Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2021, 03:57 AM   #1

Near disaster in Louisiana

I was driving east on I-10 on Sunday evening. I just passed a few cars and was moving back into the right lane when I noticed water gushing out of the right rear panel of the coach. I couldn't understand where the water could be coming from. I quickly moved to the shoulder but couldn't get but about a foot off the road due to a guardrail. I jumped out and ran to the back where buckets of what I thought was water was spilling out. Well it wasn't water, it was diesel fuel. I ran to the front and turned the motor off. I checked it out and apparently the gasket failed on the fuel filter (FF63009). I've never had that happen before. But here we are, Sunday evening along side the interstate with cars/trucks whizzing by at 70 MPH and we can't move.

I do all my own maintenance and always have from the time I was an owner/operator back in the 70's so I know that filter was installed correctly. I lube the outer and inner gaskets and torque it to 28 ftlb's. I changed that filter at last service 4500 miles ago. Anyway finding someone to come out on a Sunday evening and have the correct filter could have been a real challenge. But I carry several spares of all the filters and changed it and was back on the road in less than an hour. The point is, even if you don't do any of your own maintenance, you should carry extra filters in case of an emergency.

Last note, I called my son who is a diesel mechanic to get some advice. He told me that happened to a CAT motor one time and it took him 5 hours to get the motor running again. I cycled the key 5 times waiting about 15 seconds between cycles with the key on and it fired right up. The lift pump filled the empty filter and I had no problems. Sure am glad I had an extra filter...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2021, 04:23 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
I always carry spare filters like you do. At this point I have not had to use them on the road but, when I have the oil changed sometimes they don't have one or the other fuel filters. Once they didn't have the oil filter so I was glad I had a spare.

Glad your back on the road, sitting there on the Interstate is not a pleasant experience.
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 05:20 AM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
A number of years ago I had a Beaver Monterey 30ft. I kept blowing the O ring out of the fuel filter. I carried more than one extra filter. I finally figured out that it happened right after I filled the tank and would keep happening until the tank went down some. I took it to Cat and they said there was back pressure on the fuel return line. They would not work on fixing because they said it was a coach problem. I took it to Lesmeister repair in Rochester MN and they figured out that the return line ran along side the tank. It was rubber and the tank would bow out and squeeze the return line every time the Tank was full.

They blocked the motorhome up, dropped the running gear, lowered the tank and routed the line up over the top.

Very expensive, no help from Beaver, they were still in business at that time.
Old 02-02-2021, 05:57 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
GREAT post. On the Classics there was a recall on the secondary filter for the same reason. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f278/63-...ed-220611.html
It did leave one of our forum members stranded in NE along side of the road for a day trying to find a Fuel filter. Joyce was called and magically she found one out in the middle for NE 60 miles away. Many of us, including me, got the spare filters together for our new coaches that has never been on a trip yet.

It looks like Fleetguard or another filter manufacture has another "oops" that can leave people strand. Thank you for the heads up.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 06:59 AM   #5

Great post, thanks for sharing. I too carry extra filters and a small can of diesel to prime the pumps. I carry belts also
buddy110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:09 AM   #6

Good advice for us with gas engines too. Last year in Boulder, Colorado I went in for an oil change at a quick lube (normally have a Ford dealer do it but couldn’t get an appointment for days) and unbeknownst to me they installed a smaller diameter filter.
Not sure if it was a correct filter or not so I’m going to pick one up today and keep in the truck in case I ever am in that situation again.
Thanks for sharing.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:14 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Just went through the linked post, that is the same filter that was recalled before for the same reason. Looks like Fleetguard is still having problems with that filter.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:27 AM   #8

Be careful carrying spare filters. They are bare steel on the inside and will 'flash rust' under the right conditions. If you carry spares, make sure they are completely protected from any moist air. Here a picture of a brand new filter stored in the wrong conditions. You sure do not want to install filters like this one.

BTW, Cat C7 engines can be a real bear to start if they run out of fuel. There are a few tricks to make it easier, but bottom line once they are out of fuel, turning the key off and on won't do a thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rusty New Filter 1.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	24.3 KB
ID:	316735  
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:34 AM   #9

Thanks for sharing and hopefully someone will learn from this.

I was surprised last year we camped next to a couple that said that since they hired all their maintenance done on their coach, they didn't need to carry any tools or filters. I just shook my head. I've seen many times where the tools and extra parts have saved me much anguish.
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 07:41 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I had my annual chassis service on my K2 chassis done at Spartan (A Shyft Group Brand) last November. I have carried a Spartan Care Kit (complete set of filters and belts) since attending a Spartan Academy in June '18. My service technician (Nick) used the filters in my Care Kit for the service and replenished them with a fresh set of filters. That process works well in that I always have spare filters and belts and none are more than a year old.

When Nick replenished my primary filter, he explained that the filter that Spartan stocked had been supplied to them with the wrong gasket. He supplied the correct gasket with the instructions that, when I needed to install the filter, I should discard the gasket contained in the sealed filter package and instead use the gasket that he had supplied.

My recollection is that, in my case, the filter/gasket in question was the primary (FS1098), not the OP's FF63009.

My coach is in storage so I can't access the filter to look at the filter to compare the gaskets.

Take care,
Stu
Old 02-02-2021, 08:01 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Somewhere west of San Antonio, Tx. on I10 I got some dirty diesel. In a few miles we were chugging along at 30 mph and folks were waving "bye bye" as they sped by us. Finally got into a Love's with a service bay and said I needed a fuel filter. They said, "so sorry, no have got". Well, I did have one and they installed it, but then couldn't get the engine fired up. I winced as they sprayed either in the air intake, but after a while it worked, the engine still runs great years later.
Got into Los Cruses that night and immediately purchased two more filters. Don't leave home without them.
2012 Journey 36M, Cummings 360hp
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 10:56 AM   #12

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
I had my annual chassis service on my K2 chassis done at Spartan (A Shyft Group Brand) last November. I have carried a Spartan Care Kit (complete set of filters and belts) since attending a Spartan Academy in June '18. My service technician (Nick) used the filters in my Care Kit for the service and replenished them with a fresh set of filters. That process works well in that I always have spare filters and belts and none are more than a year old.

When Nick replenished my primary filter, he explained that the filter that Spartan stocked had been supplied to them with the wrong gasket. He supplied the correct gasket with the instructions that, when I needed to install the filter, I should discard the gasket contained in the sealed filter package and instead use the gasket that he had supplied.

My recollection is that, in my case, the filter/gasket in question was the primary (FS1098), not the OP's FF63009.

My coach is in storage so I can't access the filter to look at the filter to compare the gaskets.

Take care,
Stu
Great posts! I bought the Spartan kit last year and had planned on using those filters and belts for my service in May and buying fresh ones from Spartan. I'll be sure to have them check to see if it has the proper gasket. Thanks!
2003 Alegro Bus (sold)
garysfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:03 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I've learned the value of a spare fuel filter as well. Same story, except the filter was so tight none of my tools could remove it. Everything slipped, even denting the can. After talking to a diesel mechanic he told me to just get my biggest screwdriver, pound it right through the can and use that. Scared the you know what but it worked.

Also I change my belts every few years. I just carry the old belts as spares, they'll last until me next service.
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 01:42 PM   #14

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnontheroad View Post
Also I change my belts every few years. I just carry the old belts as spares, they'll last until me next service.
My spare belts are new. It just made more sense, to me, to always put on a new belt whenever a belt needed to be replaced.

One suggestion from Big Mike at the Spartan Academy was to keep spare belts "fresh" by using a vacuum sealer to minimize exposure to air or other contaminants while storing. I'm not sure how effective that is, but, it seems like a pretty easy thing to do and can't hurt.

Take care,
Stu