Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-01-2018, 08:35 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Navi.exe serious error

When we picked up our 2015 Aspire 44B from Dixie RV in Louisiana we noted several defects and deficiencies that required ordering parts. No problem, they said, but to date (3 weeks later) I don’t have any parts nor even status except “it’s ordered”. All of these I have work around for.

Except the radio. It turns on OK but when you try to go to Nav you get a message that the “program NAVI.EXE encountered a serious problem and needs to shut down”. Their tech guy told me all it needed was an update.

I’m familiar with electronics but not this particular item. Anyone have any insights as to possible causes and fixes for this issue?

Thanks for your help!
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2018, 09:04 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnontheroad View Post
When we picked up our 2015 Aspire 44B from Dixie RV in Louisiana we noted several defects and deficiencies that required ordering parts. No problem, they said, but to date (3 weeks later) I don’t have any parts nor even status except “it’s ordered”. All of these I have work around for.

Except the radio. It turns on OK but when you try to go to Nav you get a message that the “program NAVI.EXE encountered a serious problem and needs to shut down”. Their tech guy told me all it needed was an update.

I’m familiar with electronics but not this particular item. Anyone have any insights as to possible causes and fixes for this issue?

Thanks for your help!
I will spare you my opinion about the "service" you are getting from your dealer, but MAYBE can help with the "update" you need. IF you have the removable SD card that is the Rand McNally GPS built into your dash "head unit", then you will need to DL and install the Rand McNally "DOCK" from their website. The "DOCK" is what updates your SD card, via your PC.

FWIW, IMO, RM should stick to printing road Atlases, because their GPS is the most frustration POC I ever used (and gave up on).
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:09 AM   #3

John (presumably)

When they say, it needs an update, that usually translates to, you need to update the software. That usually means it is something you can do. The software is held on an SD card that or micro SD card plugs into the GPS. Now, on my 15 Anthem, you got to it by tilting out the display like you are going to insert a CD or DVD and in the middle of the bottom edge, you find the SD card. If you push the little card in, out pops the SD card.

Now you have to download and install the Rand-McNally Dock software from Rand-McNally’s home page. Download and install. Now hopefully your laptop or computer has an SD card slot. If it does, now insert the SD card and the Rand McNally software will see it... look for your current version of software and the version of your maps, and if your software needs updated, will download the operating system (what is probably wrong in your case) and install it, and once installed, look for current newer maps. If your computer does not have an SD reader slot, for about 8 bucks on Amazon, you can find a “USB TO SD CARD READER” dongle which lets you insert your SD card into the dongle and plug the dongle into a USB slot which virtually any computer has if made in the past decade. All this will update software and maps and sounds like they feel it will resolve the problem.

Now, this is based on my equipment in my Anthem and maybe your newer coach is totally different.. if it is, sorry for the wrong information but it might help someone else.

PM me if I need to clarify anything

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:18 AM   #4

Ed

Just for your information.... except for periodic update, my Rand McNally GPS has worked flawlessly since I bought my 15 in 15 and the company that actually puts all that unit together (a company named something Springs) has been easy to work with. In the heat of summer with the coach baking in the heat of Galveston, TX let’s say, the whole unit world get very hot and apparently there is a small cooling fan in it which they said failed. Without any troubles they said let us send you a whole replacement and Z3ntegra paid a mobile repair guy to swap it out

My suggestion is don’t waste your time with either Entegra CS or Rand-McNally on this one but rather get the number of the company that I can’t retrieve their name (from EC CS) and talk to their CS about your problem.... I am guessing it might get closer to a resolution of your problem. They have been VERY responsive in the 2 or 3 calls I have made to them.

Gary
Old 03-01-2018, 09:44 AM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Gary is correct. If you need CS at Entegra, Mike O'Connell is the one to speak with. He came from Riverpark or call Riverpark directly, they are great to work with.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 09:50 AM   #6

Riverpark.... I gotta write that down

Gary.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:25 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the replies. Just FYI, I made my living in the tech world and have no problem with finding and doing updates etc. in fact, RM Dock has run diagnostics and found no problems. Tell that to the GPS. So I will look up Riverpark and see if I can get some help that actually knows their products. Not complaining about EC, they have enough on their plate without something like this. Thanks for the lead.

John
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 10:42 AM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
I guess I will be the bad guy in this thread and tell you not to waste your time or money with that GPS it is junk and has many complaints on IRV2 about it.
I would by a Garmin RV770 LMT-s or RV660LMT. This is hands down a better GPS than what you have.

I have the same GPS you have and after it tried to take me down dead end gravel roads I ditched it. People told me that the software was out dated, but my Garmin gets outdate on the software to and it has never taken me down roads I should not be on.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:53 AM   #9

My service writer for my factory even volunteered that the GPS unit was “junk”
Old 03-01-2018, 10:56 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
I have to say my RM has been flawless after the updated SD card was sent by Riverpark. That could be John's problem, the original owner may never have had the card replaced by Riverpark when they had the recall. It involved a deposit, so he may have passed.
Old 03-01-2018, 11:25 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Rand McNally went through a rash of bad SD cards that gave the same program error you are seeing. I personally have been through 3 control heads and I think 8 SD cards, to include a new one last week from Entegra during our AIR. So far this one seems to be working.

Contact RiverPark Tech Support, (574) 522-7781, and explain the problem you are having. They should send a replacement card. You will have to give them your credit card info as they place a $200 hold until they receive the old card back.

Hopefully that resolves your problem. I'm hoping this last card I received is exactly that, the last card

Brian
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 12:43 PM   #12

If it is the original SD card, it is too small to handle the new operating systems and new maps. That was the big problem. You needed to trade it in to get the larger SD card. The exchange deposit is absurd but what they required. You can buy an equivalent SD card to the one they will send you for maybe 20 bucks, which is a lot easier than the $200 exchange. But they will refund the money when you return the card. If you have the original SD card, then I am not surprised that your GPS does not work.... it simply is not big enough to handle the current maps and software.

Now, I ALWAYS have a Garmin GPS running and in the DW's hands. She uses it to plot places to stop for lunch or spend the night, or to check on what the RM is telling me is the right thing to do. She has gotten pretty good with her Garmin (she was completely buffaloed by what you needed to do to operate it initially), and it is nice to see the two GPSs agree on what will happen two miles down the road. The RM is supposed to route you on only roads with are high enough for your coach, wide enough, long enough with toad, and can handle your weight, which most of the independent GPSs cannot do. A hundred fifty dollar Garmin is a nice double check.

But, check the size of your SD card.... see what size it is.... 8 gigs, 16 Gigs, 32 gigs so you know that when you call Riverpark.... if it is the original SD card, then the problem is not RM's, it is the previous or current owner. JMHO

Gary
Old 03-01-2018, 01:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary.Jones View Post
Ed

Just for your information.... except for periodic update, my Rand McNally GPS has worked flawlessly since I bought my 15 in 15 and the company that actually puts all that unit together (a company named something Springs) has been easy to work with. In the heat of summer with the coach baking in the heat of Galveston, TX let’s say, the whole unit world get very hot and apparently there is a small cooling fan in it which they said failed. Without any troubles they said let us send you a whole replacement and Z3ntegra paid a mobile repair guy to swap it out

My suggestion is don’t waste your time with either Entegra CS or Rand-McNally on this one but rather get the number of the company that I can’t retrieve their name (from EC CS) and talk to their CS about your problem.... I am guessing it might get closer to a resolution of your problem. They have been VERY responsive in the 2 or 3 calls I have made to them.

Gary
I'm happy for you, and glad you like yours. I am aware that Riverpark is owner friendly, in fact they replaced my entire "head unit" and supplied a new SD card when my ccoach was only a few months old. NIRVC did the R & R, and it apparently works as designed. BUT, the multiple steps the RM programming makes the user go through to enter a destination (when compared to my Garmins) just makes it too frustrating to use. Granted, I'm more used to using the Garmin, but I found the processor speed of the RM just too slow, and it continued to get confused when I didn't follow its prescribed route.

Also, my Garmin doesn't have that persistent and annoying "speed warning" that the RM provides
edgray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 01:22 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
Also, my Garmin doesn't have that persistent and annoying "speed warning" that the RM provides
That can be turned off, I shoved a rag in her mouth too.
Nothing wrong with a Garmin, I bought one as a backup. Outside of double checking routes, thankfully I have never had to use it, but I will always have the backup.