Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2022, 03:08 PM   #1

National General ins.

Has anyone any comments on National general insurance Co. Thanks for any info. Best to all
Poppedclams is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2022, 03:32 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
We had them for about 2 years with no claims or tickets. The 3rd years they jumped the rates 30%. Went shopping and found much better rates for us.

It is not hard to shop the insurance companies. Your location and credit rating has a big effect on the rates you are charged. Try an independent agent and see what they can do for you.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:38 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppedclams View Post
Has anyone any comments on National general insurance Co. Thanks for any info. Best to all
I had them for several years with Good Sam's. However they got non competitive for coaches based in FL. Also Marcus Lemonis that owns Good Sam's asked anybody that did not support his support for Biden to please stop doing business with any of his companies. He didn't have to ask me twice, I shredded my GS card and never looked back. I got a better rate with Progressive, so we are both happy.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:05 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had national general a few years ago. I never had any issues with them or any claims.

They became non competitive so we parted ways. It seems every 2 or 3 years whoever I am with thinks I am made of gold. They go crazy with the price so I make them my ex-insurance company.

Good Luck.
Sold 2017 Entegra Cornerstone B
RVFunlovers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:17 PM   #5

I’ve had national general for three years now. No issues, but no claims either. Second year went down a bit and this year up about 7%. Still way cheaper than progressive or any of the other companies I tried.
Warhorse6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:59 PM   #6

Allstate recently purchased National General. I wouldnít use them if the coverage was free. Google top ten worst insurance companies. Allstate is in the business of not paying claims.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:38 PM   #7

I have had National General in the past and had great experience with them through Overland. Overland shops mine every year and we often have to change after a couple of years because policies, rates and coverages change.
Old 08-16-2022, 09:55 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I had them for 3 or 4 years. One claim in that time frame. They were very difficult to work with. The repair shop said that out of all the companies he does claim work for, National General was the hardest and biggest pain in the ass. The shop got paid but he literally had to fight every approval from them.

Before the claim, I saw my rates climb every year $150-$250. Never did they have a good reason why. One time I shopped rates and another broker found a new policy that was 300-400 cheaper annually. When I asked who it was with, they replied National General. I told them that's who I currently had. They stated I should just be able to cancel my policy and they would rewrite another.. When they tried to do that, National General rejected it! I dropped them shortly thereafter.
Old 08-18-2022, 03:48 PM   #9

We are currently with Geico. First year, very reasonable. Second year, a discount and reduced rate.
The last two years increases with no claims. Still, find them reasonable, but suspect given the last three years they, like most, feel the need to raise premiums just because the opportunity is there.
bevandtomH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:23 PM   #10

Word on the street are that owners of "high-end" coaches have been working overtime to wreck, bang, scratch and otherwise create problems with their coaches. Maybe its newbies, but word on the street is that most good paint and repair shops are so busy that the wait is 6 months minimum or more to get in and their project started.

Luckily I have not needed a paint shop in quite a while but have some friends in the RV repair business and they say that business is really booming. Apparently, it is easier to buy a motorcoach than it is to drive one .... .

If there are lots of dents, wrecks, and scratches, then insurance rates are going to go up and that is also what I have been told by everyone I have talked to. I try to "shop" insurance rates every year as I hate paying top dollar for expensive insurance, but I have found virtually no deals..... I get within a couple hundred dollars of the same figure with every major insurance company I ask for a price quote. The one place that most of us don't want to find ourselves in is being under-insured !!

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2022, 08:32 PM   #11

Price

The price of parts and labor is thru the roof. Insurance companys are in business to make money. If they pay out more they have to charge more. Look for all insurance to go up, just like everything else.
Gooma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 05:26 AM   #12

I've had them for 3 years. Only 1 claim and that was a windshield. I had 1 windshield with a crack from a stone and the other side was popped out at the bottom which is common on my coach. I told them I believe both issues happened at the same time as I noticed them both after driving through a very rough construction zone for a few miles. An adjuster called me to go over and to my surprise they paid to replace my right glass And to remove, clean, and re-install my left glass. Whole process took about 2 weeks for glass to ship, get appointment, and repair. So at least with this minor repair I was pretty satisfied with them.
Ironically my renewal was a month later and my rate went up about 5%, not unexpected anyway with the economy etc.
I expect it will start going up at some time just as they always do to current customers and I'll shop around, but at this point all good.
Old 08-23-2022, 04:44 PM   #13

National General is on my S__T list

I had National General Insurance on my 2015 Aspire for one year. It was supposed to be set up for electronic delivery of documents but that didn't happen. I received my mailed renewal notice exactly one day after leaving on a 60-day trip. My error, I made the mistake of relying on the company and did not add a reminder to my calendar. About halfway through the trip, my insurance expired. As it would happen, on the last day to restore my expired insurance, I took a major rock chip that mandated windshield replacement. I called National General and was given a claim number, with no mention of policy being expired. I called the service facility near my home base to start the process of ordering the new windshield. Immediately after our return, I called the service facility to set the appointment and was told the claim number was invalid due to expired policy. Had NG said your policy is expired, we can't cover it, I would have reinstated the policy and paid out of pocket for my mistake. Instead, they allowed me to drive almost 2000 miles without insurance. For that, National General has forever lost my business.
Old 08-23-2022, 05:03 PM   #14

I've had National General (through Good Sams) for about 5 years. 3 Class C RVs.

2 claims and they went easy without any hassles.

1: Chip in front windshield. Cost me $0 deductible. Was done quickly.
2: Stolen catalytic converter. They operated quickly. Slight delays to get it installed, but that was due to supply chain issues and delay in getting the Ford catalytic converter. They ended up sending $500 too much to the RV repair shop. When I asked National General what they wanted me to do, they surprisingly said, "Keep it if you want, or send it back." Yep, you read that right...lol. I kept it and applied it to some other work I had the repair shop performing.

That's my experience with them.

Note: I have never shopped them around to see if I can get cheaper. Maybe I should.

-Chris
SJ-Chris is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
national