Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-30-2019, 05:57 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Need Advice on Tire Replacement

Hi Entegra Friends,
Need some advice. We have a situation with 5 of our 2016 Anthem tires where there is cracking going on the surface of the tires near the lettering. This issue was identified during our service call at Spartan. After being in touch with Michelin, they have told us that they will cover 70% of the tire cost. The tires have a DOT of 2215.

So, the question is should we just get the 5 tires or get the entire set replaced given that the tires are 4+ years old?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2019, 06:08 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
With Michelin covering 70% of the cost (I assume tires only, not the labor), then I would look at the FMCA program for the 3 other tires to see what they cost if you are a member of FMCA.

Not sure what size tires your coach has on the front and rears (same size, or are the fronts larger), but 5 is an odd number, and depending which 5 are being replaced, I would probably replace at least 6 to have new ones on the same axles, and hopefully new ones on the front.

My coach has 295 80R 22.5 on the front, and 275's on all the rears.

Let us know your tire size(s), and others will respond here.
2013 Thor Challenger 37DT - Sold
Mwoodofd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:27 PM   #3

I would replace them all.

Get a credit from the installing dealer for the rest as he will probably sell them to a truck driver.
KiteSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:35 PM   #4

Arwinder....

I'd probably jump at the offer to get new tires for 70% of cost on 4 year tires. Make sure that both tires on the steer axle are replaced with new, equivalent tires. As another poster suggested, the FMCA Michelin tire offer is pretty good. Give that a serious examination for any new, uncovered tires. That is a significant savings. FInally, if you don't replace them all, don't let them put a new tire paired with an old tire in a drive axle pair.... only new pairs there.
(a new one and an old one will have different diameters and that can be a problem with scuff or wear).

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5FI
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:38 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Replace them all. If 5 are doing it now, when will the others start? Do it all now and be worry free.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:31 PM   #6

I would replace them all (8). That is a very nice offer from the tire company to cover 75% on 5 of them. The rest will follow shortly if you don't replace them now in any case.
gizmo123316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 07:39 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Thanks everyone for the swift feedback.

I should have mentioned that the tires affected are, both fronts (315/80R/22.5), both tag axles (295/80R/22.5)
and one outer rear (295/80R/22.5).

Given the age of the tires, we were also considering going ahead and changing all tires, so the feedback is great. We are FMCA members so will look into that as well.
Old 10-01-2019, 02:32 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Agree, swap them all out.

Also, whomever you select to get the tires from, make sure what they have in stock have recent date codes. I called a shop, where the tires were two years old. Some have told me that 4 years is acceptable. Not on our coach. May take a bit of hunting, but call around to find the shop that has the tire you want, with a date code of no more than a couple months old. Worked for me.

Good Luck!!
Cheers!
HarleySG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:21 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleySG View Post
Agree, swap them all out.

Also, whomever you select to get the tires from, make sure what they have in stock have recent date codes. I called a shop, where the tires were two years old. Some have told me that 4 years is acceptable. Not on our coach. May take a bit of hunting, but call around to find the shop that has the tire you want, with a date code of no more than a couple months old. Worked for me.

Good Luck!!
Cheers!

Thanks. Will definitely keep this in mind as start looking.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:38 PM   #10

I would quick check a few prices for Toyo, Firestone and Yokohama before I committed. Michelin are not my fav choice because of that cracking.

Ken

2018 Entegra Aspire 44W .
Ken Sair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 07:43 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
With the tires affected, your drive axle wolud have 3 old, and 1 new. I would definitely replace them all, and with Michelin covering 70% of 5 of them, then your drive axle would have 4 new tires, all the same size. The old tire will be slightly smaller than the new one on that axle.

I had a mis-match size on one of my drive axles, ( a 295 and a 275 when I purchased the coach, I was the 2nd owner) and since one is turning faster than the other, I think the shorter tire was "skipping" along to the point where I had a slick on that tire. I kept seeing tire "dust" on my wheels when I stopped, and finally figured it out with the help of many on this forum.
Old 10-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #12

Mark, isn’t it amazing how scarce common sense is? It’s possible the mismatch was deliberate to save a buck.

Silly.

-Matt
2016 Open Range RF376FBH (Sold)
Matt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 04:25 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt D View Post
Mark, isn’t it amazing how scarce common sense is? It’s possible the mismatch was deliberate to save a buck.

Silly.

-Matt
Yes, I never figured out who rotated the tires to the inner drive position (both fronts were moved to the inner drives) I know my dealer did not move them since they didn't do much mechanical work back in those days. I have to think the original owner rotated the tires not knowing the fronts had 295, and the backs were 275. I put 2 new Goodyears on the front back then and switched to Michelin's a few years ago - happy with them. My front tires appear to be wearing normally after inspecting from your post this morning.

Tags
ace, advice, replace, replacement