Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2014, 06:00 AM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Moving up?

Currently driving a 38 ft. allegro red, considering a change up to 42+ and tag axle. Curious where you guys with the really big buses overnight at when traveling cross-country. We like to park at an rv spot even if just for the night, but have seen a lot of tight spots that were touted "as being ok up to 50 ft.r's...looks like it would be a real PITA to try these parks in a 42-45 ftr. Curious to hear what the big rig folks have to say. Really like the Anthem 44's but don't want a bigger headache. What say you?
mymyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2014, 06:09 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I went from a 40ft to this 42ft Entegra. The difference in overall length is about 22 inches. This tag axle seems to turn tighter than my old 40 due to the geometry of the tag wheels. Backing up seems easier to me because the tag axle automatically dumps air to help turning room. The one thing that is different is gas pumps and state parks. I stick to truck lanes for gas now and there's a lot of state parks I formerly would venture into that I really scope out before entering. There's also the "UFO factor". When you park in a state park dry camping area next to a bunch of tent campers be prepared for the stares like you landed in a UFO.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:21 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I traded a 40 (really 41) ft Beaver for my 44 (really 45) foot Anthem. While it is 4 feet longer, the Anthem is much easier to maneuver due to its better turning radius. I had the same concerns as Mymyst has, but after taking the plunge I find have no problem at all finding good places to park it. I use Big Rigs Best Bets and rvparkreviews to scope out suitable campgrounds, but when on a long trip I also spend a night or two at Walmarts.

Yes, there are some campgrounds that I won't fit into, so I have to find another one a little farther away from my destination. But this only happens in less than 10% of the places I go to, and I enjoy the extra spaciousness of my coach 100% of the time!
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #4

We like hog driver have a 42 ft tag. Before you venture in with the coach either walk or drive toad and look for overhanging limbs. We use campgrounds when traveling and have been in a couple of tight spots and had to back up a few feet to complete a turn. If overnighting we normally do not unhook but I walk the exit and make that decision. Enjoy the new ride you will love it.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:24 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Because of the dogs, we always try to hit a campground every night. Walmart just isn't known for dog parks. You have to be careful but we have run into more problems with improperly trimmed branches than too short a site. We check several resources looking specifically at size of sites and services (if the CG doesn't offer 50 amp, it isn't going to handle our rig). That said, we always call first. Our experience has been that, if they can't accommodate our size, they tell us. We stay a lot at KOA or Good Sam parks (nearly all have pull thrus long enough for us with a toad) and try to find a big rig resort type CG if we intend to stay for a while in the area. And, personal opinion, don't let two feet decide which unit you get. If the 44' floorplan fits your lifestyle better, then go for it.
hdgoldie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 07:35 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
LOL on the UFO factor.

We've been lucky but we do some pretty careful planning using RV Park Reviews and other sites. When we stayed at Boyd's in the Keys, our rear end was right on the edge of the water - prayed for no wind/surf. Mostly we stay in Full hook-up parks instead of state parks although one north of Nashville was easy and great

Same for us on the gas lines except we do use the Flying J RV lanes. Only 2 times we had to use a regular gas station, we had to unhook.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
We were once in your shoes when we moved from a 35 footer to our 45 ft Anthem but soon realized we were worrying about nothing. I use Allstays Camp/RV to locate possibilities, then check reviews on Reviews of RV Parks and Campgrounds - RV Park Reviews If the reviews are good, then I check the overhead view with google earth. Being an ex-Tiffin owner, I frequently ask others on TRVN where they like to stay in my area of interest. As others have said, get ready to be the nicest ride in many of the parks you stay in!

My biggest question when we go across country, is where do all the big prevost motorhomes stay at night?
2012 Honda CRV, Blue Ox Avail, AF1
tnrzryd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
We have found that most highway-side RV parks are big rig friendly as they are designed for overnight stops with quick in and outs. . We check the Good Sam's rating and if it's over 7.5 they also list the number of big rig sites or they state big rig friendly. As others have said RVParkreview.com for others experiences that have stayed there. We are moving up from a 39.6 ft to a 43 towing and we are not worried at all from our previous experiences.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 09:37 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnrzryd View Post

My biggest question when we go across country, is where do all the big prevost motorhomes stay at night?
We have had MANY of them next to us at WalMarts We had one that we "think" was Sugar Land as we saw the same bus on one of their tour videos when we got home.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 10:20 AM   #10

Bigger is better IMHO.
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 11:31 AM   #11

With our 40 footer we always had good luck with KOAs. They usually have large open pull-thru sites available. I think we'll continue that with our 45'. Still there is always a concern about tree branches. Some park owners forget to look up. I carry a 16' telescoping fishing pole with me to measure when in doubt. I don't think it's wrong to ask a park owner to trim when needed. It's my paint.
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
. I don't think it's wrong to ask a park owner to trim when needed. It's my paint.
It's a major issue. I carry a tree saw.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:17 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
We went from a DSDP 40 to the Aspire. I haven't noticed many restrictions with the bigger rig. I carry a bow saw.
Marcosdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #14

YEP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
It's a major issue. I carry a tree saw.

X2! It's a telescoping tree saw probably extends up to 20ft. Pull it out and use it without hesitation!

Ron.
BUS4US is offline   Reply With Quote