates the map database is version 2019.30. That version is anything but current – the latest version is 2022.10.

I tried a number of different approaches to get the map database to update, all of which were unsuccessful. This morning (4/19/2021) I gave up and called Garmin Support. Fortunately, they have a stratified menu that allowed me to indicate I was calling about an RV-specific product. When I pressed the button for that option my call was answered right away.

The nice lady I spoke with explained there is a current issue with map updating on the RV and truck specific devices. Garmin is working to resolve the problem, but until that is accomplished they have disabled map updates for those devices. I assume their reason for doing so was an assumption that most of us would prefer a working GPS with a somewhat out-of-date map database over a totally non-functional GPS.

The Garmin rep offered to take my e-mail address (which I provided) and indicated I would receive an e-mail notification when the issue had been resolved and maps updates are available for my RV 760.

Until then, I have a ready-made excuse if we end up down a dead end street with no way to turn around!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin Express-RV 760 Map Update Issue-2021-04-19-A.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	325578   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin Express-RV 760 Map Update Issue-2021-04-19-B.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	26.9 KB
ID:	325579  

LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2021, 02:05 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks for the update. I updated the map on my RV780 about a month ago with no problem. Must be a recent failure on Garmin's part.

Like you, I definitely like my Garmin better that the included Rand McNally.

Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:16 PM   #3

Ray, it could be that the map update issue only affects the older units like my 760 but not the newer units like your 780.

I just checked and was somewhat shocked to see that I purchased our RV 760 in June of 2013 - almost eight years ago!

I guess there is some truth to that saying about time flying when you're having fun...
Old 04-19-2021, 02:24 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just updated my rv 770 before we hit the road 8 days ago.
ArtJoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 02:36 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Ray, it could be that the map update issue only affects the older units like my 760 but not the newer units like your 780.
I had the RV760 till about a year ago when it died. The 780 is definitely a nice upgrade.

Later...
Ray
RayandWendy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:03 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Interesting Larry. I was on the waiting list, and bought my S/N 35C0004xx serial number RV760LM when they were first announced. I don't update it often, but I do try to keep it updated every now and again. I believe my last update was this year, probably around the time Rand McNally got hacked. After seeing your post, I tried to update mine to see what would happen, but my thoughts are that is possible that 2021.30 maps are the latest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Garmin.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	325597  
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:11 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Jayco Owners Club
My Garmin RV 660LMT updated to map level 2022.10 end of March. I had a minor issue with the update that turned out to be some leftover junk files on the internal storage that made it complain about a lack of space.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 05:14 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
My Garmin RV 660LMT updated to map level 2022.10 end of March. I had a minor issue with the update that turned out to be some leftover junk files on the internal storage that made it complain about a lack of space.

Thanks, that answers my question about latest map, and confirms Larry's report of not be able to get updates.
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:01 PM   #9

Dee and I always have at least two GPS devices running as we travel. Dee has a car version of a Garmin GPS, I have the Rand-McNally going, and then of course, I have WAZE running on a Visible cell phone (which could do GPS also) and we have two iPhones with Google maps that can run on them. Virtually, 99.5% of the time, the Rand-McNally dash GPS is the one that we follow. Dee uses hers as a backup and she is the navigator and all anticipating travel issues, or how far to xxx issues are things that she deals with on her GPS.

Now, I know that some owners are not particularly happy with their Rand-McNally GPS, but that is not my view. My RAND has worked very well. I don't think that I remember a circumstance that the RAND got me in trouble in navigating..... I think if it did, it is really because I didn't do what I was supposed to do or one of those situations where there are three branching exits right at the same time and I mistakenly understood the wrong one.

So, I really like the ability to put the GPS in the center of my Valid digital screen and the Rand has not led me astray. Nothing against the 7" stand alone Garmin... I had one of those in my Monaco Dynasty and still own it (but it now lives in a box)

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 07:12 PM   #10

Gary, I don't doubt that the Rand McNally GPS will do accurate routing. My issue with it was that I found the user interface considerably less than desirable/intuitive in comparison to Garmin's. Also, I seem to recall Rand McNally was charging for map updates, whereas most all of the Garmin units come with free lifetime updates included in the purchase price.

I agreed to do some beta testing for Rand McNally ten years ago or so and had the same reaction at that time. Not bad, but not as simple/straightforward as what I'd experienced with Garmin GPS units.

Just my two cents, and I certainly don't expect everyone to agree.
Old 04-19-2021, 07:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
Thanks, that answers my question about latest map, and confirms Larry's report of not be able to get updates.
Dewey, I have no idea why Garmin is releasing map updates labeled 2022.xx in early 2021, but yes, the most current version of Garmin's map database is 2022.10.

Maybe Garmin is trying to emulate Entegra. You know, release the following year's product in the first month or two of the current year!
Old 04-19-2021, 08:04 PM   #12

Larry

I have no problem with your evaluation.... I was just presenting my experience and a view that differed. No problem with that for me.

And no, unless the policy is something new, Rand-McNally has never charged me for an updated map. My policy is that I update the maps if one is available before every 3 months trip on the road. So, I normal download two updates a year. Now, there was a problem with people not getting updates (including me) but the issue was that some update that I downloaded maybe a year before had an exec file, as I remember, that needed to be deleted. That exec files was preventing the software from update. I was told of the need to delete that file, and I think that I remember that I published a thread on here indicating what file needed to be deleted to get the updates to start again.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:20 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Dewey, I have no idea why Garmin is releasing map updates labeled 2022.xx in early 2021, but yes, the most current version of Garmin's map database is 2022.10.

Maybe Garmin is trying to emulate Entegra. You know, release the following year's product in the first month or two of the current year!
That's the way they've been doing it for many years now. Like you, I don't know why but that's their thing. And then the XXXX.10 means it's the first release of the year. They will do up to 4 updates a year with obviously XXXX.40 being the final. Sometimes they will only do 3 and then XXXX.30 is the final release.
mikeyk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyk101 View Post
That's the way they've been doing it for many years now. Like you, I don't know why but that's their thing. And then the XXXX.10 means it's the first release of the year. They will do up to 4 updates a year with obviously XXXX.40 being the final. Sometimes they will only do 3 and then XXXX.30 is the final release.
Yep, what you outlined is consistent with my experience over the past ten years or more.

Hard to figure, but I guess it makes sense to somebody at Garmin.

Or not...

Tags
gps