Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2017, 01:06 PM   #1

Need Help with 2017 Anthem Coax routing

Hi All,

I am new here and have a new 2017 Anthem 44B...
I am trying to connect my RV to the ComCast Xfinity Internet service. I will not be doing the TV or phone, just internet. There is a coax connector in the electrical bay next to the 50Amp reel that connect to the cable coming in from the site power/comm post.

Does anyone know where the cable goes to from the back plate? I follow it from the back of the plate towards the middle of the coach with some other wires and then gone. I have no idea where it goes from there.

Entegra CS no help.

Thanks,

John
mycrew143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-22-2017, 01:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrew143 View Post
Hi All,

I am trying to connect my RV to the ComCast Xfinity Internet service. I will not be doing the TV or phone, just internet. There is a coax connector in the electrical bay next to the 50Amp reel that connect to the cable coming in from the site power/comm post.

Does anyone know where the cable goes to from the back plate? I follow it from the back of the plate towards the middle of the coach with some other wires and then gone. I have no idea where it goes from there.

Entegra CS no help.

Thanks,

John
Hi John and welcome to the Entegra Forum..!

That wire most likely terminates in the area above your fireplace where the Bose system and other assorted electronics reside. Look on the left hand side. You might be able to see a "cable in" hookup there.

Jeanne
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 01:32 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
John, Sorry I can't help on the newer model Entegra. If someone here does not have the answer, Mike O'Connell at Entegra CS is the AV expert and will know the answer. He was hired from River Park the AV supplier for Entegra.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

That cable runs to the back of your Winegard antenna booster/control. I'm assuming this is the Rayzar Automatic if it's like our 2016. Both the off-air antenna and the cable TV coax runs connect to the back of the switch. The output from this switch goes to the various TVs in the coach via an RF splitter. The switch doesn't just turn on the antenna booster but also switches between the off-air antenna and the CATV feed in the basement compartment. When the booster light is on it will select the off-air antenna. When you want to use cable TV then you must turn the antenna booster off. That's not a problem unless you want some TVs to watch the antenna and some to watch cable, which isn't possible. You can most likely use that cable to get your Internet feed in but you will have to leave the antenna booster off, which means you won't be able to use any off-air or cable TV at that time.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
That cable runs to the back of your Winegard antenna booster/control. I'm assuming this is the Rayzar Automatic if it's like our 2016. Both the off-air antenna and the cable TV coax runs connect to the back of the switch. The output from this switch goes to the various TVs in the coach via an RF splitter. The switch doesn't just turn on the antenna booster but also switches between the off-air antenna and the CATV feed in the basement compartment. When the booster light is on it will select the off-air antenna. When you want to use cable TV then you must turn the antenna booster off. That's not a problem unless you want some TVs to watch the antenna and some to watch cable, which isn't possible. You can most likely use that cable to get your Internet feed in but you will have to leave the antenna booster off, which means you won't be able to use any off-air or cable TV at that time.
So does this mean he can pickup the cable where it terminates at the various TV's?
Magic-carpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:43 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I can't say exactly about a 2017 Anthem44B, but I recently ran new cables into my 2014 Anthem44B entertainment area.

The cable(S) run from the Satellite antenna and cable exterior jack to the vicinity of the water pump compartment. They split there and run to the various locations. The cable to the entertainment area runs into a cable chaise where a bunch of wires run inside the aft large channel iron that is geared to the slide motor. The cable runs to the outside wall of the slide then runs along the bottom (concealed by trim) then runs vertically up inside the wall behind the fireplace.

I was able to fish a new RG-6 and Cat-5 cables into the entertainment area by removing the left side fake door to the fireplace cabinet. Then I carefully used a hole saw bit about 1 inch above and 2 inches right of the left bottom floor at the back of the cabinet. I went outside and used a plastic rod and pushed a hole thru one of the visible but not used holes in the outer slide wall where I saw several RG-6 cables going up in vicinity of fireplace. From there I was able to run the cable the same way as the other cables and into the cable chaise then into the basement.

A PITA, but possible.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:47 PM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Hi All,

Entegra CS no help.

Thanks,

John
John, what bothers me about your post is the part where "Entegra CS no help". They really should be able to help, maybe they will need to get the info and call you back. But, they wired the coach and since Entegra does not seem fit to supply schematics and wiring diagrams someone needs to get off of their read end and find out for you. Again, like Chuck said - call back and ask for Mike O.

If all you want is internet, maybe just run Comcast's cable in through a window or slide seal to their modem.
Old 08-22-2017, 04:59 PM   #8

yes, agreed, you are trying to use a cable TV coax input to feed your INTERNET - not what it's designed for.

it would seem much easier to find a simple place to run your coax cable from the internet terminal on your property into your coach directly - thru a window, slide seal opening, etc.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:24 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic-carpet View Post
So does this mean he can pickup the cable where it terminates at the various TV's?
Yes, he can. However, it will run through the antenna switch first and then the splitter. For a CATV/RF feed thatwould be fine but I don't know how good of a signal would be at the TV after all that for Internet use. I know that RF pushes through but Internet can lose signal strength pretty fast at each connection, splitter, switch, etc.

I would run a clean cable myself but it would take more work. It would be easy enough to try using the CATV cable to the TV to see if the signal is strong enough.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:45 PM   #10

Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. I call back Entegra CS and talked to Mike who someone suggested and this was a big help. He knew where the cables was run too which he states goes direct to the cabinet above the door behind the panel.
After a discussion about connecting this in I have decided just to run a second coax cable from the electrical bay up into some cabinet and terminate the Comcast modem there. Keeping it simple.

Thanks again

John
mycrew143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 06:53 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
"Simple" is my favorite 6 letter word. Not knowing the new models, but on my Classic, running a separate cable for a modem, leaving the factory AV cabling in tact would would be the easiest and "best" for resale. Nothing worse on a used coach than to have cobbled up wiring of any kind.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:19 AM   #12
rbr

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Hi All,

Thanks for the feedback. I call back Entegra CS and talked to Mike who someone suggested and this was a big help. He knew where the cables was run too which he states goes direct to the cabinet above the door behind the panel.

After a discussion about connecting this in I have decided just to run a second coax cable from the electrical bay up into some cabinet and terminate the Comcast modem there. Keeping it simple.

Thanks again

John

A friend at our winter park just puts the Comcast modem/wifi box in the basement and run a cable directly to it from the post. Works fine both inside and outside his coach.
rbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbr View Post
A friend at our winter park just puts the Comcast modem/wifi box in the basement and run a cable directly to it from the post. Works fine both inside and outside his coach.

That is the way we have done it at our winter site for years. Works good most of the time but occasionally it will drop a connection. Would be better up inside. JMHO

Tags
need help