Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2017, 10:05 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Napa Primary Fuel Filter

I just had my coach serviced at NIRV And they installed a Napa 3965(I think) primary fuel filter. The water separator drain petcock failed after the first time I checked for water. I think this was a fluke. Just saying if you have one to monitor it. I had a tale tale sign of grass dying below the the def container. I had a spare filter but had to go through the agonizing process of doing a dry filter change. Didn't have the option to get diesel fuel at that time. I fired up the coach hoping the primary filter would fill up. Big mistake, ran the engine out of fuel. Spent next hour cycling key to prime the filters. Lesson learned to wet prime both primary and secondary filters when possible.
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2017, 10:53 PM   #2

you really gotta get it going and don't let off when no fuel available like in a corn field in iowa. Trust me
johnnyreno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:47 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by royals1212 View Post
I just had my coach serviced at NIRV And they installed a Napa 3965(I think) primary fuel filter. The water separator drain petcock failed after the first time I checked for water. I think this was a fluke. Just saying if you have one to monitor it. I had a tale tale sign of grass dying below the the def container. I had a spare filter but had to go through the agonizing process of doing a dry filter change. Didn't have the option to get diesel fuel at that time. I fired up the coach hoping the primary filter would fill up. Big mistake, ran the engine out of fuel. Spent next hour cycling key to prime the filters. Lesson learned to wet prime both primary and secondary filters when possible.
Did your coach engine originally have the clear plastic fuel bowl? The NAPA 3965 water/fuel separator is all contained in the filter and you can't see the water. Fleetguard is the brand Cummins uses. I would check to make sure the NAPA FIL 3965 filters are as fine of a filter as Cummins specifies.

I had the water petcock start to leak last year while we we were traveling in upstate New York. Of course it was the beginning of a holiday weekend and getting a new bowl and filter was difficult. On a CAT engine, when you run completely out of fuel, it is a very difficult situation indeed. Turning the key off and on just doesn't do a thing. You have to pressurize the tank to try and force fuel into the filters, or in my case I had to pre-fill both filters, and then disconnect the fuel like going to the engine fuel pump and using a turkey baster inject fuel into that pipe so the pump could start sucking fuel.

On the drain petcock, looking at the way they are made, one must use a light touch when tightening the drain. If you tighten it too much you actually damage the rubber valve gasket. With the clear bowl, I never drain fuel from the filter unless I see water in the bowl, and that is rare.

Glad to see you got up and running. Nothing worse than being broken down.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:15 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
No clear bowl, just a one piece filter. I wish we had the glass bowl. This was the filter National Indoor RV installed when I had some warranty work performed. I carry a Fleetguard FS1065 as my spare.

Different engines have different ways of priming the fuel system. On Entegras with the ISL 450 engine, you can prime the fuel system by turning the key on for 30 to 45 seconds to let the fuel pump run through its cycle. You will have to do this 8 or 10 times in a row maybe more. Much easier to fill the primary and secondary filters
royals1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:47 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by royals1212 View Post
No clear bowl, just a one piece filter. I wish we had the glass bowl. This was the filter National Indoor RV installed when I had some warranty work performed. I carry a Fleetguard FS1065 as my spare.

Different engines have different ways of priming the fuel system. On Entegras with the ISL 450 engine, you can prime the fuel system by turning the key on for 30 to 45 seconds to let the fuel pump run through its cycle. You will have to do this 8 or 10 times in a row maybe more. Much easier to fill the primary and secondary filters
Hopefully, they gave you the clear bowl off the old filter. That bowl is pretty pricey if you have to buy a new one.
Rollin101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 07:00 PM   #6

I paid $18.30 for my clear debris/water/fuel bowl from Freightliner shop in New York last year.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 09:58 PM   #7

Our ISC 380 had a sight glass (clear bowl) on the Fuel Water Separator.

The ISL9 installed in the Aspires and Anthems do not.

Incidentally, the diameter of the FW Separator is smaller on the ISL than the ISC, go figure.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel