Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2019, 07:59 PM   #1

Mirror Broken Off

Recently at the garage where we store our Entegra, a mishap occurred when someone was moving a trailer and clipped our passenger side mirror. It's going to be driven 100 miles next week to take it to the repair facility in Indiana but I'm not too thrilled with the prospect of driving without that mirror. Any suggestions or experience on how to handle this? My wife will be driving behind me to spot me and assist in lane changes but it still will be a bit harrowing driving around Chicago.

Here are photos of the damage...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	242182   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0010 (1).jpg
Views:	58
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	242185  

Name:	IMG_0596.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	289.2 KB
ID:	242188  
rvguy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2019, 08:05 PM   #2

First - Take a passenger and... stick their head out the window to check for lane changes? In addition to your wife behind. Im really not kidding as might be safer with both. Buy walkie talkies we have used them.

Second - Temporary fix to the mirror including lots of duct tape glue whatever, no matter how ugly just make it functional to get there. Use the whole roll if you have to just wax first on the paint so it is easier to remove later.

Third - Is there a product like a clamp mirror or some kind of towing mirror you could get as a temp and just remove the broken one and put this temp one in its place? Found this on Amazon ( see picture) maybe stick it on the glass side window and razor blade it off when done. These are really small but finding a bigger one.

I think your situation stinks and would hate to be in your shoes, but as silly as my answers might sound I was really thinking what would I do.

Good Luck and let us know what you do and how it goes when you make the drive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5147kzcauCL.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	242190  
AZ RV'r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:14 PM   #3

The only thing I would offer is to, honestly, stay in the right lane. Use the corner camera and turn the house on your head unit to display the corner camera on the overhead tv when activating your signal light.

VERY GENTLY only merge into right lanes.... like VERY GENTLY.

Ideally, yes, take a passenger that can ride in the coach behind the passenger front seat and report what they see next to the coach.

Not much else one can do...

a chase car that will act as a rear pilot car and 'block' the right lanes before you turn is the best. Have two cell phones and just leave the call connected the whole trip. Talk with your chase car the whole way and you'll definitely be ok.
derba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:15 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Lost same mirror on my way to the mothership this past September... toll booth grabbed it ... $1000 installed. Ouch!
ditto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:33 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I replaced one on the Travel Supreme, it was about $300. without heat. To get you to Indiana, the mounting screws that tore out of the cap can be replaced with polished stainless steel machine screws with self locking nuts. Use flat washers on the inside. The screws will be the same size that are in there now, take one with you to match the head in size, it will look factory. Ace hardware had a good selection. The mirror can be duct taped to the arm and be drive-able. If the wires are not broken, it will still be adjustable from inside.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:39 PM   #6

I LOVE this forum. Thanks everyone for quickly responding. I like the idea of using duct tape if possible and yes, staying in the right lane the entire way. The clip on mirror might also work if I can get it to really stick. It's the right turns that scare me as I'm so accustomed to using the passenger mirror to finish the turn (and avoid the curb). I'll use all of these suggestions and come up with a plan that probably involves some white knuckles too! The guy who clipped it has already seen the estimate and said he'll gladly pay for it without bringing insurance into the picture.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:45 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I had this happen to me in Phoenix. I did the quick fix using a piece of 3/8" copper tubing and JB weld. The 3/8" tubing is plenty strong and helps reinforce the stem that gets JB Welded. The tubing allows the wiring to run thru the stem. I also drilled and tapped a couple of set screws on each side of the break to keep the tubing from sliding. 1600 miles and it is still solid. Now, the arm to your coach....I have no idea. That really sucks.

Duct tape will not hold for even 10 miles...that was my emergency try. Not sure of the Chicago area you are in, if your close by I could help, I am far north suburbs.
Props2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Props2 View Post
I had this happen to me in Phoenix. I did the quick fix using a piece of 3/8" copper tubing and JB weld. The 3/8" tubing is plenty strong and helps reinforce the stem that gets JB Welded. The tubing allows the wiring to run thru the stem. I also drilled and tapped a couple of set screws on each side of the break to keep the tubing from sliding. 1600 miles and it is still solid. Now, the arm to your coach....I have no idea. That really sucks.

Duct tape will not hold for even 10 miles...that was my emergency try. Not sure of the Chicago area you are in, if your close by I could help, I am far north suburbs.
I'm in Buffalo Grove and the coach is stored in Wheeling. I think your idea is great! And I agree - it's the arm that scares me. I'll send you a PM. Maybe we can talk on the phone tomorrow. Thanks so much for your offer. That's what is so great about this lifestyle.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:06 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Props2 View Post

Yes it will, it worked for me until the new mirror arrived. Your fix is much better.
Thinking back, I did JB Weld it before putting on the duct tape which I am sure helped.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:08 PM   #10

To avoid traffic, I’d advise leaving Buffalo Grove by 3:30 am at the latest.
Last Tuesday I went to Shipshewana, Indiana to take my fifth wheel in for warranty work. I’m guessing I took a route that will be very similar to yours.
I took I-290 to I-294 to get around Chicago. I passed Woodfield Mall around 4:00 am. Traffic wasn’t bad at that time, but around 4:30 am it started to pick up. By the time I hit the southwest suburbs I was seeing a lot more cars. As always, there was heavy truck traffic on I-80. As some of the back roads in eastern Indiana are brutal, I opted to bite the bullet ($$) and take the Indiana Toll Road. FYI, IPass is accepted there.
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:03 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite77 View Post
To avoid traffic, I’d advise leaving Buffalo Grove by 3:30 am at the latest.
Last Tuesday I went to Shipshewana, Indiana to take my fifth wheel in for warranty work. I’m guessing I took a route that will be very similar to yours.
I took I-290 to I-294 to get around Chicago. I passed Woodfield Mall around 4:00 am. Traffic wasn’t bad at that time, but around 4:30 am it started to pick up. By the time I hit the southwest suburbs I was seeing a lot more cars. As always, there was heavy truck traffic on I-80. As some of the back roads in eastern Indiana are brutal, I opted to bite the bullet ($$) and take the Indiana Toll Road. FYI, IPass is accepted there.
Good point. Traffic around this city is TERRIBLE!
Old 04-16-2019, 11:10 AM   #12

I wouldn’t worry about the wiring. I’d cut the wires and find a piece of tubing or wood dowl and epoxy it into the mirror and arm. Similar to fix above, but I wouldn’t worry about the wiring. Just make sure the mirror is in correct position before epoxy sets.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin101 View Post
I wouldn’t worry about the wiring. I’d cut the wires and find a piece of tubing or wood dowl and epoxy it into the mirror and arm. Similar to fix above, but I wouldn’t worry about the wiring. Just make sure the mirror is in correct position before epoxy sets.
Thanks. As mentioned by others, JB Weld should do the trick along with some tubing.

It's the attachment to the chassis that worries me. With the screws pulled so far out I'm concerned it will fall off completely. Getting in there to secure it for the drive will be tough knowing how tight it is in the generator area. I'll be reexamining everything in the next couple of days to evaluate how to prepare for the drive.
Old 04-16-2019, 12:50 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvguy02 View Post
Thanks. As mentioned by others, JB Weld should do the trick along with some tubing.

It's the attachment to the chassis that worries me. With the screws pulled so far out I'm concerned it will fall off completely. Getting in there to secure it for the drive will be tough knowing how tight it is in the generator area. I'll be reexamining everything in the next couple of days to evaluate how to prepare for the drive.
Even with the new mirror the screws will have to be replaced. The sheet metal screws that go through the fiberglass have pulled out and the holes are to large for the screws to reattach. If you get larger sheet metal screws the heads are to large to fit the mirror counter sinks. Changing to the stainless steel screws as mentioned above will have to be done anyhow. It is simple to do and there was of room inside of the generator compartment to reach them when I changed mine. Someone will have to hold the screw heads from the outside with a Phillips screw driver.