Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2016, 05:43 PM   #1

Master dump valve modification

Someone tell me what’s bad about this idea. I used to have a freightliner chassis that had an air dump valve to dump the air out of the air bags. I liked it because sometimes I’d stop for the night and didn’t want to put the jacks down and I’d just dump the air and the RV would be settle on the frame and be very stable. I miss that option. So I checked it out and discovered that there is a 2 wire harness along with the regular harness for the Equalized system on the dash. The two wires are grey and purple. The grey wire sends 12 volts to the master dump valve to deflate the air bags. The purple wire sends 12 volts to the master valve to Inflate. I just took that harness apart and put 12 volts to the grey wire and it worked as advertised. So I’m thinking that I’ll put a momentary switch in line with the grey wire and when I hit it I can dump the air anytime I want. To inflate the bags I would just hit “retract all” and they would fill or I could use a double throw momentary switch and have one direction to fill and the other direction to deflate. Any thoughts on this idea? The first thing someone will say is “what if you forget to fill the bags when you drive off?” I ALWAYS hit retract all as part of my pre-driving check list and that sends a signal to inflate the bags.
darjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2016, 06:38 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
With this setup, will the action disable when the coach is underway? It could get nasty if one accidentally dumped the air while driving!
2004 Jeep Liberty Limited - FMCA #343990
BHutting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 06:44 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHutting View Post
With this setup, will the action disable when the coach is underway? It could get nasty if one accidentally dumped the air while driving!
I think I answered my own question after re-reading your post. With a momentary switch, you would have to hold it in position, correct? My Monaco have a air dump switch.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:49 PM   #4

As a matter of good controls engineering, I would interlock your momentary switch with the engine-on signal. This way there is no way for it to be activated accidentally or by component failure.
xtechgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 08:29 PM   #5

Spartan Chassis
Why couldn't you power ON, auto level, and power off before jacks can extend? In the morning power on and retract all.
Looks like this would do the same thing.
2023 F-150 Towed
rag_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:35 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
Why couldn't you power ON, auto level, and power off before jacks can extend? In the morning power on and retract all.
Yes, I have done this and it works. Just initiate the leveller sequence and immdiately turn the jacks off after the air dumps. Voila, manual air dump.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:30 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rag_ftw View Post
It does. Did that at Camp Entegra the other night to lower the steps.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 06:44 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
Yes, I have done this and it works. Just initiate the leveller sequence and immdiately turn the jacks off after the air dumps. Voila, manual air dump.
X2 that works, done it many times. On the downside, the jacks are almost all the way to the ground before the dump sequence initiates, it would be nice to have a quick easy way to do it.

Thanks darjacob for identifying the wiring!
voltdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #9

If the switch is a viable solution I would prefer it over short cycling the the leveling system. Waiting to see if there's a down side to the switch.
MxChief66-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 07:03 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My Monaco had a Air Dump switch in the cockpit. To dump air the engine had to be off and the ignition in the on or accessory position.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:42 AM   #11

If anyone is interested, I can tell you how I did this and which wires to use. But the result is I have a momentary switch that when pressed down dumps the air, when pushed up it inflates the bags. No need to do anything with the jacks and it only works with the key in acc (as another poster suggested). The jacks still function as they always did, dumping and inflating air if you use them. It's probably overkill, but I put diodes in line to prevent any current flowing back to the Equalizer control panel. Most owners will probably not see the need for this but I am very pleased with the ability to control the air bags apart from using the jacks.
darjacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 04:24 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Glad Entegra does have a way to dump the air. We lost a step motor yesterday and it is a long drop without being able to dump the air. Thankfully the motor failed in the Entegra parking lot, but at quitting time.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 07:52 AM   #13

Sheesh, Chuck, you need to get that embroidered 'kick me' off the back of your shirt! At least it happened in a good place.

Tags
cat