Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-22-2021, 10:55 AM   #15

Regarding these blade valves hanging up or moving slowly, I found that if our coach sits in our onsite RV garage for a period of time – particularly in the hot Arizona summer – the water in the bowl will evaporate, leaving calcium deposits on the blade and the seal. If you look at the photo in Bob’s post initiating this thread, you can see some of that starting to happen on his seal. I can’t tell if there is similar calcium buildup on the blade, but I’ve definitely seen it on ours.

Once you get the buildup the motor has to work harder to open & close the blade valve. If it gets bad enough the motor can fail and/or parts can break as a result of the abnormal load.

A little Lime-Away (or similar) works well for removing the buildup.
LWBAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2021, 11:43 AM   #16

Just did my Aria II Saturday, took longer to find and align the screw holes to fasten down the toilet than changing out the mechanical assembly. Tip, mark where the screw holes are outside the toilet base, ie. 9:00 / 3:00 for mine

BTW, shop around got mine from ebay seller rvpartspro for $119 free shipping
Old 03-22-2021, 02:01 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichnSue View Post
Just did my Aria II Saturday, took longer to find and align the screw holes to fasten down the toilet than changing out the mechanical assembly. Tip, mark where the screw holes are outside the toilet base, ie. 9:00 / 3:00 for mine

BTW, shop around got mine from ebay seller rvpartspro for $119 free shipping
One more good recommendation. If you look at the photo in John's post on the previous page, you'll see he used blue tape to mark the location of the toilet before removing it.

Here is a link to his post:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/mid...ml#post5682945
Old 03-23-2021, 06:03 AM   #18

When replacing the blade Assy be sure to use 100 percent pure silicone and not the recommended product reposted on thetford website. We found that out after replacing it the second time in two weeks. Do not use for 24 hours after installation. Just me experience.
RV-LEDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:38 AM   #19

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks, everyone, for all the helpful tips and ideas (quick disconnect on the power, ball-valve water shutoff, marking the holes, 100% pure silicone, waiting before using, etc.

The part is waiting for me in Dallas at our next stop...
bsaldeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 06:50 AM   #20

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
If you look at the photo in Bob’s post initiating this thread, you can see some of that starting to happen on his seal. I can’t tell if there is similar calcium buildup on the blade, but I’ve definitely seen it on ours.

Once you get the buildup the motor has to work harder to open & close the blade valve. If it gets bad enough the motor can fail and/or parts can break as a result of the abnormal load.

A little Lime-Away (or similar) works well for removing the buildup.
Thanks Larry! When we got the coach (we're 2nd owners) the valve didn't shut easily. The service tech said he lubed it up with vaseline to fix it. Until about 2 months ago, I was using vaseline too, until I discovered the Thetford solution that's made for this maintenance, then started using that. We're full-time and use a water softener, so it hasn't dried out. Still could be calcium though, or it's leftover vaseline.

In any case, I wonder if vaseline didn't hasten the problem. It seems like it's been getting louder (it was never quiet). Anyway, no more vaseline...

It'll be interesting to hear what a brand-new blade/motor sounds like. I've never heard anything else. Would be great if it was quiet. ;-)
Old 03-23-2021, 08:07 AM   #21

Entegra Owners Club
Our 16 & 21 from new are not something you want to operate in the dead of night. Would probably wake your neighbors besides anyone in your MH.
Old 03-23-2021, 10:31 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaldeen View Post
It'll be interesting to hear what a brand-new blade/motor sounds like. I've never heard anything else. Would be great if it was quiet. ;-)
Don't get your hopes up Bob. As Tim indicated, the flush cycle isn't particularly quiet even when the toilet is brand new.
Old 03-23-2021, 01:39 PM   #23

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWBAZ View Post
Thanks for this info. I've used a number of different connectors for purposes such as this, but these appear to be as good as, probably better than, any I've tried.

On our toilet, I installed an on/off toggle switch in the 12 volt electrical line. That allows me to flush the toilet, then cut the power when the slide valve is partially or fully open. Makes it easier to lube the rubber seal.
Another way to open the knife valve for lubricating or cleaning is to simultaneously push both buttons twice and the valve will stay open until the flush button is pressed again.

1300W Solar, 1200AH LiFePO4 FMCA F443497
757driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:08 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 757driver View Post
Another way to open the knife valve for lubricating or cleaning is to simultaneously push both buttons twice and the valve will stay open until the flush button is pressed again.
Good info Don - thanks for posting it.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:40 PM   #25

Same thing happened to me on my 18 Anthem. The new assembly will fix the problem. Rv guy put the toilet on his tailgate and had it done in about 30 minutes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
That looks like a Thetford Aria II. The sliding round piece that opens and closes the drain is part of an assembly that includes an electric reversible motor that drives a “lead screw” which is attached to the sliding piece. When the motor turns one way the valve slides open and when it runs the reverse direction the valve is slid closed.
Your lead screw has separated from the valve and the entire assembly must be replaced. If you are comfortable removing the toilet so that you can turn it upside-down for access it is a very easy remove/replace job-the hard part is removing the toilet.

By the way, since the connection to the sliding valve is broken, turning the emergency knob on the rear of the toilet will have no effect.

I’ve had to do the rebuild twice in my previous Newmar. Here’s the link to order a repair kit:

https://www.amazon.com/Thetford-1961.../dp/B00FFB3FYM
ejl822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:16 PM   #26

Entegra Owners Club
Woohoo! Part came from Amazon today, picked up parts at the local HD and did the install. Went pretty smoothly, and thanks to everyone for all the tips.

The new one is quite a bit quieter than the last one, but it had gotten progressively louder over the last month or so. It's not whisper-quiet by any stretch.

As an aside, it was my first time using sharkbite plumbing parts. Boy is that technology great. I bet I had that shutoff valve installed in less than a minute. Picked up a pipe/pex cutter from HD and that made it super-easy.

Anyway, thanks again to everyone.

Grapefruit gone! And no, we didn't eat it.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2021, 12:20 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Good job! Glad it went well.
Archer2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:58 PM   #28

Thanks for the feedback Bob. I'm sure many of us will have to do the same thing you did, so it's good to know it wasn't all that difficult.

Tags
toilet