Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #1

my New coach is in

I dropped by MHSRV today to get something out of my (on consignment) coach and was told my Espire Black Pearl DLQ came in yesterday morning. I got to go look at it even though it was in make ready. We tried to put out the slides but when we turned the engine off the lights went out and the slides would not move. The coach batteries were down to 4.4 volts so I guess something was left on all the way from the factory. We plugged it in so I hope the batteries charge up since it's really not good for a battery to sit discharged. Also we had to pull the steps out.

Damn it is nice. I really have the fever now.

Met a couple all the way from Washington State picking up a new Cornerstone. MHSRV is a machine. Sold units everywhere and a ton more in make ready.

Jerry
ShadowBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2013, 08:12 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Make sure they do a deep charge check on your chassis batteries before you accept the coach...I have a long story, but it doesn't merit the time, just make sure they do a deep battery charge check!!!!
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
Make sure they do a deep charge check on your chassis batteries before you accept the coach...I have a long story, but it doesn't merit the time, just make sure they do a deep battery charge check!!!!
I'm sorry but I was an auto mechanic twenty years ago and I'm a pilot and race car driver. I work on a lot of things with wet cell batteries but I have never hear of this test. Please explain and I will check google.

JJ
Old 07-20-2013, 08:33 PM   #4

I found nothing on Google.

JJ
Old 07-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Just suggesting that the dealership delivering me ran my batteries down too far twice...long litany of working with Spartan on a electrical problem before they decided that the batteries had been run down too far too many times and had sulfated out. Replaced both batteries three months later after numerous other more expensive fix tries and electrical problem went away. I'm no mechanic, but I am told that the chassis batteries are of a type that the fluid can become "sulfated" and no longer hold a deep charge. Just offering. If you're comfortable, fine...but others have had to have their batteries replaced as well.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowBolt View Post
I dropped by MHSRV today to get something out of my (on consignment) coach and was told my Espire Black Pearl DLQ came in yesterday morning. I got to go look at it even though it was in make ready. We tried to put out the slides but when we turned the engine off the lights went out and the slides would not move. The coach batteries were down to 4.4 volts so I guess something was left on all the way from the factory. We plugged it in so I hope the batteries charge up since it's really not good for a battery to sit discharged. Also we had to pull the steps out.

Damn it is nice. I really have the fever now.

Met a couple all the way from Washington State picking up a new Cornerstone. MHSRV is a machine. Sold units everywhere and a ton more in make ready.

Jerry
Congratulations on your new coach and on the early delivery time. You beat us to the finish line! We have one week to go......it is going to be a LONG week.
DianneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:15 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
I think Dave is one of those who identified an issue with cargo and generator bay lights being left on. Based on their comments, I found all of the above to be true on delivery. I's not easy to notice in the daytime and so I guess the folks who are checking things out forget to turn them off.

That might be the cause of your low battery condition.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I had a similar battery condition when I first went to the dealer to see my new Anthem. Batteries were down to 10 volts, not as bad as yours but too low nevertheless. I too found several basement lights plus the one over the generator had been left on. The first thing to do is charge your batteries fully right away, as the longer they stay discharged, the more potential for damage.

I contacted Entegra CS and they had the dealer do a battery capacity test, which I was told showed the batteries were okay. I have since found that the batteries are performing well and hold plenty of charge while boondocking. But since yours were so low you should contct Entegra and put them on notice that you want the batteries tested and replaced if your battery service suffers from this as it is definately battery abuse.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 07:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRUSA14 View Post
I had a similar battery condition when I first went to the dealer to see my new Anthem. Batteries were down to 10 volts, not as bad as yours but too low nevertheless. I too found several basement lights plus the one over the generator had been left on. The first thing to do is charge your batteries fully right away, as the longer they stay discharged, the more potential for damage.

I contacted Entegra CS and they had the dealer do a battery capacity test, which I was told showed the batteries were okay. I have since found that the batteries are performing well and hold plenty of charge while boondocking. But since yours were so low you should contct Entegra and put them on notice that you want the batteries tested and replaced if your battery service suffers from this as it is definately battery abuse.
I agree. I'm really worried about this and worried the dealer could say anything to get my money then get me gone. 4.4 volts is almost completely dead. The problem is I have no idea how long the batteries have been discharged.

JJ
Old 07-22-2013, 03:43 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
JJ,

Please let me know if MHSRV provides the 73 item Entegra checklist. I didn't see one.
TXBart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXBart View Post
JJ,

Please let me know if MHSRV provides the 73 item Entegra checklist. I didn't see one.
Okay

JJ
Old 07-22-2013, 07:01 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Do as I did. Write Entegra and put your complaint on record, letting them know that you expect warranty support if the batteries give less than normal service. They were very responsive when I did this. I also think it is important that they be reminded that this is a continuing problem that they should do something to prevent.
MRUSA14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:39 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
A lot of the Inverter/Charger will shut the charger off if batteries get below 10V and will need a portable charger to get them up to 12-13 before the Inverter/Charger will start charging again.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
A lot of the Inverter/Charger will shut the charger off if batteries get below 10V and will need a portable charger to get them up to 12-13 before the Inverter/Charger will start charging again.
Great info. I know when the engine was running everything was working great. When we turned off the engine and plugged in the coach to shore power we lost everything. I would have thought the inverter would have still put out the 12 volts but I guess not.

The real issue is there is really no test to see what damage was done to the batteries. Yes you can check the specific gravity and make sure all the batteries are charged up to 100% but a load test does not work on a deep cycle battery (I don't think) so I think asking the dealer to check the batteries is so much smoke blown up you know where. I was planning to use a battery maintainer/charger on this coach. I usually get four years out of a set of house batteries. We installed a Schumacher charger/maintainer from Walmart on my 1965 Piper PA28-235 and went from replacing the battery once a year (very small battery cranking a 540 cubic inch engine) to every four years. I think with the correct set-up we may be able to get six or seven years out of a set of house batteries.

JJ