Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2021, 06:54 PM   #1

Motorcycle carrier

I am wondering if there cheaper but safe ways to carry my Harley Davidson than investing on Hydralift on my Anthem. I read Hydralift can be bolted on the Spartan flame. Then, how about bolting two (2) hitch receiver-like square pipes on to the flame and add 2” square metal pipes on a regular on-hitch motorcycle carrier side so that the carrier is now supported by 3, instead of 1 2” pipes? Many of the hitch carriers claim to have 600 lb weight capacity supported by only a single 2” square pipe at the center. By adding two additional support pipes, it can easily support 1000 lbs or more plus preventing yawing motion of the motorcycle, I would imagine. A Hydralift runs about $7k w/o labor vs. a hicth carriers does $300. I think I can easily save a few $1000s. Appreciate your thoughts.
Smokingem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2021, 07:27 PM   #2

Smokingem

I just had the mighty hauler installed on my Aspire. I’m still in the evaluation stage but for two trips it has carried my golf cart well. But, be careful with weights! I’ve had mine weighed and within the limits but had to have the lift slightly modified after it tilted toward the back.

Hope that helps. Mind you I’m not advocating it since I’m still evaluating. But it’s approximately $2500.

Regards!
Old 01-18-2021, 07:36 PM   #3

In looking at the pictures on the site of Mighty Hauler the issue is see is tail dragging over bumps and in driveways. That 3 or 4 feet out behind you rig is going to drag at some point. I don't think that would be good. I solved this problem by putting the bike in the back of an F150 and using the truck as my toad. It also allows me to build a cap for the bed that protects the bike from road debris. Whatever you choose to do, good luck.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 08:04 PM   #4

Arcaguy

Agree that is one of my concerns as well. So far so good though. I recently purchased a Jeep Gladiator as a backup to load and haul my golf cart.
Old 01-18-2021, 08:33 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
I think I would take a serious look at one of the rear carriers that have the swivel wheels on them. You can still back up, not too much extra load on the frame, and solid for tying down.

Swivelwheel-DW58 Tandem Tow Carrier / Hauler Transport System
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:00 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I've seen a few lightly used complete hydra lifts for sale in the last year for $2-3k. They really are very nice, and probably the easiest non trailer option. The swivel wheels are nice too, but my luck and small tires don't play nicely together.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 11:23 PM   #7

All,

Thank you for your input.
I also am thinking those options:

- Swivel hauler. If you look closely, they are using off-the-shelf wheels with built-in suspension mechanism. It is probably not too far beyond DIY. If fact, I was thinking to add those wheels on the regular hitch carrier. Will sleep on it.

- Towing a truck and put your motorcycle on it. Yap, thought about it. But, I worried the total length may exceed the legal limit of 65 ft. My todd is a Jeep GC, which is approx. 16 ft + 45 ft for Anthem. You only have 4 ft margin minus the tow bar. Kind of tight.

Thanks.
Smokingem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 11:36 AM   #8

I have a lift from "Overbuilt" on mine.
I'm not sure they are still in business, but you never know what you'll find on the internet. In fact, I found this one used on craigslist, in 2010! And for $1500.
This is the second coach I've had it on. It has been trouble free other than replacing the electric winch a couple times (due to water intrusion)
I especially like that the TOAD's towbar attaches to the lift and doesn't have to be removed to raise or lower the bike.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180206_175238931.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	535.6 KB
ID:	315107  
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 04:37 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
I also have an Overbilt lift. An awesome lift. They are located 50 miles from my home. I do not believe they are in business as I drove their a week ago but it was on a Saturday. I need the 3 point receiver hitch only. I called and emailed but have not heard back from them. I also emailed Hydralift about purchasing the hitch but have not heard from them either.
JohnArch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 08:07 AM   #10

I might be confused, it happens , but I think Blue Ox bought Overbilt Lifts.

I had a HydraLift to carry my Fatboy and I still believe it's the best motorcycle lift there is but even it was at times scary to watch in the rear view camera. If there is ever another motorcycle it will be in the pickup bed .

No RV anymore !
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 11:38 AM   #11

We've carried our Road Glide in an enclosed trailer, and bought and used a Deck over Dolly trailer for a while, mostly because it was doable with our gas coach. When we went to diesel I ordered a Rampage lift for our truck and have really enjoyed it. Our total length is just a little over 70 ft but you really dont hear of rigs being pulled over for being slightly over length.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:10 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnArch View Post
I also have an Overbilt lift. An awesome lift. They are located 50 miles from my home. I do not believe they are in business as I drove their a week ago but it was on a Saturday. I need the 3 point receiver hitch only. I called and emailed but have not heard back from them. I also emailed Hydralift about purchasing the hitch but have not heard from them either.
Overbilt, at least what I have, uses a 2 point hitch.
I'm not aware that they have ever sold one though.
When I put it on the Monaco, I bought 2 os these and had them welded to it's frame. receiver tube

When they transferred it to the Aspire, they actually cut those off, and welded them to the Entegra's bolt-on hitch assembly.
oneknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 05:46 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
RV Trip Wizard
A point of clarification. as you see in the photo by Oneknight overbilt uses 2 receivers of a 3 receiver hitch. Should you disassemble (it breaks downs easily) by pulling the 5/8" pins and not actually use the lift, you can still use the center receiver as a conventional tow hitch. Overbilt cut the OEM hitch from the frame and welded a new hitch on.
JohnArch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor