RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Entegra Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2020, 07:34 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Need to Know...

I currently own a Newmar Dutchstar 2018 4326 bunk model. I am disappointed in the reliability of the coach. It seems like everytime we go out, i need to spend some serious $$ to fix issues. Maybe I got a bad one...

My 1st coach, a Fleetwood Discovery 40G was a lot more dependable and inexpensive to own.

I am currently thinking of selling it and trying an Entegra Anthem 44R. I know nothing about Entegra.

Please share with me your pros and cons of Entegra ownership.

Thank you in advance.
Fitztrux is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2020, 07:44 AM   #2

Wonder how much the newer coach with its far more complex systems has to do with reliability???

Most manufactures have (likely accurately) assessed that buyers want all the toys and reliability is not even part of the purchase discussion.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:54 AM   #3

Newmar and Entegra are extremely similarly constructed motorhomes and both Companies are very good at what they do but occassionally there is a problematic unit built. The 2 year Entegra warranty is IMHO a huge deal and an important consideration in choosing an Entegra.

We moved from a Tiffin Allegro Bus to our 16 Entegra Anthem and our first year except for junk Samsung microwaves replaced w/Whirlpool we were fairly trouble free but somehow a bunch of " gremlins " appeared in year 2 , Samsung Fridge replaced w/Whirlpool , potable water pump, window issues, cracked floor tile BUT the really great news was all was resolved with no questions either at repair facilities, mobile Tech's or at our 2 year Factory Appointment . Did I mention how great the 2 year warranty is ?

If you're looking to move from your Dutchstar to a 42' to 45' bunk model Entegra I believe you'd be very satisfied. Just remember there aren't any bulletproof motorhomes !
Old 12-03-2020, 08:00 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My failures are all component related. Steps, water heater, camera failure, HVAC issues, the list goes on....

Thank you in advance, I just wanted to get a different ownership view.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:08 AM   #5
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
They are like helicopters. Ten thousand loose parts flying in close formation.

Something is always breaking or loose. We laugh when we do not find something during the checklist to drive the rv someplace. "We must have missed it". But alas, the thing will show up. Loose hardware, slide seals that need attention, slide covers, awnings, steps, cracked facial parts holding switches, air conditioner not running, refer needing repairs again, hornets in the heater blocking the squirrel cage, salesman switch solenoid bonkers, batteries tired, tires aged out.

And that was just last week!

Ok, we bought ours new in 2008 and have spent thousands on repairs and changes. I do 99.9 % of the work myself but just the same. Thousands on things.

I have not owned an RV that didn't cost me money. The best was a simple slide in camper on a pickup. The two TT's were mostly trouble free but leaks around windows and vents of course. Two C's, one which leaked profusely brand new. One that had an intermittent fuel pump.

An A that I loved but the brakes were basically not there.. Brand new and they could not make them work better. I carried an anchor for emergency braking.

Sold that A to buy our full time unit. Almost 300K at the time and it handled like a bumper car. Keeping it in a lane was a full time job. That took close to 10K to finally resolve over all.

Shall I keep on depressing you?

You need to be handy with a voltmeter, tools, and a check book, especially with a very complex monster living on a fault line.

Just like a helicopter, airplane, or boat. They are hobbies in themselves and you work on them one hour and play with them one hour. For helicopters I understand it is 2 hours of work. Never owned one but know some that do.

Cheers!
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:01 AM   #6

I've owned three coaches. First one a used Dynasty about 10 years old. Ran great. Then a new 2015 Anthem.... spent two years getting things repaired on warranty. Ran great the third year before I decided to step up a model to the Cornerstone. Then a new 2019 Cornerstone and I again have spent 2 years getting things repaired and working under warranty. We really like the coach, but I have been in an amazing number of repair facilities getting things fixed on warranty. Hopefully our third year (which just began) is trouble free. Dee and I swear that we have had everything worked-on at least once.

Strangely, on our 15 Anthem, the Cummins and Spartan frame were virtually trouble free and the problems were largely in the coach. On this '19, the problems have been largely in the Cummins and the Spartan frame and not so much big in the coach.

The two year warranty is VERY IMPORTANT TO ME!!!! If you have problems, you will find most of them and get them fixed the first or second time within 2 years. So, assuming warranty remains the same, I would always buy an Entegra compared to a one year warranty Newmar. These things are a bunch of system that have to be de-bugged and made to work well IMO. Fixing them or having them fixed is a part of ownership. You gotta get used to it. The one thing that you hear in this world is that you can spend 2.5 million on a Prevost conversion and have just as many problems...... only difference is if you have the cash to buy a 2.5 million dollar Prevost, you probably have someone else who can drive your coach to where it needs to go to get fixed, wait for it to get fixed and bring it bvack to you and you don't have to deal with that problem yourself....

Gary
Demco Baseplate, Demco Toad Light system, 73 de W5Fi
Gary.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:38 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Precisely the feedback I was looking for. Don't need a lesson about coach ownership. That being said, would you buy another Entegra?

2 year warranty a plus, for sure. I've had my issues with Cummins as well, but they and Freightliner have taken good care of me on the engine and chassis side.

Are Spartan chassis dealers a challenge? Have lots of experience with class 8 truck dealerships and have a lot of Freightliner connections across the country.

Don't know anything about Spartan. Comments?

Thanx again...
Old 12-03-2020, 12:16 PM   #8

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
My wife and I recently sold our home in Virginia and purchased a 2020 Entegra Aspire 44R new off the lot. (August 2020)

I cannot stress doing a thorough PDI. This newer coaches have a ton of features that might need to be updated with software updates. Firefly, Rand McNally GPS and Xite updates all needed to be done which our dealership didnít do. Also check every electronic option.

I wouldnít even look at a 2 house battery system, with 4 fresh batteries you are only looking at 7-10 hrs of use before batteries need to be recharged.

I have been very impressed with the ride quality and driving experience of the 44R. The bunk beds have worked very well for our boys (4 & 7).

Interior fit and finish is very nice. Like most folks I assume there are things I have changed. I am not a fan of the wineguard wifi system as it wonít allow you to change the SIM card. We removed the Samsung DVD players and replaced with AppleTV system for a better experience.

I do wish that the firefly system was a bit more intelligent. You cannot program your thermostat on a schedule.

We chose the 44R because of the mid full bath vice the rear full bath of the 4326. The shower is much roomier.

Overall as a new coach owner I can say I would buy this model again.
JSW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 12:18 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Great comments, thank you for the input.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Wonder how much the newer coach with its far more complex systems has to do with reliability???

Most manufactures have (likely accurately) assessed that buyers want all the toys and reliability is not even part of the purchase discussion.
i think you're pretty accurate with this statement
dave&ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 01:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitztrux View Post
My failures are all component related. Steps, water heater, camera failure, HVAC issues, the list goes on....

Thank you in advance, I just wanted to get a different ownership view.
Are your failures due to workmanship in installing the components, just the components themselves, or ???

The components that are failing are they the bottom of the item or the better quality ones?

If the water pump that is in both coaches are the same, then you need to figure out why yours failed? if you bought another brand coach what is there to say the same brand water pump would not fail in the new coach.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:55 PM   #12

Having owned motor homes for the last 45 years I feel that a lot of the components that were made in the 90's were better built to last then ones that are built today. Just a gut feeling.
Old 12-03-2020, 02:25 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
I would agree with everyone above. And as an owner of several Entegras, I think their quality has improved over the years. I was speaking to a dealer principal a while back and he explained to me that up until 2018, based on their records, new Newmar's were more reliable than Entegras. Meaning they were in for fewer warranty repairs. Since that time, the roles have reversed and Entegras are now the unit with fewer warranty repairs.
Nowabeachbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 05:07 PM   #14

I have had 40+ items that I have repaired myself over2 years, and 3 that were corrected at an RV repair facility, because I didn't have the equipment. With that said, as others have said the 2 year warranty and the Customer Service group at Entegra are great and knowledgeable. The folks on this forum are very helpful and have lots of experience with these coaches, and are always willing to help. One of the suggestions I have and because of my background; take photos and record the problem, the cause and the remedy. Also date the issue. I use a spreadsheet to record all the items. Good luck!
billb3672 is offline   Reply With Quote