Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-30-2021, 08:08 AM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillieagle View Post
How does one collect mileage tax from rental vehicles? What about Canadiens or others that use our roads. With gas tax you use you pay. The roads need improvement but a well thought out plan not a knee jerk reaction.
I can fill my gas tank in Utah, paying UT fuel taxes, drive through Idaho without stopping for fuel, using their roads with subsequent wear and tear on their highway, then stop in Montana or Wyoming and fill up there, paying fuel tax to them. I haven't bought fuel in ID since 2018, though I have driven thousands of miles on their roads.
why would I do that? Idaho ticked me off when they announced that too many out of state hunters were in their wilds so had to increase the price of non-resident licenses so high that it would reduce the population of out-of-staters. No more "Free 'taters for out-of-staters" billboards there.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-30-2021, 08:22 AM   #128

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What?

I wonder if they would eliminate the gasoline tax then? And Can you imagine how much goods that travel by truck will increase to cover this?
I hope they rethink this one. At least let the American people vote on this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselgem View Post
I hope this is not taking as a political post but rather one that impacts every single rv users out there. How would paying a mileage tax impact your traveling?

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/26/butt...structure.html
markarbogast is offline   Reply
Old 03-30-2021, 08:30 AM   #129

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral View Post
Roads and bridges need repair and someone has to pay. Usage or mileage tax seems fair to me. There is no free lunch.
We all pay tax on consumed fuel already. The Lunch is not free.
LOL
markarbogast is offline   Reply
Old 03-30-2021, 08:50 AM   #130

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by markarbogast View Post
I wonder if they would eliminate the gasoline tax then? And Can you imagine how much goods that travel by truck will increase to cover this?
I hope they rethink this one. At least let the American people vote on this one!
Trucks already pay mileage fees and even keep track of ea states mileage if interstate. Its a bookkeepers nightmare. In the end, before I retired I had a in cab computer that kept track of it and also was My legal logbook.
Old 03-30-2021, 10:15 AM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by markarbogast View Post
We all pay tax on consumed fuel already. The Lunch is not free.
LOL

Yes, but electric car users don't pay a tax that goes to fixing roads. They pay tax on the electricity they use, but that doesn't go to road and bridge maintenance.
Old 03-30-2021, 11:12 AM   #132

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard5933 View Post
I understand the difference between a progressive and regressive tax.

I don't understand how a tax on the fuel used is any better in this regard for lower income earners than a tax on the miles driven, compared side by side (not one in addition to the other). Either way, the more you drive the more tax you pay.

An argument could easily be made that a per-mile tax is actually better for low income earners than a per-gallon tax, as many of the older/lower cost vehicles on the road are going to consume more fuel to travel the same distance and therefore result in more taxes being paid by the users. Fewer low income earners are going to be driving EVs or high-MPG vehicles than the higher wage earners, so the fuel tax will negatively impact the poorer drivers.

Not sure how a per-mile tax will affect the poor more severely than a per-gallon tax.
Not sure why you are comparing two regressive taxes - gasoline and mileage.

Not sure why you only focus on the driver/car (poor) that might not even have a car.

Not sure why you don't address the issue of the cost increase being passed along to the poor in the prices of things they buy.
PS56 is offline   Reply
Old 03-30-2021, 11:15 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
Imagine one day all vehicles are electric, now imagine how the roads will be paid for, that may help come up with solutions
Add a credit card payment system to the charging station at home and on the road.
PS56 is offline   Reply
Old 03-30-2021, 11:38 AM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS56 View Post
Not sure why you are comparing two regressive taxes - gasoline and mileage.

Not sure why you only focus on the driver/car (poor) that might not even have a car.

Not sure why you don't address the issue of the cost increase being passed along to the poor in the prices of things they buy.
Well, a seven or eight grand solar/storage system will provide pretty much all the power a typical commuter needs for an EV if they can charge during the day. Might be hard to regulate that. That’s the thing with electric. Unlike gasoline people can make it themselves.
radar is offline   Reply
Old 03-30-2021, 11:51 AM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
Well, a seven or eight grand solar/storage system will provide pretty much all the power a typical commuter needs for an EV if they can charge during the day. Might be hard to regulate that. That’s the thing with electric. Unlike gasoline people can make it themselves.
On a cross country trip or away from home, what do you do with the solar/storage system? Tow it behind you? What about someone who lives in an apartment, where would they put it?

Not sure that would work.
PS56 is offline   Reply
Old 03-30-2021, 12:13 PM   #136

Quote:
On a cross country trip or away from home, what do you do with the solar/storage system? Tow it behind you? What about someone who lives in an apartment, where would they put it?

Not sure that would work.
I’m not sure what you are asking. For those that can they charge at home must of the time. When on road trips they use public charging. You are kind of making my point which is taxing electricity used when charging won’t work because there are too many variables.
radar is offline   Reply
Old 03-30-2021, 12:18 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by radar View Post
I’m not sure what you are asking. For those that can they charge at home must of the time. When on road trips they use public charging. You are kind of making my point which is taxing electricity used when charging won’t work because there are too many variables.

All you have to do is add a credit card payment system at the charging station.

If we can do it at the gas pump, it can be done for electric cars and trucks.

Not sure why this is hard to envision.
PS56 is offline   Reply
Old 03-30-2021, 12:31 PM   #138

Quote:
Add a credit card payment system to the charging station at home and on the road.
There are state and federal rebates available to those who install charging stations. There are state and federal rebates and credits available to those who purchase an electric vehicle. There are utility company rebates and various “Clean Air Organization” incentives available as well. There are “free” charging stations popping up everywhere. Whoever is footing the bill for that electricity, isn’t paying a road tax.

As mentioned, installing solar, which is also subsidized, can offset some or all of the electricity used at home. If there is no net energy used, there is nothing to tax. No one is going to put a credit card payment system on their in home charging station. If they were forced to do that, they’d just charge from a different outlet.
Kid Gloves is offline   Reply
Old 03-30-2021, 12:39 PM   #139
GKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by azbuzzard View Post
With mileage tax, electric cars would pay their share.

Some States are gearing up to tax electric cars by increasing the license renewal fee.This appears to be a “catch all” that eliminates the hassle of reporting exact mileage.
GKW is offline   Reply
Old 03-30-2021, 12:42 PM   #140

Quote:
All you have to do is add a credit card payment system at the charging station.

If we can do it at the gas pump, it can be done for electric cars and trucks.

Not sure why this is hard to envision.
And for those of us who only once in a while use a commercial charging station we go tax free?

I still say a registration fee annually is a good but not perfect solution for those of us driving EV’s.
radar is offline   Reply
Closed Thread