Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2016, 11:40 AM   #1

My First Experience Changing The Oil

I've been putting it off but decided to take the time today to change the oil. I learned one important lessen. I decided to take off the big rock guard so it was easier to crawl under the coach.

*Note to self....that thing gets VERY hot laying in the sun and it nearly took off a layer of skin.

I sure wish the engineers at Cummins would have allowed an extra 1/2 inch of space between the dip stick tube and the oil filter for the filter wrench. I also installed the shut off valve, however it does drip a little through the valve. If I can't get that to stop, I'll be taking it back off.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2016, 11:52 AM   #2

Anything black will attract huge amounts of heat from the sun.
Add to your list of " don't dos " after 1/2 day in sun don't venture onto the black roof of your coach . Probably melt the rubber soles on your shoes.
Dip stick tube is one thing , Cummins alternator clearance to oil filter on the B engines , oil filter wrench would contact alt power stud .
Old 06-19-2016, 12:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave&ginny View Post
I also installed the shut off valve, however it does drip a little through the valve. If I can't get that to stop, I'll be taking it back off.
Which brand of valve? Fumoto?
hawgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 01:33 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgguy View Post
Which brand of valve? Fumoto?
Yes it's the Fumoto. I turned the nut on the valve trying to stop it and that seemed to help but I'm not sure it stopped it completely.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Anything black will attract huge amounts of heat from the sun.
Add to your list of " don't dos " after 1/2 day in sun don't venture onto the black roof of your coach . Probably melt the rubber soles on your shoes.
Dip stick tube is one thing , Cummins alternator clearance to oil filter on the B engines , oil filter wrench would contact alt power stud .
I use a web type of wrench and there's no wiggle room between the filter and the dip stick tube. The filter I used is a "WiX" so I wonder if it's just a tad thicker and if so this could be part of the problem. Next time I'll try the Fleet Guard and see if there's a difference.
Old 06-19-2016, 01:43 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
What rock guard? I don't have a rock guard near my oil filter, that I remember. I purchased a bottom clamp on oil filter wrench at NAPA that made getting the filter off much easier. It's a 1/2 drive and I use a 6 inch extension to clear everything. Sure made life easier.

Did you wrapped the threads of the Fumoto valve with Teflon tape? If not, use Bob's trick of a shop vac on the oil fill. Replace the Fumoto with the stock plug then wrap the threads with Teflon on the Fumoto then replace it. Hope that works, don't strip the threads trying to over tighten it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote