Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-17-2021, 01:36 PM   #281

Guess we've been lucky. Have a 2012 Seneca with Cummins 6.7. No DEF failure with 36K miles.
Denie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2021, 02:11 PM   #282

Newmar Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenat View Post
Correction: There is a way to get help from Cummins. They have road service. If derated and on the side of the road two things can happen. 1: Codes are verified roadside by diagnostics and is the part available? If the def part is unavailable the tech by his laptop downloads a software patch for your vin # and the codes are cleared. You agree to bring the vehicle in for repair when parts are available. Then the patch is reversed. 2: The other option is to tow/transport the derated unit to the repair facility and have the patch and or repair initiated onsite. This software is already available to any government vin priority diesel vehicle or emergency responders. So, it is not new just a positive step the EPA has allowed Cummins to do to help alleviate a bad supply issue. Regarding making proprietary software open source so anyone can modify engine specs is not going to happen. This software is vin specific. If your vin is emergency you get it programmed on the ECM. If your stuck and derated then you get it temporarily to get on down the road. Unfortunately for us we are not classified as responders so this is the best we have for now.
Mikenat, are you basing what you wrote about how Cummins could come to the rescue of a derated, stranded coach with Roadside Service on some information from Cummins or your own experience? I have spoken to a whole lot of people who have experienced a failed sensor and not one of them has been able to get the Cummins temp software whether on the roadside or otherwise.
The second thing is how did this thread get resurrected? Its been dormant since Sept 1 until yesterday.
Archer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 06:20 PM   #283

Attention!

Read this post, https://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/if-y...cs-561860.html
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 07:21 PM   #284

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
well thats a bit disconcerting
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 05:53 AM   #285

EXACTLY!! Why hasn’t the trucking associations intervened? I have left many, many messages with the ATA (American Trucking Association), all to no avail. They never answer their telephone. I have even written a letter to the CEO of the ATA requesting his input. Never even got a response. I think the ATA is just an organization that collects money from trucking companies and does absolutely nothing for them. Let’s go, ATA. You are being conspicuously absent here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by move on View Post
This is exactly my thinking on this problem. Derating your engine is a system of punishment and you cannot automatically punish someone without due process. The EPA is way out of its authority here. I don't know why the trucking industry hasn't challenged this in federal court. It is clearly unconstitutional.

Ultimately the solution is to make engine control software open source, sort of like the android system. This would take it out of the hands of the EPA. As far as emissions compliance, the states have their emissions inspections to enforce compliance and that's all that is needed.
dj3183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:39 AM   #286

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
archer2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer2 View Post
Mikenat, are you basing what you wrote about how Cummins could come to the rescue of a derated, stranded coach with Roadside Service on some information from Cummins or your own experience? I have spoken to a whole lot of people who have experienced a failed sensor and not one of them has been able to get the Cummins temp software whether on the roadside or otherwise.
The second thing is how did this thread get resurrected? Its been dormant since Sept 1 until yesterday.
I don’t know the answer to being dormant. My information is from my Cummins mechanic who works on engines. I own a trucking company and do business with our local Cummins Care Shop. The patch exited prior to the EPA/ Cummins announcement that this would be available to coach owners. As stated, it is either a tow or onsite. Prior to this announcement we had researched if the patch could be applied prior to experiencing a derate or failure. We were told no it couldn’t. The use was specific to government approved vin numbers. I was told when applying the software patch the vin was required to be entered into the application thereby documenting it’s usage. I am sure just calling a Cummins Care facility can verify this easily.
Mikenat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 07:53 AM   #287

This is all bull crap when it comes to Cummins policy.... This is designed to help virtually none of us and in the least convenient and most expensive way.

I've virtually never seen such a lousy industry response to such a vexing issue. Just amazing!!

My respect for virtually everyone involved in this situation (industry/manufacturers) has taken a serious hit.... Shame.

And anyone in the government with an IQ above 70 knows that this helps virtually no motorhome owner with a serious problem.

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 08:54 AM   #288

Tiffin Owners Club
It seems as though Cummins is more concerned with being overwhelmed by RV owners flooding their shops for a patch that still have functioning Def sensors. They care very little if an RV owner gets stuck miles from no where on the side of the road and incurs great expense being towed to a shop and waiting in line.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 12:02 PM   #289

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by SargeW View Post
It seems as though Cummins is more concerned with being overwhelmed by RV owners flooding their shops for a patch that still have functioning Def sensors. They care very little if an RV owner gets stuck miles from no where on the side of the road and incurs great expense being towed to a shop and waiting in line........
.......or lengthy delays, damage, or injury.

What they do care about is the ability to claim there is a solution so they can continue doing whatever it was they were doing before this issue finally got some recognition and became a distraction for them. And that obviously is the extent of the level of concern.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2021, 06:08 PM   #290

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post

My card was recently the victim of a fraudulent charge - actually what appeared to be two small test charges. Take the warning seriously and check your cards. We got the card cancelled before a bigger one came through.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 07:12 AM   #291

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Small $1 charges are usually to confirm recurring accounts still being valid. I know when I have opened something new that happened and then I got a couple $1 credits to offset. No big deal.

The rancor about def, Shaw Spartan and Cummins is valid. No consumer should have to worry about being sidelined in their purchase. Whether the EPA regulations for mandatory derate are unconstitutional is probably not true. The ATA is not concerned about RV diesel owners. Class 8 OTR trucks do not have the same def equipment our coaches have. Bottom line is until Shaw comes up with a better unit we are stuck. Sorry. Option two is sell your coach and reduce stress. Buy a gasser.
Mikenat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:01 AM   #292

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Small $1 charges are usually to confirm recurring accounts still being valid. I know when I have opened something new that happened and then I got a couple $1 credits to offset. No big deal.
Not always, I have one card only used for purchased on my commercial building. There are no recurring charges or auto bill pay on that card, only purchases. A few days after making a purchase at Lowe's, a dollar test charge showed up, and not from Lowe's, much like Linda's. The CC company was the one to tell me Lowe's was hacked, they also changed the card. Lowe's never did contact customers that they had been hacked that I am aware of.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 08:36 AM   #293

Tiffin Owners Club
There are thousands of diesel trucks of various sizes sidelined across the country because of the Def sensor issue. And now add in the Cummins fuel rail issue also affecting RV's and Trucks. The fuel rail is also on back order for a couple of months. Keeping these rigs on the road and rolling is always an adventure. Diesel or gas.
mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2021
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2021, 02:51 PM   #294

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:

The rancor about def, Shaw Spartan and Cummins is valid. No consumer should have to worry about being sidelined in their purchase. Whether the EPA regulations for mandatory derate are unconstitutional is probably not true. The ATA is not concerned about RV diesel owners. Class 8 OTR trucks do not have the same def equipment our coaches have. Bottom line is until Shaw comes up with a better unit we are stuck. Sorry. Option two is sell your coach and reduce stress. Buy a gasser.

The small “tests” were from different locations and were $3.XX and $13.XX (don’t remember the change). AMX told me scammers often use small dollar amounts to “check” the card. If no reaction to those, then the larger $$ start showing up. I get an email alert whenever my card is used. Easy to see any unauthorized charges.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cummins